Quantcast

Start LLC for $0 at IncFile

Congratulations to ASO member Scott “Gonzo” Weaver

Congratulations to ASO member Scott “Gonzo” Weaver

Scott “Gonzo” Weaver, a regular contributing member of AutoShopOwner.com has joined the Babcox team as a regular columnist, starting February 2011. His articles will be featured in Brake & Front End, Import Car and Underhood Service.

I can attest to not only Gonzo’s technical expertise but his unique writing style that I am sure will make him a success. Gonzo is a repair shop owner just like the rest of us and his articles bring to life many issues we encounter each and every day. Gonzo is also the author of the book, “Hey Look! I Found the Loose Nut”. It’s a hilarious, real-life look at the world of automotive; everyone should pick up a copy.

As a cofounder of ASO, I want to personally wish you the best of luck and please, please, continue to be as active as usual on AutoShopowner.com

Joe Marconi

Thanx guys, appreciate it very very much. I've been a story teller all my life and greatest thing for me is now the ability to share those stories with everyone. My wife says I have the gift of gab and should be on radio. LOL, it should be the curse of the mouth, because I can get into as much trouble since I can't keep it shut... LOL

Thanks again, and you can count on more stories from old Gonzo. If ya think about it, I write at least 52 stories a year... one a week, plus tech articles, product reviews, book signings, etc.. etc... Oh, and run my repair shop... busy busy busy

Gotta get back to work. Thanks again Gonzo

It's easy... around midnight I plug myself into a wall socket and recharge... ha ha ha. Just kidding, I make the time, I'm not one to sit around. My drive back and forth to work is my thinking time for my next article. I plan 3 nights a week to work on stories - 1 night is family ONLY night (thursdays) Saturday morning I listen in on a radio show out of DC, (I'm on once in a while) and post my story for the week. Saturday is also the day to work around the house and Sunday is my golf day, while Sunday evening I do another radio program (2 hours long) and I finish the night doing my Coast to Coast live Car Chat on my website.

Somewhere in there is a couple of cold beers and big cigar... LOL

I'll slow down one of these days... My wife says that some days I get going so fast that if I would stop suddenly, I would run smack-dab into my own shadow. LOL

It's fun, the money part isn't the greatest. (yet) But, I'm enjoying this a whole lot more than running a crew at the repair shop. My shop is still there, still busy and slow like it has been for years, although, scaled down from years past... which gives me the time to work on all of my other interests.

As far as the fishing, that's easy... it's right out my front door on my pond. Come on down to Oklahoma and see how this old country boy gets it all done sometime. Don't worry I'll slow down for ya. FYI I'm a 7 handicap golfer too. LOL

If there ever was a weekend tournament for ASO members, I'll bet you would be crying and begging for me to be on your team... LOL

One of these days we'll have to have a ASO convention somewhere... and if so... Golf has to be included.

What ya say Joe, how about it... Let's do it!!!

Ain't gonna play golf with you. You are too good for me.

If there ever was a weekend tournament for ASO members, I'll bet you would be crying and begging for me to be on your team... LOL

One of these days we'll have to have a ASO convention somewhere... and if so... Golf has to be included.

What ya say Joe, how about it... Let's do it!!!

I am the worlds worst golfer, trust me....just google "worlds worst golfer" and my name will come up.

But, it does sound like fun!

We can have a special prize/trophy for the "worst shot, worst golfer,etc..." Sounds like you've got spot picked out on the mantel for the trophy Joe... LOL

Seriously, though, the idea of a Independent Shop Convention ain't a bad idea. We should think about it for real...

I am the worlds worst golfer, trust me....just google "worlds worst golfer" and my name will come up.

But, it does sound like fun!

