Quantcast

Junior

Warning Dayco Timing tensioner failure!

Just ran into a serious issue that I want to give you guys the heads up on before it costs you a big headache. The last two Subaru timing belt jobs we did used Dayco kit, the tensioner bearing failed. The first one was after 39 miles, the second one only lasted 19 miles. These were sourced through Advance. Looks like the second one may have cost the engine.

I'm waiting to hear back on what happened in the manufacturing process that caused the failure. We have installed tons of these kits with no troubles and have two failures in a row now, something has gone sour.

Save yourself the headache, skip the tensioner or install OE on this one. Will post back with more details once I get an answer.

post-561-0-10002300-1431973334_thumb.jpg

Edited by Junior

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• By Elite Worldwide Inc.
      By Chris Monroe of Elite
      We have all felt that empty feeling in our gut when a client walks back in the door with the “look” shortly after installing that new set of tires on their BMW.  As they uncomfortably begin to describe some rim damage that didn’t exist when the car was dropped off…yuck.

Yes, you have policies in place to address such situations, but for whatever reason, the training on quality control has failed and now you are left to deal with the fallout.  What next?

It is obvious there is a quality control issue that must be addressed, but how you take the next steps are very critical to the image of your business, as well as the credibility of your team.  

The first step is to remain calm while reviewing with the client their concerns.  Walk out to the vehicle and allow them to express what they feel is of issue.  Once you have listened and observed with sincerity, start the process of restoration.

In our case, we had an incorrect set up on the tire machine with a low profile run-flat that ultimately allowed contact with the rim.  This scratched the lip in multiple places.  In addition, the technician continued with the installation without stopping to involve the advisor so we could get in front of the issue with the client.  The technician did tell the advisor, but the timing was such that the client looked at the assembly on the car prior to checking out.  Imagine how much easier this would have been had the advisor gotten to the client immediately to make them aware and assure them that we would professionally restore or replace the wheel.

Needless to say, I spent the next day with each and every technician reviewing the situation and the importance of why we have policy and process in place.  Our technicians are now well aware of what to do (stop immediately and report the issue to the advising team) if damage occurs or could occur to a client’s vehicle, and understand the importance of getting in “front” of these concerns.

A better example this week where a technician wisely notated worn lug nuts and a partially damaged center cap “before” we began work.  He gave the advisor a quick heads up that enabled a client visit to the vehicle to see in person and discuss the concerns.   Not only did we replace the brakes on the car, but also replaced 20 lug-nuts and 4 center caps!  The service concluded with the client scheduling another vehicle for service and thanking our team for being honest and helping resolve the issues.  (This ain’t rocket science folks)

If you are in the automotive service business, incidents can and will happen.  Coach and train your team on how to handle these situations, and demonstrate how important timing is with advising your client.  Your shop's reputation and credibility ride on it.
      This article was provided by Chris Monroe, an industry leading shop owner who recently won the 2018 Tire Dealer of the Year Award, and a Business Development Coach who helps other shop owners reach their goals through the Elite Coaching Program. 

View full article
    • By Hands On
      Had a Chevrolet Cobalt show up at my shop today. The kid called for a quick no start diagnostic. He thought it might be a camshaft position sensor.  I sent my tech out to look at it and he comes back in to ask if I am joking. The Fuel injector rail is out and resting on the valve cover. The super charger is removed two of the intake manifold bolts are missing, one is spaced out with random washers. The kid mentioned none of this dropping it off. He will not answer his phone or texts.
    • By Joe Marconi
      Below is a link to a news video. It's about a mechanic that failed to do a proper inspection, and is now faced with manslaughter charges.

Investigators said Jalbert inspected Donald and Elizabeth Ibey's 1992 Chevrolet Corsica in May 2014, but didn’t inspect the car well enough before passing it. Elizabeth, 83, died in a car crash two months later. Her death could have been prevented, investigators said.

http://www.wptz.com/news/dmv-mechanic-charged-with-manslaughter-in-drivers-death/34659076
    • By Joe Marconi
      One thing I often repeat over and over again is this; "Back in the 1980's, there were three things that made repair shops successful; General Motors, Ford and Chrysler."  Those cars broke down a lot, and there was an endless supply of cars that required a lot of profitable work.
      Well, those days are gone.  Cars today are build better, last longer (thankfully), and have ever-increasing service intervals. Consumers are also conditioned to think that their cars don't need maintenance.  It wasn't that long ago when your customers were coming to you 4 to 5 times a year for service. Now, you are lucky to see those customer twice a year for their routine LOF service. 
      The point here?  You must take a proactive approach and promote preventive maintenance.  You must inform your customers of their next service and any other future service recommendation or repair. You must do all you can to get your customer to return to you. Which means providing the absolute best customer service with quality repairs.
      Even the term "repair shop" needs to redefined.
      Be proactive and you'll be successful!

• By Alex
      Just saw this video today and wouldn't you know it...Look who it is!

• AutoShopOwner Sponsors