Quantcast

Joe Marconi

Why Eliminate Vehicle Safety Inspections?

North Carolina is yet another state that is considering repealing their periodic vehicle safety inspection requirement, leaving only the emissions test. It baffles me how our elected officials think.

In New York we identify so many cars that are unsafe; some due to neglect, but many due to wear and tear, pothole damage and other conditions. Our good customers are thankful that we have recognized a potential safety issue that could put them, their families and others on the road at risk.

I think we need more public awareness and tell our elected officials that mandatory vehicle inspections are a good thing. When I was young it was common to give your car a quick “once-over” on a Saturday morning. Plus, with full service gas stations back then, the gas attendant would check under the hood, look at the tires, etc. Today, people get in and drive.

I don’t know how many states have an inspection program, but those that do need to get the word out that this is more than just a revenue stream, it’s a matter of public safety.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• Enhanced your vehicle multipoint inspections with Video

Has any signed up or know of this product? "Truvideo" BG has partnered with a company called Truvideo.  The process allows you to take a short video of the car and document any issues. The video is then sent to the customer, either thru a text message or email. The tech or service advisor narrates the video.  The customer can see on video things like worn brakes, worn tires, a leaking hose, etc.   I think that this has its place in the multipoint process. Below is a link for more information. Your thoughts? https://www.bgprod.com/programs/truvideo/  

By Joe Marconi, in The Customer Experience

• 7 replies
    • Recording requirements & special fees in your state. A little survey

I'm just about to settle on a software package to run my shop. I've found looking at a number of them that there are a few that don't seem to tick the basic boxes in information gathering that we as registered repair shops are required by law to do. I'm wondering if this is a New York specific issue or if this issue happens everywhere. Would you guys comment on your state requirements.  I'd like to pass some more information to the software company I'm working with in hopes that they motivate to make some improvements to satisfy these requirements. Example, in NYS we are required to capture a signature or document approval with the customer complaint to begin work on the vehicle before we touch it. We must record mileage when the vehicle enters the shop and when it is finished. We must state the warranty for each item and the terms and time limit for any guarantee on repair work. We have to collect a non taxable $2.50 waste tire management fee for every new tire sold. We have a state safety and emissions inspection that is varies in fee and is non taxable.

By Junior, in Auto Repair Shop Management Help? Post Here!

• 0 replies
    • Hi Y'all...from the Volunteer State!

Hi, I just wanted to take a moment and introduce myself.  I am Natalie Spears from Savannah, Tennessee.  My husband, Tommy, and I have a goal to open an auto body shop in the future.  We are spending a lot of time researching EVERYTHING before we take that leap.  I hope to gain a lot of additional knowledge on the business end of things by joining a few forums and getting involved.  Currently, he is working out of our home garage which is not optimal, but is certainly better than nothing.  Like many of you, he was taking things apart and putting them back together before age 10.  He is unbelievably talented and has amazing skills with anything mechanical in nature.  I, on the other hand, will handle the business end of the company.  My background and current profession is bookkeeping so we hope this combination will lead to a successful business partnership.  I look forward to learning great things on here!

By Natalie Spears, in New Member's Area

• 7 replies
    • Website Mobile Friendly Test

Google has a great tool that allows you to check the mobile "friendliness" of your website. Just enter your website url at Google dedicated page: https://search.google.com/test/mobile-friendly You should get something like: If you don't, time to look into updating your website 😁  

By Alex, in Website Tips

• 1 reply
    • Negative review while serving vehicle

Hello all, Has this ever happened to any of you? We recently went out of our way to accommodate a customers' vehicle repair request. Though the customer was argumentative about pricing, hours charged, parts used etc, they ultimately agreed to the repairs. About an hour or so later, we receive notifications of several 0 or 1 star reviews on many social websites including Yelp, Google, Yahoo, Facebook....... you name it they had an account or made a new account to put their side of the story out there.  How would you handle this? Do you feel obligated to complete the said repair?  Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions.   Nick 

By CAautogroup, in General Automotive Discussion

• 15 replies
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors