Quantcast

• You can post now and register later. Already registered? sign in now to post with your account.
    • ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Once you submit your question, a new topic will be created for you in our forums. Our moderators may move your topic to a more suitable forum category if one exists. Members will see your topic and be able to respond to your question.

• This will not be shown to other users.

By now, the dust is settling a bit with regard to the COVID-19 crisis, and we are well into making the adjustments needed to save our shops. There are many shops around the country that have not been affected, and there are many that have been devasted economically. Being from New York, I can tell you that the last 8 weeks have been tough. With sales down more than 50%, I had to make a lot of tough decisions. 

The good news (so far), my family and myself are all healthy, and none of my employees have contracted the dreaded coronavirus. I pray each night that it stays this way.

Now, I look beyond the virus. I need to rethink my goals, my financial expectations and feel confident in the fact that we will beat this, and believe that we will be better and stronger when this is all over.

I know many of you are seeking help from the SBA, negotiated terms with your vendors, have worked our deferments with mortgages, loans and insurance payments. And I know that many of you have made the needed adjustments to payroll and staffing.  All these things are essential, but the most important factor for you to survive and thrive will be how you handle yourself and your leadership in the coming weeks and months. 

You must believe in yourself. Trust you gut and move forward. Remain positive. Shop owners are the most resilient business owners on this planet. Don’t forget that. Move forward starting today and look beyond the virus!

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• By AutoShopOwner
      HYANNIS – Proponents of Question 1 on the November 3 ballot say that independent auto repair businesses need access to data collected by cars in order to fix vehicles, while opponents say that Question 1 could risk owner’s personal data as well as safety.
      If Question 1 is approved, cars 2022 model or newer must be equipped by manufacturers with a standardized, open access platform that would allow auto repair shops to wirelessly access mechanical data using a smartphone-based app with owner’s permission.
      Currently, telematics data generated by sensors in the cars is transmitted to servers only the automakers can access.
      Supporters of Question 1 say that the telematics data only being available to the manufacturer means car owners must take the car to its original automaker to receive service and make repairs, diminishing consumer choice in where they can take their cars.
      “If a person goes out and buys a car, they should own the data that enables that car to be fixed, and they should be able to choose where they want the car fixed. If shops like mine don’t have that information, then we can’t fix the car, which kind of forces someone to go to a place where they don’t want to go,” said Robert Wallace, President and Treasurer of Cape Tire and supporter of Question 1.
      Wallace said that the limits on customer choice on where they can receive service for their car will lead to a monopolization of the industry by car manufacturers, with a rise in prices and a drop in quality service.
      Wallace said that he and other supporters would be willing to purchase the data, similar to how the auto repair shops already purchase parts, and that they are not requesting that the data be made available for free.
      “We’re willing to pay for it, we just want the information to keep our customers rolling.”
      Conor Yunits, spokesperson for the Coalition for Safe and Secure Data which opposes Question 1, said that the issue of telematics is already covered under the right-to-repair-law that was introduced in 2013. 
      “It specifically says that any information necessary to diagnose and repair a vehicle that is provided to dealer repair shops and only available through telematics must be made available to local repair shops. This is already covered,” said Yunits.
      Yunits said that currently data is only sent to secure servers owned by manufacturers, then to repair shops or customers through secure systems developed with the automaker.
      According to Yunits, Question 1 would prevent manufacturers from being a part of the development process of security systems and apps that share the information in the future, sacrificing a layer of security for consumers.
      Yunits also said that Question 1 unnecessarily risks owners’ personal data by creating opportunities for bad actors outside as well as inside repair shops to access personal data wirelessly.
      While mechanics or others may be able to intercept and use the data for malicious purposes, Wallace said that is a risk that comes with a lot of modern technology, such as cellphones and other smart devices that collect data on their users, and that it is up to the customer to decide whether they want to take that risk.
      Yunits also said that Question 1 would also force car manufacturers to comply with an unrealistic timetable which would be impossible to do in a safe and effective manner, with new requirements that would be enforced as early as January 2021.
      Source: https://www.capecod.com/newscenter/cape-cod-auto-shops-pushing-for-question-1/
    • By Joe Marconi
      As part of our debt reduction, I revamped all of our usual marketing and advertising and put those dollars into customer service and social media. For example, we ramped up our shuttle pickup and delivery service, extended our hours of service, made sure we spend a lot of time with each customer and made sure we called as many customers as possible.  We also stepped up our meet and greet process and made sure will followed up with customer after the repair. Lastly, we increased our social media posts and increases ads and boosting. This has made a huge impact on our customer and already starting to pay dividends.
      What changes have you made to your marketing strategy since the Virus Crisis hit?
    • By Joe Marconi
      I know none of us wants to hear this, but there will be a next crisis of some sort.  I have lived through many downturns in my 40 years in business, the COVID-19 was the worst.  But, out of every crisis comes lessons to be learned. So create your Crisis Plan today. 
      Start by understanding your numbers and knowing your breakeven.  Then add to your breakeven a percentage of profit you want to earn. Equally important is creating a cash reserve in a dedicated bank account that will be used only in a severe emergency.  Set your financial goals and stick to them! 
      Often overlook is your staff. Assemble the best team around you.  This is a crucial part to ensure your future business sucess.
      Lower your debt, get your credit rating up and maintain a good standing with all vendors.  Lastly, talk to your bank about a line of credit that can remain inactive until you need to use it.
      What other key things can we all share to help us through the next crisis?  
    • By Elite Worldwide Inc.
      By Bob Cooper

Given the uncertainty many businesses around the world are currently experiencing, we must look for ways to save as much money for our shops as possible, while also making sure we are maintaining and building a more profitable business in the long haul. Here are 4 powerful tips to help you save on your shop’s expenses.

1. Review your profit and loss statement, and take a look at each and every line item. For each line item, you should ask yourself up to 3 questions: First, ask yourself if the line item is going to lead to an immediate profit. An example of this would be parts purchases or labor.  If the answer to this question is no, then ask yourself if the line item will lead to a potential profit in the near future. An example of this would be your advertising or marketing investments. If the answer to this question is no again, then ask yourself if the line item will lead to any foreseeable profit at all. Examples of these items would be insurance investments, utilities, and your water cooler payment. Once you have the answer to these questions, it will be much easier to see where you can scale back or even put certain items on hold for the time being.

2. This tip comes from Dean Kuhn, a successful transmission shop owner and one of Elite’s rockstar Business Development Coaches. He recommends taking a look at the top 2-3 most expensive items on your financial statements each month. When you look at these expenses, really dive deep into every single line item that goes along with it. This way, nothing will slip through the cracks and you can get a complete picture your business’s finances, which will help you determine areas where you can save.

3. Always remember that your vendors are your partners, and it’s important to treat them this way. I would highly recommend meeting with each of your vendors and having an honest conversation with them to make sure your partnership is as mutually beneficial as possible. During these discussions, set clear expectations for the vendor and make sure that you are meeting theirs. This will save you valuable time in the long run and will make both of your businesses more successful!

4. To save on what’s likely one of your biggest expenses, I recommend that you sit down with your landlord or mortgage owner and have a conversation with them to see what can be done to reduce this cost. You’d be surprised how often an agreement can be made to help in situations like the one we are currently facing.

Since 1990, Bob Cooper has been the president of Elite (www.EliteWorldwide.com), a company that strives to help shop owners reach their goals and live happier lives, while elevating the industry at the same time. The company offers the industry’s #1 peer group of 90 successful shop owners, training and coaching from top shop owners, service advisor training, along with online and in-class sales, marketing and shop management courses. You can contact Elite at [email protected], or by calling 800-204-3548.

View full article
    • By Joe Marconi
      Sometimes I feel like I’m alone on a deserted island. I charge for diagnostic analysis. Why? Because I know what cost is to buy the tools, equipment, information systems, training and pay a technician to professionally and accurately diagnosis a check engine light, air bag, ABS or any other complicated problem. But, I feel a lot of shops are willing to give this up in hopes to get the work. In my opinion all they are doing is digging themselves in a hole.

And, I have heard all the reasons:
      “If the customer gives me the job, I waive the analysis”.
      “I package the analysis into the repair, so the customer does not see the diag charges”
      “I will lose customers if I charge analysis”
      And the best yet: “It only took me 10 minutes to diag the O2 sensor, so I can’t charge diag labor”.

Waiving the analysis is the same as a doctor waiving the x-rays and blood tests. They don’t do it, we should not either. I will also challenge those who “package” the analysis into the repair. You mean to tell me that after taking 1 hour to find a faulty mass air sensor, you will add the 1 hour to the 5 minutes it takes to install a new mass air? Come on, we all know the truth.

And let’s address the 10 minutes it took to find the failed O2 sensor. Did it really take 10 minutes? NO, it took years of training, years of experience, the investment in the right equipment and the investment in the right information systems. Why we sometimes diminish what we are truly worth is amazing. No other profession does that.

Sorry for being so tough on this topic, but business is hard enough these days and people question everything. If shops don’t realize what they are giving up, it makes it bad for all of us.

Please tell me what you think. Agree? Disagree? Or any other thoughts....

• Similar Tagged Content

• By Joe Marconi
      A ride to the Mall with my wife today (yes, I went to the Mall, got a problem?) gave me assurance that things are really getting back to normal. The stores were full, the roads were packed and expect for the masks people are wearing, you would think it's just another ordinary summer weekend! 

• By Joe Marconi
      Whatever your normal advertising and marketing strategy is, now is the time to tone down call to action advertising and promotions and communicate your brand to your community. In times of crisis, it’s crucial that your customers and community know what you stand for and there to help if at all possible.
      Contact your customers by phone, email, text, etc.  Not to sell them anything, but to ask if they are ok. Let them know that you are thinking about them.  Connect with them emotionally, like a friend or family member would.
      For many shops across this great nation, there will be significant sales drops.  With the new financial package, there will be help on the way. Contact your accountant, payroll company, financial advisor, bank rep and find out about the help that is coming your way.
      We will get through this together.

• By Elite Worldwide Inc.
      Good morning,

With business slowing down for most, we feel that there's never been a better time for shops to take advantage of online training. We know that everyone in our great industry is in this together, and want to help shop owners in any and every way that we can, so have decided to team up with Jasper Engines & Transmissions to make our Online High Impact Customer Care Sales Course available to the industry at no charge. 

The recordings for this 4-part online sales training course are usually sold for $179, but the below link will provide you with complimentary access. You'll see that the page also provides access to an Action Plan that you can follow to help you navigate through the coronavirus pandemic.

As you take on this challenge, please don't forget that you're not alone, and that this pandemic will pass. If there's anything else that Elite may be able to do to help you, please feel free to Contact Us, or give us a call at 800-204-3548.

Click Here for complimentary access to our Online High Impact Course and COVID-19 Shop Owner Action Plan

Wishing you the best,

Your Friends at Elite
    • By Joe Marconi
      New York Governor announced yesterday that the stay-home order will remain in effect until May 15th.  With so many consumers not driving and so many businesses closed; sales will be a struggle for the next  4 weeks or more.  Many Auto Shops across the country will be in the same boat.
      Ok, that's the bad news.  The good news is that you are a shop owner, and no stranger to making tough decisions and finding solutions to the most complex problems. I know this is different, but truth is we are all learning together, and we will beat this.
      With that said, you will be called upon to remove the emotions from the situation and make the decisions that are best for your employees, family and for the business.  You will need to look at your average sales and projected near-future sales and adjust your payroll accordingly.  I hesitated for a few weeks, but then made the tough decision to cut staff to get my payroll in line with current sales. It had to be done.  
      You will also need to look at each line on your Profit/Loss statement and see where you can shave any expenses. Even a few percentage points can end up saving a lot of money at the end of the month.
      Lastly, have daily meetings and let your remaining staff know what you are doing. Let them know that the number 1 goal is the health and welfare of everyone. Number 2: Ensure the business thrives, not just survives.
      You are tough....now go make those tough decisions! 

• By CAR_AutoReports
      Hello everyone, I am suggesting we have a thread with comments that only relate to information regarding help for businesses or communities affected by recent events.

I will start the thread by listing relevant links I have at this time:
      the U.S. Treasury Department has released a draft application for the Paycheck Protection Program (the
      new forgivable loan program) created by the CARES Act. The Paycheck Protection Plan application process starts
      Friday, April 3, 2020 and those eligible and interested in applying should begin that process as soon as possible:

- For a top-line overview of the program:
      https://home.treasury.gov/system/files/136/PPP -- Overview.pdf

- If you’re a borrower, more information and links to SBA lenders http://www.sba.gov/ can be found here:
      https://home.treasury.gov/system/files/136/PPP--Fact-Sheet.pdf

- The application for borrowers can be found here:
      https://home.treasury.gov/system/files/136/Paycheck-Protection-Program-Application-3-30-2020-v3.pdf

Importantly as well, we have included links to Small Business Administration (SBA) resources that will help navigate
      the government subsidies, loans and programs available:

- The SBA’s Local Assistance Page, https://www.sba.gov/local-assistance which provides local resources and
      information on offices and other resources around the country;

- Lender-Match, https://www.sba.gov/funding-programs/loans the SBA’s tool to find local banks and lenders
      based on your needs and;

- SBA’s Coronavirus Resource Page:
      https://www.sba.gov/funding-programs/loans/coronavirus-relief-options

• AutoShopOwner Sponsors