I'm starting to like this golf tournament idea more and more. LOL

Joe, I bet I could compete with you for the worlds worst golfer. :) Love to "play" really suck at it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Topics

• By carmcapriotto
      We are at the 2022 Napa Expo with reigning two-time world champion Ron Capps, who has just recently started his own Motorsports company. Find out what it’s like being both the driver and team owner. Listen to Ron explain the initial rush when his race car goes from 0-100mph in 7/10 of a second. He says It’s all about his team and the processes and procedures.
      Established in 2021, Ron Capps Motorsports is a single-car NHRA Funny Car team owned and operated by reigning and two-time world champion Ron Capps. Headquartered in Brownsburg, Ind., the team will make its on-track debut in 2022 and will compete on the 22-race NHRA Camping World Drag Racing Series circuit thanks to the support of NAPA AUTO PARTS. Capps, who serves as both the owner and driver of his namesake operation, is the second-winningest Funny Car pilot in NHRA history, with 67 wins in the category and 68 overall (1 Top Fuel). The 2022 NHRA season marks Capps’ 28th year competing in the sport’s professional ranks.
      Category: NHRA Funny Car Sponsor/car: NAPA AUTO PARTS Crew chief: Dean ‘Guido’ Antonelli, John Medlen Career best points finish: 1st (2016, 2021) Career event titles: 68 (Funny Car: 67; Top Fuel: 1) Career final rounds: 131 (Funny Car: 129; Top Fuel: 2) Career No. 1 qualifying positions: 29 Career best elapsed time: 3.837 secs, (Reading, 2019) Career best speed: 339.28 mph (Reading, 2019)
      On the Internet: twitter.com/RonCapps28, facebook.com/RonCappsFC, Instagram.com/RonCapps28, NAPAonline.com, NHRA
      Key Talking Points
      What people forget- NAPA isn’t a chain or a franchise; it is owned by people in your neighborhood. His dad was a dealer technician- he was his dad's mechanical assistant  Told team owner last September he wasn’t coming back- Announced the launch of his own team, Ron Capps Motorsports, in December 2021. The team, with Capps serving as owner-driver, made its NHRA debut in 2022 2022 marks Capps’ 28th season competing professionally in the NHRA (first event: Phoenix, 1995) One of 17 drivers in NHRA history to have claimed a win in both the Top Fuel and Funny Car categories “I was in my mom’s belly at my first race,” he says, adding his mom, Betty, met his dad, John, at a drag race. “I’ll never forget when I was at the Denver airport going up an escalator, and a woman at least 80 was coming down,” he recalls. “As she came closer, she started singing the ‘NAPA Know How’ song and was shaking her head as we do in the commercials “You can’t win the Kentucky Derby on a mule.” Intrigued by hearing the stories of NAPA Auto Care people and fans while attending events and networking  Hired his world championship team to join him- the manager is critical and the trust to let the team members do what they need to do with processes and procedures. There is a team goal to be successful.  Advice for son- get a basic business degree Behind the scenes before a race- sponsor event (like indoor go carting, top golf, dinners etc) 8 crew members take apart an engine and put it back together in 33 minutes. 11,000 horsepower 300 mph+ in a quarter mile 0 to 100mph in 7/10 of a second in 60 ft His wife is involved in the business- invoices, insurance, etc “Crash course to be an owner…but you can do it.”  
      Connect with the Podcast:
      Aftermarket Radio Network

Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partner:
      Learn more about NAPA AutoCare and the benefits of being part of the NAPA family by visiting www.NAPAAutoCare.com

Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By carmcapriotto
      Guest host and shop tour with Shawn Gilfillan, Automotive Magic, Kenvil, NJ. Shawn and his team were stuck at the Kansas City airport after Vision 2022, but that didn't stop them. They worked remotely while using the communication training they received over the weekend.

Key Talking Points
      Flight from Vision got canceled- his team worked remotely Monday with the 3 employees that opened the shop Growing your staff- brought 8 members of staff to Vision 2022, had training, bought new tools, stayed together in the same house, connected as a team Plan ahead for training budgets 6,000 square feet, 7 lifts, 5 techs Opened second location as a “quick lube”- breaks, suspensions, alignments, tires, oil, quick in and out jobs RR 421 Mike Michalowicz: Inside his book 'Profit First'  

Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partner:
      Dorman gives people greater freedom to fix vehicles by constantly developing new repair solutions that put owners and technicians first. Take the Dorman Virtual Tour at www.DormanProducts.com/Tour

• By carmcapriotto
      I asked Travis Troy, point-blank, what did it cost him to take his entire team to Vision this year. I talked to so many shop owners at Vision KC 2022 that closed their shops to take their entire team for some of the best training and networking both Technician, Service and Management. I stopped counting at 30 the number of shop owners who closed their shops there had to be 100 or more based on my simple survey results. Some strategies were to uplift and cross training their people into leadership roles by selecting that type of training. Travis and his partner Josh know they’ll get a huge return on their training investment. The message: get out of your comfort zone.
      Travis Troy, Honest Wrenches, Akeny and Des Moines, IA. Listen to Travis' other episodes HERE
      Key Talking Points
      30 years old, opened in 2011 with a partner,  2 locations Under 2 hours, over 150 registration 1st morning  “Little Engine that Could” power, will, and passion working in 2 car garage to the opening 1st location with 1 lift with no service advisor (used a Bluetooth headset and notepad in shirt). The second location is 13 miles away as a lease, previously evicted shop- 8 bay shop that was left a mess. Took 3 months to clean out and update. Took time to build but kept patience.  Capacity to want to grow and be better than the previous day- you’ll always face challenges, start every day fresh Met partner Josh in automotive electrical class in college- started working together on weekends repairing cars, the city shut them down. Travis worked 18 hour days for 6 years straight. Introduced to Vision by Tim Davidson- Tim came to shop with BG sales rep. Has been to Vision every year since.  Closes shop to come to Vision- don’t look at it from a money aspect, you can’t afford not to come. Shop owners come back to shop invigorated and refreshed, but what about your team? It’s time to have the whole shop on board and set up for the rest of the year. Average $20,000 investment to bring the whole team of 14 total including Travis and Josh.  Holding everyone accountable as 2-way street Breaking and rebuilding process constantly- continue to grow, never be afraid to try Advice- stay humble, tomorrow isn't guaranteed, stay humble, have defined roles, never compare yourself to others because you’ll never be equal. Get involved in an association AND coaching company. Succession plan preparation. Started business not just for them (Travis and Josh) but for their families and their client’s families  Tale of Two Cities- located on the property of 2 cities, google sets their address depending on where the customer is located. They are able to capitalize on 2 cities at once.  

Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partners:

Set your sights on Las Vegas in 2022. Mark your calendar now … November 1-3, 2022, AAPEX - Now more than ever.

More Time. More Profit. Transform your shop at getshopware.com/carm

• By carmcapriotto
      Where did you learn about finances? Did you learn it from your parents? Finances are one of the most important elements in our lives, yet most of us never really understand it or discuss it with our spouses or employees. Listen to 3 shop owners that make finances a part of the conversation in their business and for their people.

Frank Scandura, Frank's European, Las Vegas, NV. Frank’s previous episodes HERE. John Gustafson, Gustafson Brothers, Huntington Beach, CA. John’s previous episodes HERE Russell Crosby, Russ’s Wrench Auto Repair, Clinton, NJ. Russ’s previous episodes HERE
      Key Talking Points
      Finances aren’t taught when growing up from parents or school Most don’t have income problems, it’s a spending problem What are your payments? Freedom and being in charge when you’re debt-free and sitting on cash Credit scores will go down as you have cards paid off and stop using as much- Buyers remorse and financial stress with a spouse People are twice as likely to get divorced with 10k in debt and zero dollars in savings We need to teach our team that we can't outrun debt with higher salaries. Finances aren't a 1 conversation session Little debt leads to a lot of debt Never intermingle personal and business funds together For those of us who have financial planners, invite them to host a lunch and learn about the positive impacts of investing. Host a book club and read books about finances and investing. John offers business math and personal math courses and Dave Ramsey course Second round they are welcome to bring their spouse or partner. They are not required to bring exact numbers but should know what they own and what they owe. They should know what they take home from all sources and what their housing, food, credit card payments etc are. They do a net worth calculation, an income, and an expense list to determine cash flow (either positive or negative) then fund reserve and investments. They recommend a 6-month reserve for critical expenses and an investment piggy bank.  Investing is in round 3 when they have money to invest.  
      Connect with the show:

Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partners:
      More Time. More Profit. Shop-Ware Shop Management getshopware.com

See how Broadly can help YOU grow your auto shop. getbroadly.com/chat

• Advertise your services or products to passers-by attracting them towards your business
    • By ASOG Podcast
      Did The Shop Owner Scam His Employee Out of Pay?

• Our Sponsors