Quantcast

Spammer Reports

Alex

As AutoShopOwner grows and proves to be a top destination for automotive shop owners and professionals, the likelihood of spammers will continue to increase. We try to keep this community clean and free from unauthorized ads and solicitations.

Anyone looking to post solicitation links should read our rules on promoting your company: http://www.autoshopowner.com/topic/6587-promoting-your-company-on-aso-please-read/

As a member of ASO, if you see a post that looks like spam, you can report it to us with the "Report" link, which is available on the bottom of each post, next to the "MultiQuote" button.

post-12-0-41140700-1384703230.jpg

You can also post a reply into this topic if you see something you are not sure about, please include a link to the page in question.

We thank you for your help keeping this community free from spammers!

Report Button.JPG

Not really a big deal, but some folks should be ready for phone calls if they put their phone number on their profile. Didn't really bother me, as most were helpful, but some might not be a fan. Actually, I'm really glad one of them contacted me, just saying...

I just removed 3 topics that intro'd shops and had links posted to their websites within the post. All 3 topics were new members with each topic being their first post, and posted in the last 12 hours. Upon further look, the IP addresses for these 3 were all the same and posted by someone in India. I have banned the IP, but looks like there is a service or someone posting from overseas to promote shop websites. :wacko: Very interesting.

I wonder if its an actual person who is posting this stuff. Why would you advertise on a forum for shop owners opposed to a forum for consumers?

I don't think its automated because upon registering we have a challenge question, captcha image, and email verification. So all 3 have to validate before you can post. I think its a US marketing service that promises to expand your website presence and search engine position by posting your links on relevent "automotive" sites in hopes of increasing your website PR or page rank. That firm then pays someone in India (because of the hourly wage) to do the posting. They only see ASO as an "automotive" site. That's my guess.

I don't think its automated because upon registering we have a challenge question, captcha image, and email verification. So all 3 have to validate before you can post. I think its a US marketing service that promises to expand your website presence and search engine position by posting your links on relevent "automotive" sites in hopes of increasing your website PR or page rank. That firm then pays someone in India (because of the hourly wage) to do the posting. They only see ASO as an "automotive" site. That's my guess.

Awesome answer! I post on some other forums and had often wondered how many folks would click the link in those random off the wall post from a 0 post member? couldn't be very effective as an actual advertisement.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by ncautoshop

• Alex unpinned this topic