Quantcast
Joe Marconi

Breaking My Own Rule

If I can avoid it, I will not give price over the phone for something I have no knowledge of and not checked out. If we tell a regular customer who is in for service that the timing belt needs to be replaced and she calls back to get a price, that’s a different story and those jobs are money in the bank. Why? They are already our customer and there is that trust/relationship factor. But to blindly give someone a price on something that we have not inspected, based on what they think they need, over the phone, just does not sit well with me.

The other day, an acquaintance through the Local Chamber of Commerce, called me for a price on a brake job for his Land Rover. Why someone who owns a Land Rover needs a price is another story. So, after a few questions and explaining to him the reasons why I should inspect the car prior to giving a price, he pleaded with me and I caved in and gave him an estimate. A few days later I called him and left a message and he has not returned my call. This happened once before with this guy when he needed a price on tires. He never came in for the tires either.

I do plan on speaking to him at the next chamber meeting. He owns a local pharmacy and I am going to politely ask him how he would feel if the next time I shop in his store I asked the price of his deodorant, toothpaste, cough drops, medications and other items BEFORE I purchase them.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By JustTheBest
      Just one simple rule you need to keep in mind. I explain it all in this short video

Hope this helps!
      Matthew Lee
      "The Car Count Fixer"
    • By HarrytheCarGeek
      My son sent this link to me, he explained that the creator of this application show mathematically why those of us that care for our customers win, and also why some cheats prosper so much. Great application, worth your time if you want to understand why developing trust and excellent communication with your customers is critical.
      http://ncase.me/trust/
    • By RyanGMW
      Hey Everyone...
      I'm in the position to move my shop to a bigger, better location. I'm at 24 months into my 36mo lease. I rent 3200sq ft in a 20k sq ft building that has been vacant until now. The new tenant is a video arcade with a snack bar. Not a good fit for my high-line German auto shop...
      I have the chance to rent a shop that is 4500 sq ft with 5 bay doors and a glass showroom for my show car and waiting area, right in downtown on a main street. I have needed more space over the past 8 months and my business is growing very quickly right now. I think this space could be just what I need.

Any pointers on how to break my lease? I was the only one here when I moved in, now with this new tenant coming I lose my highway frontage signs and will have no right to the parking spaces out front of my shop, its first come-first served. The kind of crowd this business attracts is also a huge downside for me...
      One bargaining chip is my landlord is about to pay $15k to have the power meter split so I'm on my own and the rest of the building is for the other tenant. If I leave now, he won't have to spend that money and the other tenant may take over my space too if they can use it for storage or whatnot...

Any input is greatly appreciated!
      Ryan G.
    • By HarrytheCarGeek
      Notes from the UNDERGROUND: FREEDOM begins with BREAKING the MENTAL CHAINS!
      http://daviddegraw.org/notes-from-the-underground/

At this point, if you spend much time researching power politics or the distribution of wealth, resources and basic necessities, it seems evident and undeniable, dare I say, “common sense,” that we, in fact, live in a neo-feudal society built on debt and mental slavery.

That may sound like over-the-top rhetoric, and it obviously sounds extreme to propagandized and conditioned minds, and yes, it is extreme. However, it is the unfortunate reality of the present situation. The facts are there for the rational and unbiased mind to absorb and comprehend.

If you take a few minutes of your time and read this through, it will easily be proven. We will look at how the system works, and then, hopefully, we will begin the process of evolving society together, as grandiose as that may sound.

Let’s start by giving some context and perspective on present circumstances by breaking down some economic data. As Thomas Jefferson once said, “Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day.”
      - See more at: http://daviddegraw.org/notes-from-the-underground/#sthash.gJm7EYom.dpuf

• AutoShopOwner Sponsors