Quantcast

Hoarders - - Sometimes the junk in the trunk spills out into the entire car

Gonzo

Hoarders

tp.gif    Watching television these days you’ll find a lot of so called reality shows 
on the air waves.  I sat thru one of these hoarding shows, and quite frankly 
I wasn’t surprised at all.  I’ve seen this same thing in cars, trucks, and vans.  
Junk, trash, and just about anything you could think of piled up inside the 
car and/or in the bed of the truck. The one thing that seems to be common 
with every one of them is the mess.  It’s not so much the piles of crap that 
they keep in their vehicles, but how they keep their stuff.  It’s always a 
disorganized mess with no rhyme or reason of organization.  

tp.gif    I can’t work like that myself. Now, I’m not all that neat with my tool box.  But it’s at least it’s an organized chaos.  Sockets and extensions of the same ratchet size in one area, cutting tools in another, screw drivers and pliers all have their own place.  I actually use several tool boxes to store my 30+ years of variety of tools.   Even with the tool boxes, I still have to have other tools that come in their own protective plastic molded boxes on shelves neatly labeled as to what is in each box, in order to retrieve them when needed.  Older, out of date tools seem to always end up in lower and lower drawers.  I can’t even tell you where my dwell meters are these days… haven’t seen them in years.  

tp.gif    Now I see the same trend in old scanners.  The pile is getting larger and larger.  I still have an old MatCo 4000E and a few other ones on one of the lower shelves.  I don’t think I’ve turned them on in years, but all the cards and cords are there.  It’s almost funny, (in a weird way) that each time you update a scanner, the new scanner generally will do all the older systems.  So instead of pulling out your old scanner I’ll reach for the new one every time.  So what happens to that old scanner? It will end up with that old dwell meter somewhere out of sight and forgotten.  

tp.gif    These days I find myself “hoarding” some of these new tools, and wait for a chance to use some of them.  Now, I’ve got a collection of so called “new” tools that I haven’t found much use for yet.  Special headlamp assembly removal tools, belt tools, shocks wrenches, front end disassembly tools, suspension tools, and so much more.  Most of which I may only see use for only once in a great while.  For example, I’ve done several of the water pumps on the “North Star” engines, and with the right tool it’s an easy job.  I wouldn’t even begin to think of doing it without it.  The tool wasn’t cheap, but I’m sure at some point in time it too will end up in the bottom of the box.  

tp.gif    I don’t think of myself as a tool hoarder, or a collector… I just want the right tool for the right job.  As a tech the expense of these tools can be costly, keeping them clean and well kept helps me maintain them for a long time.  Without the right tool, the job isn’t as easy as it could be. So anytime I can get the correct tool I will. 

Then there are those homemade tools that I have a tougher time sending to the deep dark pockets of the lower drawers.  At the time I needed that certain cut down tool or a socket I ground an edge off of… they made sense.  Looking in the drawer at some of these old handmade marvels I have to wonder… why I did do “that” to this tool? Obviously, I’ve forgotten what it was for… so it now becomes the next tool that will get “re-made” into the next handmade tool.  These tools I’ll “hoard” for a long time, just can’t part with them so easily. 

tp.gif     I’ve also seen guys who have huge boxes of tools that have every single socket and screw driver so perfectly placed in their tool boxes that they resemble museum pieces.  I’ve even seen a guy who had a huge, and I mean huge, selection of hammers… of various sizes and lengths.  All these hammers were lined up on overhead racks equally spaced apart, and put into a pattern from small to large, and by handle length.  A thing of beauty to a tool guy like myself.  Not that practical in my point of view though. I mean, really, how many hammers do ya need?  A hoarder? No not really.   I think it actually falls under the category of collector.  Collectors take pride in what they have, and are proud to display them in an orderly fashion.  

tp.gif    One thing that goes along with those hoarders’ cars and trucks is the stench…  OMG… always, always, always it smells like something died in there.  I’ll bet doctors could tell some horror stories dealing with people and their hygiene, and I’m sure I’m not the only tech who has dealt with the smelly car from hell.   Nasty, is the only way to say it… putrid, awful, and disgusting.  YUK!  

tp.gif    Well, then again, it’s work… not pleasant work, but it is work.  I think the worst one that I can remember getting into was a Chevy van with a heater core leak.  The van was stacked level with the windows front to back with the most horrendous conglomeration of junk I’ve ever had to deal with. There was only enough room for the driver and barely any room to move the gear shift lever.  Totally disgusting, and even more to the point that smell, that awful unforgettable smell!  Papers, fast food bags, clothes, shoes, and anything else you can think of.  

I always try to put things back in order that I take things out of a glove box or trunk, but, there was no way to “re-stack” everything back in on this “hoarder-mobile”… it was an intertwined hap-hazard pile of putrid junk.  All I could do was grab handfuls of this stuff and throw it on the shop floor.  In fact, I gave the lady the estimate based on book time… then I crossed out the book time, and told her that the book time doesn’t apply due to the conditions I’m working in. She still said go for it… so I did.  With an aspirator, plastic gloves and a long sleeve jacket that I planned to throw out as soon as I was done.  I “dove” right into my work on this reeking pile of refuse, and finished it as quickly as I could.  You know, I really should have done this job outside, because the stench lingered in the shop for weeks.    

tp.gif    These people have a serious mental problem, but most of them don’t see it as a problem.  I’m no doctor, so I probably shouldn’t make diagnostic claims on things I know nothing about, I’m just a mechanic. I’ll try to deal with junk and the smell, get the job done, and move on to the next one.  (Hopefully a more pleasant one).  

tp.gif    When you finish with one of these jobs, don’t forget to wipe your tools down before you neatly place them back into your tool box.  Messy tools and a messy shop aren’t very presentable, but for some customers it’s not a concern of theirs how their vehicle looks or smells, they just want the car fixed. 

Even though I’ll fix the car, the smell and the sight of these trash cans on 4 wheels sure does get to me. Yuk!   

View full article

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Similar Topics

• By carmcapriotto
      Bill Nalu is President of Interstate Auto Care in Madison Heights, Michigan and has been in business for 30 years. He collaborates with industry professionals, in building today’s “high-tech/old-fashioned” customer service system. Bill has been a big contributor to the podcast and he currently serves on several industries and educational advisory councils including AutoValue/Bumper to Bumper, Dorman Industries, and Cardone. Listen to Bill’s previous episodes HERE.
      Key Talking Points
      What are you grateful for? The world isn’t ending. Stop comparing yourself to the content coming at you.  When you make a decision to move forward, don’t turn around and second guess yourself Leadership comes through gratitude Hire compliments to yourself Suffering comes from judgment  “Air smells the best and freshest after a hard rain” Awareness- isn’t that you’re having a thought, but that you are aware you are having a thought. That is your consciousness.  Learn from other people’s second chances before you have to be the one to learn from your second chance. You must have balance.  Compassion- there’s more going on in people’s lives than you know about If you want respect, respect someone into respecting themselves Consumerism- willing to pay extra  Do you hire for work ethic attitude? Do you love what you do for a living Suffering comes from judgment- wean yourself off of the judgment that you have centered around you, judgment that comes toward you, and judgment that you place on yourself   The grass isn't always greener  Book “Who not How” LINK "Every Life Has a Story" Chick Fil A LINK  Connect with the show:
      Aftermarket Radio Network
      Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partners:

This episode is brought to you by AAPEX, the Automotive Aftermarket Products Expo. AAPEX represents the $740 billion global automotive aftermarket industry and has everything you need to stay ahead of the curve.  AAPEX 2021 is in the record books and lived up to presenting leading-technical and business management training from some of the industry’s best and brightest. Now set your sights on Las Vegas in 2022. Mark your calendar now … November 1-3, 2022, AAPEX - Now more than ever.

This episode is brought to you by Shop-Ware Shop Management. It’s time to run your business at its fullest potential with the industry’s leading technology. Shop-Ware Shop Management will increase your efficiency with lightning-fast workflows, help your staff capture more sales every day, and create very happy customers who promote your business. Shops running Shop-Ware have More Time and generate More Profit—join them! Schedule a free live demonstration and find out how 30 minutes can transform your shop at getshopware.com/carm

Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By Joe Marconi
      Let's face it, we all know you can't find techs, and it's time that we do something about it.  We all need to implement an apprentice program at our shops and hire entry level techs. And we need to start tomorrow.  
      I know many of you are saying that you don't need a tech right now. Well, trust me. You will.  And I don't want to hear you can't afford to do this either. 
      No one is going to help us, and the best techs have jobs. 
      If everyone in the industry commits to hiring an apprentice, we will solve the this shortage in a few years.
      There are many apprenticeship programs available, like the NAPA program, and more. 
      Oh....worried that you train someone and they leave. Let me ask you, How Did You Start Out? 

• By carmcapriotto
      Dave Giles has been involved with the automotive, truck and transport and collision industries for over 30 years. He currently holds a Red Seal AST certification in Canada and is also certified HRAI instructor for the delivery and certification for controlled substances in several provinces as week as several other certifications and certificates in each trade involving advance vehicle technology and systems. He is often a guest speaker at several automotive conferences that involve battery electric vehicles and advance vehicle systems such as ADAS and automatous vehicles. His passion is to continue to learn and help find solutions for exciting and sustainable transportation for the future. Dave started ALL EV Canada In 2019 with his partner Jeff Farwell. Their goal was to put affordable electric vehicles on Atlantic Canada roadways. During that time they acquired Pure EV another dealer in PEI. From there they built an incredible growing business with sales and service on electric vehicles. Just recently in July 2021, Steele Auto Group bought out ALL EV adding two more dealers to the 55 family of dealers they already own. In less than a month they have opened 3 more dealer locations for ALL EV by Steele. This was all done during the pandemic of Covid-19. Key Talking Points
      Hedgehog concept- good at one thing and excel at it.  Made the transition to only EV’s and hybrids- also sell EV’s at auction and take in EV’s on trade. 2 locations and 2 dealer lots. Inventory of over 60 EV’s and about 15 Teslas are at 1 location. 6 bays shop for all EV repairs. Customers can shop for vehicles online.  Tesla- service and repair vehicles, purchase parts (VIN number is recorded and the customer will also get a copy of the invoice that part has been purchased for the vehicle, the customer is aware the parts have a markup. Parts are made by others, the aftermarket will get smarter on bringing parts to market. Cross-referencing will slowly start to show Tesla availability), restricted on scan tools access for diagnostics. Not as difficult as people think.  EV educators, not salespeople- more education involved with EV’s with charging, range (buy as much as you can afford), how they work in winter/summer Charging- 98% EV owners have their own homes to charge. Nova Scotia power program- install charger and $250 for next two years credit on account, allows control of charge rates during the night instead of overloading the grid. Fast chargers: 350-400 chargers in NS. One Tesla supercharger with 8 stations. Level 1- outlet charger, slower charge. Level 2 charger around $1000, Level 3- DCFC (direct current fast charging, booster).   Truck towing capacity- nothing beats torc of electric motor, the truck platform for EV- bigger and stores more batteries Website: Allev.ca Thanks to Dave Giles for his contribution to the aftermarket’s premier podcast. Link to the ‘BOOKS‘ page, highlighting all books discussed in the podcast library HERE. Leaders are readers. Listen for free on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spreaker, iHeart Radio, Spotify, Podchaser, and many more. Mobile Listening APP’s HERE Find every podcast episode HERE. Every episode is segmented by Series HERE. Key Word Search HERE. Be socially involved and in touch with the show: Facebook   Twitter   Linked In   Email Join the Ecosystem – Subscribe to the INSIDER NEWSLETTER HERE. Buy me a coffee This episode is brought to you by AAPEX, the Automotive Aftermarket Products Expo. AAPEX represents the $740 billion global automotive aftermarket industry and has everything you need to stay ahead of the curve.  The Virtual AAPEX Experience 2020 is in the record books. Virtual AAPEX lived up to presenting leading-technical and business management training from some of the industry’s best and brightest. Now set your sights on the homecoming in Las Vegas in 2021. Mark your calendar now … November 2-4, 2021, AAPEX // Now more than ever. This episode is brought to you by Shop-Ware Shop Management. It’s time to run your business at its fullest potential with the industry’s leading technology. Shop-Ware Shop Management will increase your efficiency with lightning-fast workflows, help your staff capture more sales every day, and create very happy customers who promote your business. Shops running Shop-Ware have More Time and generate More Profit—join them! Schedule a free live demonstration and find out how 30 minutes can transform your shop at getshopware.com/carm
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By ASOG Podcast
      This is part two of our conversation with Sean Tipping of the Automotive Diagnostic Podcast which you can check out at HTTP://autodiagpodcast.com and former ...
    • By ASOG Podcast
      Frank Choi of DENSO shows off their revolutionary VehicleMRI which can perform up to 700 tests to determine which systems are performing properly. Then ...

• Our Sponsors