Quantcast

Truett

UniFirst

Looking for anyone's experience with UniFirst. Have a really good quote from them but have had such bad experience with uniform company's that I am gun shy......

We have used unifirst since we opened in 2001. The only issue I've had is with the price increases. I've avoided significant increases by stating in my contract that there should be no increases during the contract term, also no automatic renewals. We use them for our pants, shorts, mop heads, and shop rags. I purchase dri fit shirts from queensboro.com and my employees are responsible for washing their own shirts.

All uniform companies are uniform companies if you know what I mean.  I have used Aarmark, Cintas, Unifirst, and have bought my own.  I am currently with Unifirst and they are ok.  Here is my advice with any uniform company.  Don't sign a five year contract.  I negotiated mine down to 2 years.  Secondly, change the contract termination notice language.  They usually have some ridiculous requirement that people forget all about.  If they protest I tell them that is the only way I will do business.  This is how I do any contracts with either uniform companies or trash haulers.  If you sign the standard contract you lose all leverage.  Currently, my trash hauler started tacking on additional charges and at first I didn't say anything because I have been with them a long time and figure that they might be due a little extra money.  However, when they got up to five add on charges and have increased the last three bills I said enough.  I called them and told them I am dropping them.  My costs will go from $140 to $90.  I was only able to do this because I had scratched out and initialed their termination notice, length of contract, and increases provisions.  

• Like 1

We have unifirst now.  We started out with 45.00 a week with 5% a year increase.  Well into our 2nd year we are 73.45.  Just ask them how they figure it.  We have many problems with their drivers.  They can't seem to keep employees.  Half the time only part of the uniforms are brought.   I don't see any difference in any  of them.  I did tell them I would not automatic renew and made them sign it. 

• Like 1

I agree with "editing" the contract. If they don't like it, tell them you will wait a week for the next uniform company to stop buy with a better quote.

We have a great Unifirst driver !!!  Tim from So Cal takes care of us.

Im with unifirst, have been for about a year, bill is still the same. Drivers do change but they have been good about seeking out where they need to drop uniforms and pick up rags etc. I cant complain. It was amazing how much cintas got there bill up to by the time we ended with them. These are on my review every 2 year list to make sure I get the best deal and can plan ahead for changes when renewals are up or seek the quotes to negotiate the new term. Sales men will give away make up charges and embroidery cost to get you to sign on. I needed new polos for the front counter personel, after alot of review I found my best option was to lease these, it costs $1.65 per week per employee for 5 polos, great material, and get replacements if they become damaged. These end up saving me about $40.00 per person over a 2 year life span with polo shirts and honestly I get a better product from the unifirst shirts than what I would want to pay up front for. 

I bought our own washer and drier, rags from Amazon and Redkap uniforms embroidered. I spent about $1500 for all of that while Cintas charged $6,000 a year for nasty rags and recycled uniforms. Auto repair isn't nearly as greasy as it used to be so think about doing it yourself. That's a new car payment every month. Our Cintas guy gets a vacation about every six weeks. When was your last one?

One of my mechanics tried having his own shop and had Unifirst.  When it didn't work out they sued him until he had to file bankruptcy. Think about that too.

I received a great price on uniforms, custom floor mats, shop rags, and a bathroom freshener that's a lifesaver! Five year term, all they would do because the 'National' pricing we get as part of a franchise group. So far so good. I grew tired of the inconsistent look of having my team do their own laundry and the costs of buying uniforms really wasn't saving me that much money or time. 

1 hour ago, Andrew Cutler said:

May be different in your area, but this was our experience with UniFirst: abysmal

We have had nothing but a good experience since we got it up and going. Had some difficulties at first, Salesman messed up and then quit and had to wait for another sales man to be hired and trained, but other than that been doing well. We have had them for about 6 months now and they have been the same price every week. Since we are a Goodyear dealer I have a great price. Only drawback was we had to sign a 5 year contract to get the Goodyear account. the only increase they can make is a 5% per year. Drivers have been great to work with but once again it has only been 6 months.

We are AAA and we are with Unifirst, a provider of AAA.  I had originally signed a 3 year lease with no auto renewal.  Then I sent them a cancel letter  within the time period.   I checked with all the other companies for the new contract.  Everyone before they came out, I informed them that no matter what, I was not signing a 2 or 3 year contract only a 1 year.  Each one came out and pitched their company and how different they were.  None of them would do that when it came down to it.  I then called Unifirst and said I wouldn't cancel if they would do a 1 year and no auto renewal.  They agreed on the price and and the increase year would be 5% at the end of 1st year if we continued.