Quantcast

A Visit From a Retired Shop Owner - - - A lucky conversation

Gonzo

A Visit from a Retired Shop Owner

An elderly customer came to the service counter one day and asked if I had time to check his car out. I asked him what was wrong with his car, and his reply was more than revealing. It was a text book answer, just what a service writer or mechanic would like to hear. His reply was precise enough to inform me of what was going on, without any of the usual hype or meandering/misleading stories that are common. Every Tech and Service Writer has heard things like, how the car used to be blue before it was repainted or how the problem started after leaving their friend’s house, or when the left rear tire went flat. Not this guy. I asked him what the problem was, and he promptly gave me the answer… nothing more, nothing less.

I wrote down the symptom and headed out to the shop to do what I do. As I grabbed the keys I told him, “I’ll see what I can find out.”

The customer nodded his head, and told me he’d wait in the lobby for the results of the tests. No odd questions, no stories of what the last guy did, or any “while ya got it could ya look at this”. In all my years of diagnosing cars it’s rather rare for someone to know that the first thing in any repair procedure is to find out what’s wrong, and not just ask me what I “think” it is before spending money on a diagnostic procedure. He seemed to know what I was doing and knew that I’m not just “looking” at the car as some people put it.

I finished the diagnostics, and headed up to the waiting area to inform him of the results. He listened intently as I explained what I had found out. Then he asked, “I take it the short fuel trim numbers indicated a lean condition? Did you run a power balance test? It’s starting to sound a bit like an intake air leak at this point, did ya find it?

I said, “Yes, I ran all those tests. It led me to a collapsed PCV hose that also had a huge slit in it on the back side of the throttle body where you couldn’t see it. The short fuel trim numbers did indicate a lean condition. I confirmed the short fuel trim readings by spraying a bit of carb cleaner down the throttle body to see if the numbers changed. They did.”

“Yep, that would do it,” he said with a smile, “Sounds like you’ve got it. Easy fix from this point. That sure would change the stoichiometric value, wouldn’t it?”

His questions and reply’s weren’t the usual type of responses I get from the usual customer. This guy was different. There’s something behind all of his questions and answers. This is something that I’d like to diagnose as well as the car. Nobody that I know of ever comes to the repair shop with the correct response. Nobody that I know of ever comes to the repair shop knowing the ideal tests that are needed, and nobody I know of ever understood all the technical stuff I throw out.

I had to ask, “Say, you seem to know a few things about diagnosing today’s cars. It’s very unusual that somebody comes here and knows which tests are going to track down the problem. But you seem to know a lot more than the average guy, how’s that?”

The gent sat up a little straighter, smiled and said, “I retired about 20 years ago, and before that I ran a small repair shop east of here for about 35 years. I still keep up with all the new technology and enjoy working on cars, but the old eyes and knees can’t take it anymore.”

Wow, a fellow mechanic and shop owner… I’m impressed. Of course that started all kinds of conversations about cars, repairs, customers, mechanics in general, and life under the hood. His stories were so remarkably close to what I’ve seen in my 30 years that it put a smile on my face as well. It’s safe to say I found a new friend. Later we got into what it takes to own and keep a shop going. His insight was interesting to say the least. But, I did have this one nagging question I was dying to ask.

“What do you think is the most important attribute to get customers to come to your shop and not somebody else’s?”

He had a one word answer, “Luck.”

Now I have even more questions.

“What’s luck got to do with it?” I asked.

“Luck is what you have. Luck is what gets them in the door. When you have a new customer’s car in the shop, someone you don’t know, or has been referred to you, and you diligently diagnose it, make the repair, and settle up the bill. What is the one thing they all tell you just before they walk out the door?” he profoundly asked.

I didn’t have a clue what he was getting at.

He went on to tell me, “They all say, “I’m going to tell all my friends about you, and I’ll recommend you.”.

Then he asked me a question, “Now, how is it these folks are so darn sure what you’ve done is so good that they’ll recommend their friends, even before they checked what you’ve done? Their perception of the repair is based on what they’ve heard you say, and not what you’ve done. If you’re like me, every job is done with the same care as any other job. But, it still comes down to what the customer thinks of the whole thing. Good work, a good shop, and a good attitude are very important… but a little luck doesn’t hurt either.”

His explanation went on, “In other words your work doesn’t speak; your accomplishments in the shop go unnoticed. Because for a lot of people what they are after is trying to find a good mechanic, and when you do something for them… luck is in their favor. We’re not perfect and even the best mechanic will get stumped once in a while, and even if you make things right it’s still their perception. A perception that isn’t about you…or me…but mechanics in general. Most people think all mechanics are just wrench turners and nothing more. They don’t see the hours of education and study we put into knowing how to do this job. A lot of people feel that a guy with a few wrenches in his driveway can accomplish the same thing as the professional mechanic… and that makes that driveway guy just as much a mechanic as you and I in their eyes,” he proudly proclaimed.

