Quantcast

Pep Boys Considers Closing 63 Stores

Joe Marconi

They really didn't give a reason for low sales. Ya think people are getting tired of going back for repairs? Could it be the cheap parts and cheap labor...then again, it could be any other reason you could think of too. How about Auto Zone...??? Profits up or down?

O'Reillys called me the other day and told me they are no longer doing PCM reflashing in their stores. They said there were too many problems with the system and the company that supported their equipment isn't going to update the equipment. So, they told me they are going to refer all their customers to my shop. Yea... I think....?!?!? Had a couple of calls already but they are expecting it to be free because they bought the computer at O'Reillys. Ah... 'fraid not.

All I can say is get used to Mr. General Public. Part stores are changing their standards and a lot of the things they used to do are going to revert back to repair shops ... again.

Check your local O'Reillys and see if the same thing is happening in your area.

• 5 months later...

I worked for pep boys for 7 years or so, my stock yo yo - d from $2 to $15 per share, up down up down some things never change. They sent me to sunroof school, that idea didn't go too well. People brought in new cars and they had me cut roofs to install $299 sunroofs, at pep boys, think about that for a minute.

• Like 1