Quantcast

Jimbob661

Tech pay plan question

I currently pay fate rate. I'm looking at going with a hybrid system with an hourly rate for 40 hrs plus an hourly rate for hours produced. I also want to add some type of bonus system, I guess on hitting a hours produced goal. I keep running the numbers and it seems that the less hours they produce, they more they make an hour, but if I lower the hourly rate, they make less than on flat rate. It also seems that the closer they get to 40 hrs, they less they make compared to flat rate. I'm going crazy running numbers! They are all starting to run together! Am I looking at it right? Or am I overlooking something? Also am I using the right bonus system, or do I need to base it on sales? Any help would be appreciated . Thanks guys!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• Opinions on my work hours

Hi, everyone   I just opened an auto repair shop about 4 months ago, but I'm still working my full time job as a tech therefore I open the shop from 4 pm until 9pm M-F and 8-5 on Saturday. I'm starting to build customers but most are from referrals and neighbors I don't get much traffic cars. I'm starting to think that the hours I'm open don't really work for the auto repair business seems like after 6 everything dies. Has anyone worked this kind of hours or what do you guys think about this odd hours.

By Zs Automotive, in Workflow Management

• 20 replies
    • How do you keep track of employee hours?

Hello all, We currently pay our techs by the hour until business starts to pick up on mechanic jobs. Techs normally get a 1 hr lunch break (no paid). However, we have noticed that techs are leaving early and showing up late. As an off site owner, I find it difficult to keep track of hours, and would not like to pay for hours techs are not there. We have tried to use the honor system; however, may times techs are "forgetting" to note time in an out on the calendar.    Any suggestions? Do you use an electronic clocking in an out system? Have the manager in charge do it?   Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions.   Regards, Nick 

By CAautogroup, in Auto Repair Shop Management Help? Post Here!

• 11 replies
    • After hours training

DO you pay your techs for after hours training that they requested to go to? We paid for the training.

By spencersauto, in General Automotive Discussion

• 5 replies
    • Shop Labor Rate

What's your houlr labor rate and where are you located? We're currently at $95 in Texas

By spencersauto, in General Automotive Discussion

• 30 replies
    • More Issues with Flat Rate

There has been a lot of controversy recently with flat rate pay plans.  Below is a link to an article about a technician's strike that was held in Chicago. Although the strike and issues in the article centered around dealerships, the article brought up good points about flat rate pay, and the low hourly pay many techs receive.  It points to reasons why many techs are unhappy, leaving the industry and why we have issues attracting quality people to our industry.  I don't want to start a firestorm, and there are many forms of flat rate pay...but, is it time to rethink flat rate pay plans?  And also, we really need to compensate our employees at a standard that is in line with the training, the tools that are required and skills needed these days.  I think it is worth your while to read the article and start a conversation on this topic. http://www.autonews.com/article/20171023/RETAIL05/171029996/  

By Joe Marconi, in Human Resources, Payroll and Training

• 3 replies
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors