Quantcast

Get rid of the bad apple and improve morale

I am a firm believer that the head of any organization is responsible for the culture of the company. And that culture will determine the morale of the organization. It’s no different for shop owners. If we walk around miserable, the whole shop will be miserable. If we convey an attitude of enthusiasm and maintain a positive attitude, morale improves and production goes up. Yes, that responsibility starts at the top.

I am also a firm believer that employing the wrong person can undo any good the boss or manager does and can kill morale. It’s that old saying, “one bad apple can spoil the whole bunch.” You know the type; we’ve all had them at our shops. The employee that’s always in a bad mood, who complains about each and every job you give them, never wants to help his fellow employees, talks about everyone behind their back and thinks that boss does everything all wrong and that if he were in charge, things would run much better.

Sound familiar? You have one those? Do yourself a favor, get rid of him or her. I recently had to make that choice, and I am kicking myself for not doing it sooner.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Joe Marconi
      Shop production is a hot topic these days.  High production results in higher sales and profits.  But there seems to be so many obstacles to overcome to achieve high production levels.  
      I was discussing production with a few shop owners, and one shop owner mentioned that he recently hired a shop foreman; an “A” tech in his early 50’s.  The foreman uses his knowledge and skills to organize the work flow.  For younger techs, it’s even more important that they know how to work and keep productive.
      What are your thoughts?   Does anyone else have a foreman or similar position?  And how does this role affect production?

• By Stevens Automotive Service
      How many of you have a four bay shop ?
      If you do how many techs do you have ?
      What is your average sales weekly , monthly ?
      What do you spend in advertising ?
      What was your sales in 2017 ?
      I am using this shop as a guide for those who would like to follow and see real time progress.
      For those interested just answer the questions so you and I can see what your strong points and if and where you may have areas for improvement.   
      After looking and reading some posts Here are some quick answers to some of them.
      Charging for Diagnostic time... Absolutely and is easy done. 
      Fleet Customers.. Absolutely if you have the man power and shop to handle them. Be careful , you can loose them if your not equipped to support the amount of work. Do your homework.
      Damage and misfortune to a customers vehicle while in your care... If it's your fault just fix it. If not assess and address it quickly, the sooner the better. 
      Know your Business not just part of it... Know it inside and out. Knowing your fixed cost is a must. 
      Spend Wisely ..It takes money to make money keep it balanced , don't invest without returns.
      Advertise Wisely....Quick example : If you are around a large place of business where people work , Hospital, Shopping Mall, Manufacturing Plant Etc there are just a few suggestions of gaining customers for next to nothing cost, to attain those customers. A promotion on a business size card and NO, you don't have to discount a thing. 
      Dealing with employees ..On cell phones , drugs etc whatever you don't address you condone!  
      Hope this helps  Need help with anything, I am a phone call or email away !
      Dan Stevens 
      Stevens Automotive Services  

If you have ever thought about shop management and training for your business now is the time. Make 2018 profitable and with a lot less stress. 
      For ASO members that are serious about business and becoming the shop of choice in your area then lets get started.
      Business coaching and training for your auto repair business. Real world one on one training for your business as all shops are different with different needs and markets. 
      Cost is 100.00 a week for a 1 year program for serious owners only that want to build a business. 
      Contact me for details and make 2018 all it can be. 
      Email [email protected]
      Website http://stevensauto.shop/
      I hope that everyone is having a good 2017 and as we all know time goes very quickly!
      The new year is fast approaching and changes are coming this year in many ways to the business.
      I have talked to many of you and I just want to say there are some great people on this site. 
      For those of you who are running your business to its full potential keep it up , build towards that retirement, spend time with family ENJOY !  
      If you need help it is only a PM, email, text or a phone call away so you can do the same. 
      Keep building your business in the up coming year, think outside the box. 
      1) Manage what you have. Make sure your getting all you can get out of what you have.
      2) Be a smart business owner look at overhead, parts cost, etc and streamline it.
      3) Relieve that unwanted stress. Been there done that its no fun but it can be drastically reduced. 
      What was your best business move in 2017 where you seen a upward move in profit?