Quantcast
mccannable

Equipment required for start up?

I am probably a bit different than most folks here. I am not a professional mechanic and do not intend to be. I have been planning opening my garage heavily for about a year. Few years ago went back to school to take as many business and accounting classes and have learned alot. I am currently working with some successful mentors which have been a great help but wanted to ask this community(which seems very respectable) that I have been following for some time.

What is the must have equipment for general repair shop start up? We plan on focusing on european makes because of lack of local support but I know a lot of the major (non diagnostic) equipment is universal. A list of the core required equipment that “you” see necessary would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by mccannable

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By BNC173
      I don't spend a lot of time working in the shop on a day to day basis, but do have to do some after hours services or jump in to help. The shop has a few sets of tools that have been placed around in the shop so you don't need to go looking when you need common tools. Yesterday doing a couple simple tire changes & I needed a pair of pliers they station should have 2 they had none I asked a mechanic he went across the room to go get one pair. I then use the machine to breakdown the tire & it wouldn't bust the bead, so I went to the other machine & it was the same way so I went to do it the manual way. Put it on the rim clamp of the first & it wouldn't close, so I went back to the second & I had to clean & oil so it would clamp. I head to balance & had to move tires that will be installed or had been taken off but had life left so we hung on to.  So a 30 min job took 45 min. I asked come in this morning & before I could ask or say anything I see one of the tire guys doing a car tire by hand, I asked you always do it that way & he said yes neither machine is working. I said I found that out last night & have called the repair guy but how come nobody said anything, I got the I don't know answer.  So my question is how does everyone handle the putting tools back, checking machines & notifying of needed repairs & even sweep the floor. Do you have a person with a checklist go to each station every night, sweep the floors every night. Just seems like we have everyone working right up to quitting time or after hate to push more but our running after tools stepping over tires & machines not working correctly is costing us. Just getting ideas of what has worked for others. Thanks
    • By bantar
      @CAR_AutoReports created an article about ADAS, but I can't reply there.  It was a good article.   Thank you.  Starting a new topic to discuss this in more detail since it won't let me respond there.
      I've started asking around to see if the Mobile Diagnostics guys are adding ADAS to their mobile services and so far, I've found no one, but also haven't looked very hard either.    At a minimum, we all need to be able to recognize when ADAS is impacted and know whether to proceed with a service or not, if we are unequipped to tackle the next step.
      I do have a few questions / observations / :
      With the complexity of these procedures, does anyone have a feel for how the dealers are pricing / handling ADAS reprograms?  In looking at this as a service offering, assuming one has room, I wonder about the following: What prices would the market bear for such services? You mention that you are getting paid for documentation.  Sounds like the ADAS services are time and materials charging.   Your car didn't program in the typical 45 minute drive cycle, so you are charged extra.    I think I remember reading about some complex procedures that were in the 10 hour range?   Any comment on typical job sizes?   Lastly on charging, I can see people throwing fits on such "frivolity" (anything you don't fully understand must not be important).   "If it's that much, time to get rid of the car!!!!" Looks like this could be a single specialty shop offering - B2B only. Are there generic tool kits that work with multiple car lines or is it one tool kit per line? Any idea of the types of such kits and their costs?  You mentioned $20K toolkit.   If access to OE Information is mandatory this may also impact which car lines are selected (as one may not want many subscriptions, even if temporary) Can we perform an ADAS impactful repair, but then sublet to the dealer for the ADAS reprogram (or other local shop)?  Is this a good strategy or not?  As of today, I've seen a number of cars with these systems, but have not performed any services which would impact them.

• By statrepair
      Hello all, I stumbled across this forum while doing some research on starting a shop. I had some questions to assist in guiding me in the right direction. For starts, what is the general thought on being some what specialized? I’m master certified with Kia and Hyundai as well as hybrid certified. So I was wanting to try and stay toward those three as my main focus. Or has this been proven to not be a solid business model? Also for my shop, we are going to be building it from scratch, so was curious about some input. We are wanting to start with three bays. What would be the minimum building size? We were thinking a 30x60. Which would give us an office/waiting rooms and a little storage. Or would this be to small?

On another note, if anyone on here is in the Charlotte-greensboro area that would like to grab some coffee, I would love to pick you brain for a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • By tirengolf
      I am in the process of purchasing some new equipment. One of my vendors that I have bought from for years has a Teco tire machine, has anyone had a good or bad experience with this brand ?? I have narrowed my tire balancer down to Hunter.  Any ideas out there on Teco
    • By Voltek H/EV
      Hello everyone, first post here,
      I'm in the process of opening an actual shop, i've been a mobile mechanic for 10 years. I specialize in hybrid and electric vehicles. I've been searching prices on fluid exchanger machines, lifts and other pricey equipment. I've been looking at some really cheap Chinese equipment on ebay, i'm just wondering if anyone here has successfully used any of this equipment. It's tempting but I know the old "you get what you pay for" mantra. They got lifts for $1,600 and ATF fluid exchangers for $335. Might be worth trying the fluid exchanger on some of my own vehicles for that price. I appreciate any input, thank you!
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors