Quantcast

List the best scan tool and why.

I really think dealer tools are the way to go. If not going dealer I'd probably look at a pico scope and a solus edge. Possibly a verus with a backup scope like a pico. I've looked at the maxisys pro and like it but it seems limited in domestic. Snap on clearly has the best coverage, but the price is a little steep. At a recent training the instructor mentioned that with a basic obdII interface eventually it would be possible to rent the dealer tool software (basically) on a daily or weekly basis.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

We have an :

Ethos

Modis Ultra

Verus Edge ( on loan from snap-on right now)

Tech 2 emulator with the MDI

Ford VCM II

for must stuff we are able to use the Modis its fast and easy, and can do most everything. I am thinking about adding the Verus and at 5800 bucks it kind of hard not to. We only really use our dealer tools when we have to, but I would like to add Chrysler by the end of the year.

I use a tiny autel al319 for quick scans and obd readiness. Its fast and costs $50. 4 steps to success: Scan, identifix, diag with scope or multimeter, done.

I also have an autel maxisys ms908 pro when bi directional controls are needed, it works great on euro cars and mostly everything actually.

That's it for me, I agree the factory tools are the best but for $3500 (or less on amazon) the ms908 does 85% of $150,000 worth of factory tools.

Keep in mind I'm not an hourly employee and I'm not new to the drivability game. I don't get paid to study a whole list of pids to fix a clogged egr port or rusted evap solenoid. Like I said get the code and physically check the part. Any scanner can give you fuel trim, maf, CTS, ect it's not that complicated.

Edited by alfredauto
  • Like 4

The Autel 908 is bang for the buck the best scanner out there in my opinion. I never see myself owning another Snap On Tool after the debacle that was the first wireless verus I had, that thing was insanely expensive, slow, and crashed repeatedly. And Snap On couldn't fix it, best thing that ever happened was my shop was broken into and it was stolen.

• 2 weeks later...

Talking about scanners, I got a good one .I purchased new Verus Feb 2015, I get a message on it that says Suretrack has expired. I say no it has not I have it on Pro-Demand , I also run Mitchell SE . I tell my Snap On guy he says I see what you are saying. He calls tech support for Snap On, they say update. Update is not due until Feb. So I have a piece of equipment that was sold to me as the latest greatest thing now only half f t works. I like the tool. Snap On, ProDemand and SE need to get there heads together. This is causing serious issues throughout this industry. It is against everything and principle we talk about. Proprietism!!

Talking about scanners, I got a good one .I purchased new Verus Feb 2015, I get a message on it that says Suretrack has expired. I say no it has not I have it on Pro-Demand , I also run Mitchell SE . I tell my Snap On guy he says I see what you are saying. He calls tech support for Snap On, they say update. Update is not due until Feb. So I have a piece of equipment that was sold to me as the latest greatest thing now only half f t works. I like the tool. Snap On, ProDemand and SE need to get there heads together. This is causing serious issues throughout this industry. It is against everything and principle we talk about. Proprietism!!

that's such a small portion of the tool I can't see that it would cause a big issue. Honestly I'd rather them remove it, it leads to guessing. But I can understand being upset about not getting what you paid for!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I agree about guessing even though 1 off my green techs uses it some. As you understand I paid for it , sorta double dipping me . I am really looking at Autel. I can subscribe to Identifix for this upgrade price and get all kinds of info. As the old guy says, "it just ain't right".

I'm sure it's not the best but I use an Autel AL619. For $300 it reads obdII, manufacturer specific codes, ABS and SRS codes, and can read, record and playback live data. Only thing I don't like is it doesn't have it's own power source. I can't unplug it and bring it out to show the customer.

My personnel opinion is the market and business is changing , I would say warp speed at this point , I hate to say it the Chinese have figured it out. Snap-On better get with the program or there issues will be more than a few unhappy customers. The hard thing for me is My Snap On tool salesman is the greatest guy in the world. He is in a pickle. Anyone want to buy a nice 6 month old Verus, or maybe Snap On will trade me out for a Autel 908. It isn't like we are launching the dang space shuttle. As I said they are trying to actually thought at first it was a collision course they did not see coming now I am starting to feel like they want to double dip me. Heck they own all these companies. I think they ,Snap-On, are treading on shaky ground. This is just my experience with Snap On Corp. Not Mitchell or my Snap On rep. Am I wrong , is it just me. Maybe I should have done my homework more before the Verus purchase. Replies appreciated.

• Like 1

My personnel opinion is the market and business is changing , I would say warp speed at this point , I hate to say it the Chinese have figured it out. Snap-On better get with the program or there issues will be more than a few unhappy customers. The hard thing for me is My Snap On tool salesman is the greatest guy in the world. He is in a pickle. Anyone want to buy a nice 6 month old Verus, or maybe Snap On will trade me out for a Autel 908. It isn't like we are launching the dang space shuttle. As I said they are trying to actually thought at first it was a collision course they did not see coming now I am starting to feel like they want to double dip me. Heck they own all these companies. I think they ,Snap-On, are treading on shaky ground. This is just my experience with Snap On Corp. Not Mitchell or my Snap On rep. Am I wrong , is it just me. Maybe I should have done my homework more before the Verus purchase. Replies appreciated.

Maybe I have missed something in the last 3 years when I traded in my Autel. it was slow and didnt do half of what I wanted it to do and what it did do was slow. I ended up purchasing our Verus that we were testing out. (I also would not have bought it and just stuck with the modis if we didnt get the deal that we did)

I like the wireless function, you will not know how much you like it until you try it. I was skeptical at first but now its awesome.

The Scope functions, they allow my guys to not be scared of how to run one, you select the car, the part you are testing and it tells you how to do it and what the wave form should look like. its gravy.

it give you code tips.

TSB's

and more

• 3 years later...

I started my shop in 2014 and bought a Autel MaxiDas. It worked great but then upgraded to the Maxisys Mini and it was awesome. Since Vision 2019 I upgraded to the Autel MaxiSys Elite. Really like it. For the price and capability I don’t think you can beat Autel. I buy my scan tools through AE Tools in Kansas City so if I have any issues I get awesome support. Just my $.02

• 1 month later...

Autel MaxiDiag MD808 Pro

The Autel MaxiDiag MD808 is a good choice for a Professional OBD2 Scan tool because of the smart design and advanced features. It can help with oil and maintenance service light resets. But have some cons like slow speed for scanning & sometimes Inst. manual is indeterminate or vague.