Quantcast

Joe Marconi

Repair Shop Marketing needs a Proactive Approach

Back in the 1970’s, the success of the repair shop could be traced directly to three things: General Motors, Ford and Chrysler. Those cars needed a ton of repair work and broke down all the time

I remember when a customer would come in asking for an oil change. We would almost laugh at the guy, “Park it out back, I’ll get to it later if I get the chance”, was the standard reply.

Today, it’s a different world. When Mrs. Jones asks for an oil change, I urge you to say, “YES, we can do that!” Cars today are built better, don’t require as much maintenance and oil change intervals are ever-increasing.

You need to take a proactive approach with every car in your shop. Don’t get tunnel vision and focus only on what the customer brought the car in for. Manage the vehicle’s car care needs. Explain the need for preventive maintenance, scheduled services, and other services such as wheel alignments, tire rotations, filters, etc.

And lastly, make sure you inform the customer of their next appointment and book that appointment. Ok, I know what some of you are saying, “My customers don’t know what they are doing in 4 months and that strategy does not work for me.” I hear this all the time. Well, think about this; your dentist books the next appointment, and so does the eye doctor, medical doctor, hair dressers, chimney cleaners, boiler service companies, on and on.

The bottom line is this. You can wait for the cars to come to you, and some will. Or you can take a proactive approach and increase those car counts and maximize your sales.

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Ron Ipach
      I'm going to go out here on a limb here and tell you -
      YOUR ONLINE REVIEWS ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR IN ATTRACTING MORE CAR COUNT!
      Lemme 'splain...
      First of all, the reviews given by your customers reveal the health of your business. If your customers aren't saying good things about you, that's a warning sign that you better get your act together right now and start providing a better experience for your customers.
      Also, if you only have a few handfuls out of all the hundreds or thousands of customers you've worked saying good things - that's not a healthy sign either. They may like, or even love, doing business with you, but if they aren't telling the world (aka writing an online review), their little secret is hurting your chances to attract more car count.
      You see, studies show that 92% of folks will read reviews before making a buying decision, and if you don't have a stellar reputation (4.7 or higher), they'll move on to the next shop.
      In fact, I advise that you completely stay away from any form of online advertising for new customers unless your score is at least a 4.7 out of 5.0. Why? Because your prospective new customer will easily be able to compare you with everyone else and will more than likely choose the shop with the better reputation - negating all the time, money, and effort you've put into your advertising efforts.
      Look, you can argue with me all you want, but we're talking human nature here. Most will always go with the higher recommended shop. Why not? If you don't have a great reputation score, all you're really doing is advertising for your competitors that do.
      But your score isn't the only factor being looked at. There are actually three factors that are important about your reviews.
      1. Quality (4.7 or higher overall score is needed)
      2. Quantity (These days, a minimum of 75 reviews are needed, but in highly competitive areas, 150+ is needed)
      3. Recency (You must be getting 1 or 2 new reviews every single week)
      === So you say you do a great job, your customers love you, but they just aren't writing those positive reviews that you need in order to let the rest of the world know how awesome you are, right? Here are three ways to get more reviews:
      1. Ask. (Duh!)
      2. Bribe. This has been very effective for a lot of my clients in the past, however it's also considered a no-no by the review sites and may get your account shut down if they find out.
      3. Use an automated service like Soapboxx to do it for you that will email or text your customers after their service, ask if they were happy, and then send them directly to Google, Facebook, YP, or wherever you wish so they can write a quick word about their experience.
      Soapboxx is the only automated review-boosting service created specifically for the auto repair industry and the beta-testing of the software has just been completed. (See just a few of the remarks from the users below) Go to www.Soapboxx.io for more details.
      Check out what some of the members of the new Soapboxx platform are saying...

Whatever you choose to do, ask, bribe, or automate the whole thing - put getting more 4-5 star reviews at the top of your to-do list. It's simply the best thing you can do to help attract more car count to your shop!
    • By Carl Spandau
      hello! i just opened a shop and am having a hard time gaining traction. im looking for some marketing techniques that work good for new business. i have tried social media and google add words with zero results. also are any of the social media marketing company's any good? the ones that call 20 times a day claiming to manage everything and create material for your pages. seems like the only people stopping by are the previous tenants customers and he did not have the best clientele. he marketed heavily discounted repairs, free estimates,  bring your own parts. everything i dont want. I would appreciate any tips to getting people into my shop
      my shop is a 4 bay with just me and my wife. very clean and remodeled with all the tools a shop needs except an alignment rack.
      thank you for your time!
    • By Stevens Automotive Service
      Take a look at this short video on marketing to the new generation. You may find it very interesting !
      https://www.concentrix.com/resource/video/we-are-not-all-broke/
    • By Charlie
      Is it just me? or does it seem that lately there are a lot of businesses being started that insert themselves into the flow of existing transactions only to harvest your profits and lesson the margins of those doing the work and accepting responsibility (us). I am referring to technology companies: Repair Pal, Openbay, CarFix and now Blockchain to mention a few. It is frustrating to me after having built a business (brick and mortar), purchased equipment, hired employees, provide training, accepted full responsibility and risk, supported my community only to have a startup backed by money hungry venture capitalists attempt to erode our profit margin. 
      I find the statements from co-founder Vladimir Lupenko of Blockchain in this months Ratchet & Wrench extremely arrogant: "The repair industry is huge, and people always get cheated"    "We use reputable and undisputable technical data to set the market and price rate". Vladimir goes on to say "Based on our contractual agreement , the repair shop will have to provide the service at the price we have calculated".
      As good shop owners, protective of our future, we best rally against this technology, this Wolf in sheep's clothing. My research of these companies leads me to believe that no good will come from their involvement in our businesses. We, as independent shop owners, are operating in an industry some see as ripe for consolidation and this technology is just one of the signs.
      I ask that anyone reading this post refuse to participate. The involvement of these companies is not a 'quick fix' for a shop needing car count. Their intention is to drive down your prices, recruit price shopping customers only and mine your data base for their benefit. If our industry sees their existence as a threat and together, refuse to become a member of their organization, they will disappear. Without shops to refer to they lose all value to the consumer and will not be able to return a profit to their investors.
      To read the complete article, follow this link:  https://www.ratchetandwrench.com/articles/5504-how-blockchain-technology-could-affect-your-shop
      To support this research here is a seperate article from this months Ratchet & Wrench magazine discussing how to price your services for long term health and growth: https://www.ratchetandwrench.com/articles/4841-how-to-price-to-gain-customer-loyalty?utm_medium=email&utm_source=utm_code
    • By Ron Ipach
      Hey Shop Owners,
      It’s December and that means the year is almost over. Even though we only have about four weeks left, I hope you’re well on your way to having another fantastic year.
      Now… it’s time to start thinking about how to make 2018 an EVEN BETTER year. (Heck, let’s go ahead and plan on making it your best year ever! Right?)
      I’d like to invite you to a very special LIVE webinar where I’m going to reveal to you for the very first time, my proven 4-step process that I’ve secretly been teaching to my private auto repair shop clients for the past 21 years, that’ll practically guarantee 2018 to be a blow-out success for you.
      With these four steps, you’ll be able to…
      Magnetically attract more (and even better!) customers to your shop Easily sell your services at higher prices than your competitors Increase your take-home pay by 30%, 50%, or more Find, hire, and keep that elusive tech you’ve been searching for Put the fun back into running your shop! Interested? Great.
      There is zero cost to attend this live training and you won’t even have to leave the shop. All you need to do is set aside about 45 minutes of your day to join me right here online.
      Next week, I’ll be hosting this webinar twice. Once during the day. Once in the evening. That way, you’re sure to be able to find the time to join me.

For the dates, times, and registration details, CLICK HERE.

I hope you’ll join me,
      Ron Ipach, President Of Repair Shop Coach