Quantcast

Joe Marconi

Unsettling Repairpal Consumer Survey

A new survey conducted by Harris Interactive on behalf of RepairPal reveals some startling facts about how consumers view the auto repair industry. The survey was held March 5-7, 2013, among 2,128 U.S. adults ages 18 and older. The survey included consumers who owned and leased their cars.

A lot of the results are a little unsettling. As far as I can tell, no distinction was made between independent shops from new car dealers or national accounts. Regardless, I recommend reading and would welcome comments from everyone. Here are a few results; below is a link for the full survey.

• 66% who have taken a car they own/lease for repair think they have been ripped off by an auto repair shop.
  • 38% of consumers who own or lease a car worry that they cannot trust the mechanic
  • The number one thing those who own/lease a car want when choosing a repair shop is fair prices (82% of consumers said this was an important consideration)
  • One third (33%) of those who own/lease a car say they do not trust online reviews of repair shops and only 16 percent use them.
  • 48 percent of women who own/lease a car said, “being taken advantage of” makes them anxious
  • 38 percent of me who own/lease a car admit to feeling anxious about “being taken advantage of”

To view the entire results of the survey go to the link below:

http://repairpal.com/consumer-survey-march-2013