Quantcast
    • You can post now and register later. Already registered? sign in now to post with your account.
    • ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Once you submit your question, a new topic will be created for you in our forums. Our moderators may move your topic to a more suitable forum category if one exists. Members will see your topic and be able to respond to your question.

• This will not be shown to other users.
IntegrityAutoCare

Replace Brake Rotors in Pairs: Does anyone ever ask why?

Ok, before you all begin assaulting and attacking me for being a half ass mechanic...let me explain:

I AM NOT posting this because I make a practice of replacing only one brake rotor or because I want to argue a case in favor of such practice. I, like most of you I imagine, have always been taught and trained to replace/refinish brake rotors ONLY in pairs. NO EXCEPTIONS. Or else the world will explode! haha...ok, well, maybe not the world I guess. But presumably something really bad will happen.

But do any of you ever get asked by the customer WHY you had to replace both rotors when only one was "bad"? What do you tell them? Do you just make something up, spout off the same generic response that your old boss/instructor/teacher/mentor, etc. told to you about how you need rotors of the same thickness for equal stopping force blah blah blah or do you actually KNOW the concrete scientific reasoning behind this "universal truth"? I myself am a little fuzzy on the details. It seems like I am constantly having to explain to customers that I had to replace BOTH brake rotors, but when they ask me why, I don't really know exactly. I'm hoping you guys can help me out with either a detailed explanation or a link to some technical artical that will explain it.

I will also accept personal experience as evidence such as "I tried replacing only one rotor one time and the customer was back the very next week in a full body cast with his lawyer pushing the wheel chair."

Ready: GO

We allow visitors to read the first post of each topic. To read this post, please login or register for a membership. 

We allow visitors to read the first post of each topic. To read this post, please login or register for a membership. 

• Like 4

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• By mspecperformance
      I absolutely can't stand that company. They are the leader in the market (auto repair shop management software) and arguably the biggest company however move at a snail's pace when it comes to making any sort of productivity or efficiency changes. They know they have a lock on their subscribers so they are just milking the cows for all they are worth. Even through that annoyance the most annoying thing is their billing department. I have heard horror stories from others but from my experience they are absolutely garbage. I had a QB integrator on the account that I had tried to cancel multiple times. I kept on getting billed for it even though it showed in their records that I had cancelled months prior. 
      I can't wait to move on from these turds.

/end rant
    • By HarrytheCarGeek
      Any of you have seen this deal from Mavis?
      Talk about doing the desperate thing to bring people in through the door.

https://www.mavistire.com/?kmas=1&kmca=91770970572
    • By Mark Johnson
      Do you ever worry that if the credit card you’re using to make business purchases isn’t in your business name that you won’t be allowed to take the deductions?
      The good news is, that’s not the case—even if you have a separate entity!
      This doesn’t mean you should mix personal and business expenses.
      When you take a personal credit card and use it entirely for business expenses, you are essentially contributing this debt to your business.
      You can use the card the same as if it was in the company’s name and deduct every business expense you purchase on it.
      This can be a great strategy, just like with auto loans, when the company is new because it’s harder for new companies to get lines of credit without an established credit history.
      So if you’ve got a personal credit card available for business expenses, feel free to use that card and benefit from all of the rewards!
      To learn more please call 1954-324-0803 or book an appointment at https://calendly.com/markjohnsontaxplanner/45min

View full article
    • By Alex
      Google search rolled out an update that now shows a website's favicon next to the search results on desktop, which started on mobile in May. 
      https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/9290858?hl=en

Interesting read: https://www.androidcentral.com/google-search-results-desktop-now-include-favicons
      What you need to know
      Google is making some changes to the way search results are shown on the desktop. Starting this week, search results will be displayed alongside icons for the websites they link to. The redesign was propagated to mobile devices last year.

• By NATURE
      What are you guys using as lubrication between the abutment shims and the caliper bracket.  I live in the rust belt and the main cause of premature brake pad wear here is frozen pads.  I was using a cold galvanize corrosion inhibitor spray but it didn't work well at all(maybe a year).  Now I'm using green grease, and it has been working better but I'm starting to see cars coming back with sticking pads after like 2 years.  MOPAR 04796269 works really well but it costs more then caviar.  Just curious if there is something affordable out there that won't have me reaching for the file every brake job.

• AutoShopOwner Sponsors

Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Fast Free Shipping on All Orders Over $50

Fast Free Shipping on All Orders Over $50