As quirky as it sounded and for even quirkier reasons… it all started to make sense. I guess after all the years he had been turning wrenches he had a great deal of luck too. It was a great conversation with a retired mechanic that day, and I felt pretty lucky to have met him too.

View full article

• Like 2

• Have you checked out Joe's Latest Blog?

5 comments
      I recently spoke with a friend of mine who owns a large general repair shop in the Midwest. His father founded the business in 1975. He was telling me that although he’s busy, he’s also very frustrated. When I probed him more about his frustrations, he said that it’s hard to find qualified technicians. My friend employs four technicians and is looking to hire two more. I then asked him, “How long does a technician last working for you.” He looked puzzled and replied, “I never really thought about that, but I can tell that except for one tech, most technicians don’t last working for me longer than a few years.”
      Judging from personal experience as a shop owner and from what I know about the auto repair industry, I can tell you that other than a few exceptions, the turnover rate for technicians in our industry is too high. This makes me think, do we have a technician shortage or a retention problem? Have we done the best we can over the decades to provide great pay plans, benefits packages, great work environments, and the right culture to ensure that the techs we have stay with us?
      Finding and hiring qualified automotive technicians is not a new phenomenon. This problem has been around for as long as I can remember. While we do need to attract people to our industry and provide the necessary training and mentorship, we also need to focus on retention. Having a revolving door and needing to hire techs every few years or so costs your company money. Big money! And that revolving door may be a sign of an even bigger issue: poor leadership, and poor employee management skills.
      Here’s one more thing to consider, for the most part, technicians don’t leave one job to start a new career, they leave one shop as a technician to become a technician at another shop. The reasons why they leave can be debated, but there is one fact that we cannot deny, people don’t quit the company they work for, they usually leave because of the boss or manager they work for.
      Put yourselves in the shoes of your employees. Do you have a workplace that communicates, “We appreciate you and want you to stay!”
  • Similar Topics

• By Changing The Industry
      Enhancing Shop Operations with John Heller of PartsTech
    • By Changing The Industry
      The Basics of Owning An Auto Repair Shop - Part 5
    • By carmcapriotto
      The Weekly Blitz is brought to you by our friends over at Shop Marketing Pros. If you want to take your shop to the next level, you need great marketing. Shop Marketing Pros does top-tier marketing for top-tier shops.
      Click here to learn more about Top Tier Marketing by Shop Marketing Pros and schedule a demo:https://shopmarketingpros.com/chris/
      Check out their podcast here: https://autorepairmarketing.captivate.fm/
      If you would like to join their private Facebook group go here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/autorepairmarketingmastermind
      In this episode, Chris Cotton from Auto Fix Auto Shop Coaching explores the issue of transition leaks in auto repair shops. He explains how frequent task-switching hampers productivity and energy levels for shop owners, service advisors, and technicians. Chris advocates for batch processing to consolidate similar tasks, thereby reducing transition leaks and increasing efficiency. He advises reorganizing work schedules to minimize cognitive load and suggests that while flexibility is necessary, intentional planning can greatly enhance productivity. The episode wraps up with Chris encouraging listeners to embrace growth and efficiency, thanking the sponsor, and promoting a positive work ethic.

Transition Leaks (00:00:06) Explanation of the concept and its impact on auto repair shop owners, service advisors, and technicians.

Impact on Efficiency (00:02:27) Discussion on how transition leaks lead to lost efficiency and diminished capacity for delivering high-quality service.

Batch Processing Strategy (00:04:48) Explanation of the batch processing strategy to combat transition leaks and improve productivity.

Applying the Concept (00:07:03) Guidance on analyzing and reorganizing schedules to minimize transition leaks and increase efficiency.

Embracing Change (00:09:11) Encouragement to prioritize efficiency and quality by embracing a new way of organizing work schedules.

Connect with Chris:

[email protected]
      Phone: 940.400.1008
      www.autoshopcoaching.com
      Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/
      AutoFixAutoShopCoachingYoutube: https://bit.ly/3ClX0ae

