Quantcast

Are Insurance Company Practices Causing "Creative" Estimate Writing?

I don't think the service side sees as much control the insurance companys do to the body shop side. Owning my own shop and then running them for various dealers it was a constant battle with them as to who actually was running the shop. Them saying this is what your hourly rate is, and us saying no, this is the rate we work with. Always a fight. Then they come through and have surveys to all the shops in a given area to get the average labor rates and then they say well, your not conforming to the rates others charge. or forcing the car owner to only go to one shop that is the 'Prefered" shop they work with. Wanting to supply the parts to the shop as to cut out our profit, or demanding LKQ parts, or off shore parts when the shop never used those, only correct factory parts. Sometimes making the customer feel like we the shop was trying to rip them or someone off. By not doing the insurance companies requests. All we wanted was the proper repairs to the damage and get paid a fair rate. Like I said, always a battle. I'm sure now, all these years later, it has to be worst.

• Like 1