AutoShopOwner Articles

This forum is reserved for article discussions. Comments posted on article pages will also be added as posts to article threads here, and visa versa.

392 topics in this forum

• 2 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 4 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 1 reply
    • 0 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 1 reply
    • 3 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 10 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 14 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 8 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 7 replies
    • 10 replies
  • Latest Posts

• I havent posted here in awhile figured id might get some insight. I am 27 years old, Been in business for 4 years. Over the last year i just feel like ive run out of gas. I am getting depressed, Not interested in working on cars or the business. Its taken a toll on it. Very close tk losing it, I do not want that. Any ideas on what to do?   Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk    
    • I need to find some employees fast and I am having no luck, anyone willing to help me write an advertisement or help me with postings, over the phone or through e-mail, please let me know. Just found this, not feeling good about this. https://www.indeed.com/forum/job/automotive-technician/can-t-do-it-anymore/t459836
    • I would double check that. I believe that the confusion is it used to be true that you couldn't charge more for credit card use, so giving a discount for cash would seem to do exactly that. But at that time it was how it was presented. If your "stated" price was a cash discount price and you charged more for credit cards, that indeed was illegal. But if your stated price was for any type payment you could indeed discount it for cash. However, the laws have pretty much changed  so that you can now have a stated price and charge more for credit card use so that is a mute point. I don't believe cash discounts are illegal anywhere. And if they were, how could they prove what the discount is for?  
    • In many states, for me Illinois, this is illegal. You can not give a discount for cash instead of credit.
    • If we identify the problem before the repairs we let the customer know there will be additional labor if we run into this issue, if we don't have any problems we don't bill for it. We also call and get additional labor time if it happens during the repair and additional time is needed. I would rather be over prepared than under bill.
    • We sell the parts and cost. Trusted technicians can use the shop after hours when clocked out as well.
    • Thoughts? Smart Tips on Employee Discounts
    • I'm in Prince Edward Island, so we have it even worse than you.  Not only do we have road salt in the winter months, we are surrounded by salt water!  We add time for these things regularly, depending on the car.  If it's especially rusty looking my techs will usually give the SA a heads up that there may be extra time involved, and this is relayed to the client.  They have gotten pretty good at spotting something and letting us know that it may cause some extra time the vehicle.  That said, the rust doesn't often slow my guys down much, aside from wheel alignments.  One trick we use for those tight spots such as your fan shroud.....keep a few various sizes of tin laying around the shop to use as a heat shield between the part you are heating and the part you do not want to burn/melt.  Works great.  Also, Wurth makes a spray gel designed to protect things from welding sparks, that can be sprayed on plastic or other pieces that helps them withstand heat better.  I can send you a picture of the product tomorrow from the shop if you like.   Jeff