Quantcast

Grammarly Writing Support

The #1 Writing Tool

Grammarly Writing Support

How Do You KEEP Your Employees?

This topic has been discussed before, but I think it's more relative today than ever. 

Smart auto shop owners understand they need to constantly recruit, but what about keeping the employees we have now? 

Let's revisit this topic and discuss your retention strategies and other comments on keeping your valued employees. 

Top 5 Employee Retention Challenges | HR Shelf

As a New BannerBuzz.com Customer You Get 20% Off Your First Order! Use Code: FIRSTORDER for 20% Off Custom Banners, Decals, Marketing Materials, and Any Custom Print Needs! Offer Does Not End

As a New BannerBuzz.com Customer You Get 20% Off Your First Order! Use Code: FIRSTORDER for 20% Off Custom Banners, Decals, Marketing Materials, and Any Custom Print Needs! Offer Does Not End

Years ago I learned how expensive it was to hire a new emp;oyee without any experiance in the field of our business. With the maistakes and costly errors in learning it didn't take very long to realize it was much cheaper to keep the guys I had without having a big turnover. Making them feel wanted, thanked them for their work and desire to do a good job. Then came pay, I paid the fellows I had dollars more than any of the competition paid. That ensured that my guys would not be leaving to go to the other guys and lose money. I made sure the benifits were way above the competition too. In the 10 years i owned that business, one fellow was there 3 week short of 10 years, the newest employee had 6 years seniority. the other guys fell in between 6 years and 10.  Turn over was nil and over the years I felt paying them more made me more, Not all business owners feel the same way, But I had a very comfortable living and actually enjoyed going into work with a crew that also liked being there. Worked for me.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, weighit said:

Years ago I learned how expensive it was to hire a new emp;oyee without any experiance in the field of our business. With the maistakes and costly errors in learning it didn't take very long to realize it was much cheaper to keep the guys I had without having a big turnover. Making them feel wanted, thanked them for their work and desire to do a good job. Then came pay, I paid the fellows I had dollars more than any of the competition paid. That ensured that my guys would not be leaving to go to the other guys and lose money. I made sure the benifits were way above the competition too. In the 10 years i owned that business, one fellow was there 3 week short of 10 years, the newest employee had 6 years seniority. the other guys fell in between 6 years and 10.  Turn over was nil and over the years I felt paying them more made me more, Not all business owners feel the same way, But I had a very comfortable living and actually enjoyed going into work with a crew that also liked being there. Worked for me.

Great post! The industry can learn from what you have learned!

On 7/5/2022 at 11:53 AM, xrac said:

Recently I lost a young guy that I invested a lot of extra time and money into because he and his wife had a complicated pregnancy and birth. Then surgery on the baby and then they lost her through tragic circumstances that they probably partially blamed themselves for.  Needless to say his productivity was through the toliet.  He then eventually went completely off the rail and disappeared and eventually quit.  I guess he easily cost me at least $6,000 or more with all the drama, extra things I did for them, come backs, and lost productivity. Then I had to bring someone new in and start all over.   

Wow. What a story.  There are times when people cannot overcome tragedy.  And sometimes in spite of all your honorable efforts, the only person that can help is themselves.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DUFRESNES said:

It is very expensive to lose an employee, especially a master tech.  We just hired a new person.  We have to pay top wages and top benefits to keep the best.  Weather you pay flat rate, salary or combo.  Make sure the tech knows what he will be capable of making.  He is looking out for himself and his family.  Maybe we should do a forum on benefits.

Great post! And right on point here! 

You bring up two very important points: One, how do create a workplace environment and provide benefits that help with employee retention, and two; how can we offer a pay plan and benefits package that attracts quality people?  You are right, it's not just about the employee, it's about their family too. 

I made a post in the Health Insurance and Benefits, under the Human Resources forum. 

• 1 month later...
26 minutes ago, DUFRESNES said:

I have heard of a master tech turning down a 6 dollar raise because the shop was not air conditioned.  Do you think it is coming to this?  I need a master tech.  We have 1, but we always have 2 and 1 left.  Please let me know thoughts and info.

The last two years have been emotional times for workers in general, and priorities are all over the place.  Personally, I think it is due to too many entitlements, or the perception of entitlements.  

It use to be, "Let me work hard, show my boss and/or manager what I am worth, and then we can sit and discuss my future."

Build the best pay package you can.  Include all the benefits you can offer.  Look for quality people and don't give up.

Also, consider growing your own through apprenticeships. As a business coach, I have given this advice through the years, with success. I know this may not meet your immediate needs, but it will pay off in the long term. 

Look for techs leaving dealerships too. 

Stay positive. I know it's a tough road, but mindset is everything. 

Good luck!