Quantcast
    • You can post now and register later. Already registered? sign in now to post with your account.
    • ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Once you submit your question, a new topic will be created for you in our forums. Our moderators may move your topic to a more suitable forum category if one exists. Members will see your topic and be able to respond to your question.

• This will not be shown to other users.
Joe Marconi

Breaking My Own Rule

If I can avoid it, I will not give price over the phone for something I have no knowledge of and not checked out. If we tell a regular customer who is in for service that the timing belt needs to be replaced and she calls back to get a price, that’s a different story and those jobs are money in the bank. Why? They are already our customer and there is that trust/relationship factor. But to blindly give someone a price on something that we have not inspected, based on what they think they need, over the phone, just does not sit well with me.

The other day, an acquaintance through the Local Chamber of Commerce, called me for a price on a brake job for his Land Rover. Why someone who owns a Land Rover needs a price is another story. So, after a few questions and explaining to him the reasons why I should inspect the car prior to giving a price, he pleaded with me and I caved in and gave him an estimate. A few days later I called him and left a message and he has not returned my call. This happened once before with this guy when he needed a price on tires. He never came in for the tires either.

I do plan on speaking to him at the next chamber meeting. He owns a local pharmacy and I am going to politely ask him how he would feel if the next time I shop in his store I asked the price of his deodorant, toothpaste, cough drops, medications and other items BEFORE I purchase them.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• By Elite Worldwide Inc.
      We're excited to announce the arrival of Sales Master University, Elite's online service advisor training service that delivers higher sales and happier customers to your shop!  
      What is it? 
      Every month your service advisors will have access to the industry's top sales training delivered by Ratchet & Wrench All-Star Award Winner, Jen Monclus. Plus they'll learn from superstar shop owners and service advisors to help them with real world application, and will benefit from assignments, testing, resources and more.   Your advisors can start learning the moment you enroll them, and can complete each lesson at the pace they choose from the place they choose for only $49 per advisor per month!   Enroll your advisors in SalesMasterUniversity.com today and get ready for amazing results. 
      BONUS: Enroll before July 31st and become a Charter Member and receive Mastering Sales Objections and Phone Procedures for the Automotive Professional, FOR FREE! 
      Visit SalesMasterUniversity.com to get your advisors on the path to higher sales and happier customers today!
    • By Joe Marconi
      As a result of COVID-19, we are seeing more and more businesses install plastic shields at their service and receptionist counters and desks.  What are your thoughts. Will you install the shield, have done it or is it a no?

• By Joe Marconi
      We all know the expression, "The Customer is always right." But is that really true?
      The other day a customer walked over to my tech and starting to scream at him for failing the NY State annual inspection. 
      I intervened and told the customer to stop and get away from my employee. I also told him that I would not tolerate anyone yelling and screaming at one of my employees. 
      Should I have been more "reserved" and try to defuse the situation?  Should I have "politely" listened to the customer's issue?
      Have you been in this position and what would you do? 

• By Joe Marconi
      Today is the first day of summer, and we are still dealing with the dreaded COVID-19.  However, there are positive indicators that business will be better than expected this summer.  People will be taking more road trips, will avoid airplanes, trains and Ubers and will take to the roads in record numbers.
      Gear up for a great summer and look for opportunity with each vehicle visit.  Perform those multipoints as if your business depends on it….why?....Because it does!
      We have a lot to be thankful for. Keep positive, be a leader and thrive!

• By Joe Marconi
      For many of us, it's been a wild ride the past few months. We had to take care of everything, making tough decisions, dealing with banks and the SBA and running the shop from the trenches. But, with things looking better each day, it’s time that we get back into the role of building and operating the company. 
      For many, the COVID-19 crisis is far from over.  However, the sooner we begin to adjust and build for the future, the better off we will be.
      Shop Owners are among the hardest working people on the planet. We find ways to get through the most difficult situations. I have no doubt that the lesson’s learned from this crisis will make us stronger and more successful.

• AutoShopOwner Sponsors