#autofixautoshopcoaching #autofixbeautofixing #autoshopprofits #autoshopprofit #autoshopprofitsfirst #autoshopleadership #autoshopmanagement #autorepairshopcoaching #autorepairshopconsulting #autorepairshoptraining #autorepairshop #autorepair #serviceadvisor #serviceadvisorefficiency #autorepairshopmarketing #theweeklyblitz #autofix #shopmarketingpros
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By carmcapriotto
      Matt Fanslow explores the analogy between running a repair shop and the world of dating. He shares insights on first impressions, trust-building, and the value of substance over style in both customer relationships and shop management. Matt emphasizes the need for repair shops to maintain high standards of service and to view customer feedback as opportunities for growth.
      Show Notes
      Dating in Modern Times (00:01:15) Comparison of modern dating to historical dating and personal experiences with initial interactions. Physical Attractiveness and Shop Appearance (00:02:25) Reflections on interactions with physically attractive individuals, similar to the importance of a shop's appearance. Importance of Customer Reviews (00:04:54) Discussion on the significance of customer reviews, the impact of negative reviews, and the importance of backing up a shop's exterior with quality service. NAPA Auto Tech Training Sponsorship (00:11:34) Information about NAPA Auto Tech Training and its benefits for technicians and shop profitability. Constant Improvement in Customer and Employee Interactions (00:13:42) Emphasis on the importance of constant improvement in customer interactions and the parallels with employee relationships. Long-Term Relationships and Continued Accreditation (00:17:06) Discussion on the importance of continued accreditation and constant improvement to maintain long-term relationships with customers and employees. Shop Relationship Parallels (00:18:13) Drawing parallels between shop hiring and dating, emphasizing the importance of attracting and maintaining long-term relationships with employees. Attracting Talent (00:19:16) Encouraging self-reflection on what attracts and separates a shop from competitors, and the importance of perpetuating long-term relationships with employees. Promoting Training (00:20:20) Advocating for the importance of training.  
      Thanks to our Partner, NAPA Autotech napaautotech.com

Email Matt: [email protected]
      Diagnosing the Aftermarket A - Z YouTube Channel HERE
      Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com/

• By carmcapriotto
      The Weekly Blitz is brought to you by our friends over at Shop Marketing Pros. If you want to take your shop to the next level, you need great marketing. Shop Marketing Pros does top-tier marketing for top-tier shops.
      Click here to learn more about Top Tier Marketing by Shop Marketing Pros and schedule a demo:https://shopmarketingpros.com/chris/
      Check out their podcast here: https://autorepairmarketing.captivate.fm/
      If you would like to join their private Facebook group go here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/autorepairmarketingmastermind
      In this episode, Coach Chris Cotton from Auto Fix Auto Shop Coaching addresses auto repair business owners, focusing on revitalizing February's sluggish pace. He emphasizes the power of a goal-oriented mindset, offering actionable advice on setting objectives and adopting proactive strategies. Cotton's insights aim to help listeners transform typically slow periods into opportunities for profit and success, underscoring the significance of attitude and planning in business.

The importance of mindset (00:00:04) Discussion on the significance of a goal-driven mindset to turn February around for auto repair business owners.

Challenging the negative mindset (00:02:23) Encouraging shop owners to shift from a negative mindset about February and its impact on business performance.

Analyzing February sales data (00:04:30) Reviewing sales data from February and questioning the mindset of shop owners who did not experience significant growth.

Preparing for slow periods (00:08:05) Emphasizing the importance of long-term planning and preparation for slow months, such as February, to achieve success.

Overcoming negative mindset trap (00:09:07) Discussing the negative mindset trap and how it affects the performance and attitude of the team.

Adopting a positive mindset (00:10:16) Exploring the power of a positive mindset and proactive approach to transform slow periods into successful and profitable times.

Setting ambitious goals (00:11:11) Encouraging shop owners to set ambitious but achievable goals and involve the team in brainstorming strategies to attract more business.

Reinforcing the impact of mindset and goals (00:13:20) Highlighting the impact of mindset and goal setting on team performance and attitude, and its role in breaking the cycle of slow periods.

Driving the shop to new heights (00:15:34) Empowering shop owners to use their mindset and leadership to transform challenges into opportunities and drive their shop to new heights.

Coach Chris Cotton', '00:02:23', "I heard it like, 'Oh woe is me, February sucks, January sucks, it's always going to suck and there's nothing we can do about it.'" 'Coach Chris Cotton', '00:03:24', "If you tell all the employees, 'Hey, this is going to be the best month ever,' and you put your efforts towards that, then guess what? It will be the best month ever." 'Coach Chris Cotton', '00:09:07', "What would $25,000 have done for your shop? What would $50,000 have done for your shop in January, February, March moving forward?"

Connect with Chris:

[email protected]
      Phone: 940.400.1008
      www.autoshopcoaching.com
      Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/
      AutoFixAutoShopCoachingYoutube: https://bit.ly/3ClX0ae

#autofixautoshopcoaching #autofixbeautofixing #autoshopprofits #autoshopprofit #autoshopprofitsfirst #autoshopleadership #autoshopmanagement #autorepairshopcoaching #autorepairshopconsulting #autorepairshoptraining #autorepairshop #autorepair #serviceadvisor #serviceadvisorefficiency #autorepairshopmarketing #theweeklyblitz #autofix #shopmarketingpros #autofixautoshopcoachingbook

• Our Sponsors