Quantcast

I'd like other quick lubes opinion in regards to selling add on services with a basic oil change, since as well all know we rarely make a profit off just changing the oil and filter.

We currently are doing well with selling cabin and engine air filters simply by taking it out and showing the customer so they themselves can "make the sale" by just looking at the condition its in.

But how do you approach selling oil or chemical additives( engine stop leak, oil treatment, octane boosters)? Is it worth it to have in stock or will they just be another product collecting dust on the shelves? How would you price these items? And have you had any complaints from customers?

What other add on services do other quick lube and oil change shops have in mind?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• The $19.95 Oil Change Offer

Yesterday, went for a drive through North Jersey, was very concerned to see that independent shops are putting permanent signs with the $19.95 oil change offers, the $59 A/C recharge, and the $5 dollar flat fix. This reeks of desperation, clearly the industry is coming due for a strong correction. At my shops this month we are starting to see price resistance from the lower income segment, we are having to exert price flexibility for price discovery which we are finding to be 10% to 20% from list pricing. The mid to upper segments are still going strong.

By HarrytheCarGeek, in General Automotive Discussion

• 95 replies
    • Additional Services?

My shop is in a very rural area in South Carolina.  We are mainly a new tire dealer and we have been here for over 40 years.  We repair and replace everything from hand truck tires all the way up to large radial rear tractor tires.  We do alignments, brakes, front end suspension work, batteries, and oil changes.  We have been successful at what we do, but I see the effects of the internet and additional competition from car dealers, big box, etc. on tires and rims.   I took over from my dad about 3 years ago and I added oil changes and focused more on the alignment and front end suspension work, which has been great.  I have a great alignment and suspension guy.  My background is more finance and the business side of things as opposed to the mechanical side of things. I would like to get into doing more for our customers.  I want to get some opinions on what types of services we should offer, and how I can find a decent general maintenance tech.  I don't think that we should jump full on into engine and transmission work, but I could see doing things like master cylinders, ac work, fuel filters, general maintenance, etc.    I am going to have a pretty steep learning curve on this, so any pointers you guys could provide will be appreciated.  

By Hammer, in Auto Repair Shop Management Help? Post Here!

• 4 replies
    • Overtime without high production will hurt your shop's profit

Not every shop pays flat rat; for many reasons.  So, many techs are on hourly pay.  There is nothing wrong with hourly pay, as long as you have an incentive program in place that promotes high production levels to avoid complacency.  For hourly paid employees I strongly urge you to have a pay plan that rewards production levels on a sliding scale.   As a business coach, I have seen too many times shops with low production levels and high tech payroll due to overtime pay. Overtime pay must not be used to get the jobs done with no regard to labor production.  Limit overtime and create a strategy that increases production and rewards techs with production bonuses.  By the way, there are many ways to incentivize techs, it's not all about money.  Overtime without high levels of production will eat into profits and if not controlled, with kill your business.  If your shop is an hourly paid shop, what incentives do you have in place to maintain production levels? 

By Joe Marconi, in Accounting, Profitability, & Payroll

• 0 replies
    • Changing business name?

Hello, I am considering changing my business name as within past 6 months we have converted into mainly a truck and jeep lift kit, tire and wheel, and select auto repair and also accessories. My name currently is Defiance tie and auto. Defiance is the location. I want something more geared towards our unique specialties ( I think) so I can market this and grow.  This is simply the best profit maker and general awesome thing we love to do. Before we were working on old vehicles for pennies and now we charge premium rates for most services.  Any idea on names, experiences will be appreciated.  Website is www.defiancetire.com  and been in business 4 years 

By defiancetire, in Marketing, Advertising, & Promoting

• 3 replies
      • 2 replies
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors