Quantcast

Unilube

Estimates

Hello! I would like some other auto repair shop owners opinion regarding how to make estimates for services & repairs. We have in the past itemized our estimates for customers (how much the part is and how much the labor is). But we have soon noticed that once the customer sees the price of the part, they get frustrated. For example, front brake pads parts: $79.99, Labor : $85. They claim "I can get the same part from an auto parts store for $30 bucks." What are you thoughts and how do you handle the estimate making process? An opinions for customers who tend to negotiate with prices?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• By Tess
      I am wondering if anyone has any tips for organizing estimates. We use Alldata Manage and I know how to do the estimates in there, but there are many times a day that people call for a quick estimate for something and it doesn't seem worth the time to enter all their info into the system and do an official estimate in the program. But I still like to keep the estimates for a while in case they call back a couple of weeks later and want the work done.

Right now I have a folder with handwritten estimates in it, but going through it is a pain. I am thinking I might get a binder and put the estimates in the binder in some type of order. Not sure if it would be better to organize by name so if they tell me their name I can easily find the estimate - or by date of estimate so its easier to go through it every once in a while to clear out old ones that are taking up space.

Thoughts or suggestions?
    • By 5 Star Auto Spa
      I've noticed that whenever I price out shock/strut replacement estimates based on our parts pricing matrix and labor guide (All Data), we always seem to be on the "high" side compared to our competitors in our area (Pepboys, Merchants, Midas, etc.). Are shock/strut jobs considered a commodity item and priced at a reduced rate like batteries, or brakes?
    • By CAautogroup
      Hello all,

As a full service automotive repair shop, we constantly get calls for estimates/quotes. Some of which right when the price is said, we just get an "okay, bye." or "wow".

We are thinking of telling customers when they call and ask for estimates to refer to our website, fill our a brief form, and we will send the estimate or call them back. What are your thoughts and opinions?

Hopefully, if a customer is willing to take the time to do so, they are a customer we would actually want for our business.

Please let me know if you would happen to agree, or if you have an alternative way to handle this situation of price shoppers taking too much of our techs/workers time.

Thanks.
    • By CAautogroup
      I'd like other shops opinion on how they handle pricing. Do you guys display your most common prices in the waiting room? We currently make estimates valid for 30 days, what are your thoughts? Do you give a discount if a customer sets up an appointment that way you know you have a job for the days work?

Thanks
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors