Quantcast

High shop morale improves productivity

Once a week, our shop owner takes one employee to lunch. It is on the schedule, and the employee picks the place. It is a great opportunity for the employee to vent and the owner to just get to know the employee.

Edited by PAPShop
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Many years ago I was hired as the service manager of a Toyota dealership that had 7 techs. I was hired to replace the last fellow that could not get the sales number up after a couple of years. Things flat lined and even with the many additional sales of vehicles, the service department was stagnent. Did not take long to figure out the problem, one tech, actually the best tech in the shop that got many of the best jobs had the worst attitude of anyone I ever met. His being grumpy caused the other fellows to always be on guard and in my opinion they all held back. I told the owner I was going to let this fellow go, he was strongly against it as this was the star producer he said. I said you could have 6 star producers as opposed to just one. After a few months one day I did it, cut that guy loose. It was like the whole shop perked up the next morning, then I started getting all kinds of thank you's from the other techs, One fellow kept the whole shop down, sales went way up, production went up, employee pay checks improved and my checks really got good. Finally a few months after the change the owner came to me and said he had no idea that the one guy caused so much problem.

• Like 1