Quantcast

Start LLC for $0 at IncFile

Late Night Shift?

Late Night Shift?

There is a tire company in my area that has a late night, Thursday. They are open to 8:00pm. I really don’t know how profitable they are, they never appear that busy on Thursday nights. Has anyone tried a late night or know of other auto service companies that extended the work day?

From what I am hearing, many national accounts are open extended hours, even Sundays.

By the way, trust me...I am not looking to extend an already very long week...just want to see what the competition is doing.

Flash Sale + Social Proof

I've ran a big crew and lots of hours... I've ran a skeleton crew and lots of hours ... lately it's just me and office help, I run fewer hours and fewer cars... but the most surprising thing.... after all said and done with... my actual take home dollars is almost exactly the same as it was when I was putting in 60 or more hours a week and a full crew. Go figure...

My thought these days (the older I get) 5 days a week is all I can stand... I'm going home, enough is enough... leave those long hours for the young guys... LOL

One local dealer is running a second shift. I don't know if it is profitable or not. I think it is mostly fleet work.

My hours, 7:30 to 6:00 m-f and 7:30 to 1:00 on saturday are long enough. I don't want everyones business, just 2-3 thousand people that get what i am about and that are excited about telling others about me. As a rule 20 percent of your customers create 80 percent of your business.

I used to have longer hours and also was open on Saturday. Life is too short to work it all away. I got 4 loaner cars and am now only open Mon. - Fri from 7:30 am until 5:30 pm. If the customer can't get there car there during those hours, I arrange a free loaner car. I have 2 teenage boys and they come first. I wasn't making much with extended hours when you factor in paying overtime. Read this and it might change your mind from working yourself to death. Marbles

Great story. Life is about balance, and the scale needs to tip more in favor of family.

Joe, I would have to agree with you..."again.

I think most "guys" out there don't think of "life" as short.... that is until we all reach that 5-0 number... then you start taking a different look at things.

family is where I put my efforts into these days...

it's all you have when it's all said and done with... wait till you retire.. who do you think is going to come visit you... that guy that you changed his oil for the last 20 years... doubt it... but your family... now that's a different story.

never lose sight of what is REALLY important...

Great story. Life is about balance, and the scale needs to tip more in favor of family.

Joe, I would have to agree with you..."again.

I think most "guys" out there don't think of "life" as short.... that is until we all reach that 5-0 number... then you start taking a different look at things.

family is where I put my efforts into these days...

it's all you have when it's all said and done with... wait till you retire.. who do you think is going to come visit you... that guy that you changed his oil for the last 20 years... doubt it... but your family... now that's a different story.

never lose sight of what is REALLY important...

Amen!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Topics

• By Joe Marconi
      The Summer is in full swing, a time when many people take vacations and also spend time engaging in their favorite hobbies and activities. 
      How do you spend your free time?  
    • By Joe Marconi
      Before I started my auto repair shop, I worked for a Ford Dealer way back in the late 1970s, and my goal before leaving that dealership was to become an A-rated Master Tech. Their definition, at that time, was that a Tech had to be able to repair everything and anything from bumper to bumper.  Is that definition even possible? Can someone become proficient in every area of automotive service, repair, testing, and diagnosis? 
      About 10 years ago, I hired a technician that grew up in Greece. He was trained in one area of the automotive; Undercar. He was highly skilled in brakes, suspension, steering, wheel alignment, wheel balance, axles any issues or problems related to undercar. He was the best in his class, and I considered him an A-rated Master tech....in that area.
      With technology changing at light speed these days. Is it time for techs to specialize or narrow their scope of skills? 

• By Joe Marconi
      Now that I am not a shop owner, I had to make an appointment to have the A/C checked on my wife's car. While the vehicle was being serviced, the tech noticed a bubble on the tire. I told the service advisor to get me a good set of Michelins.  He said that might be hard since he had trouble getting some sizes and models.  My wife drives a Mercedes E350. 
      Are you seeing tire-related shortages too? 

• By Mike DelaCruz
      A topic that I’ve become more and more interested in is the future of our industry, specifically when it comes to Technicians.  I returned from the Spring Leadership Days in Orlando by Auto Care Association with an entirely new outlook, continuously reminding myself:  What can I do to help strengthen our future?
      As I scroll through my Facebook feed, reading through various forums and private group comments, I constantly hear about the Technician shortage and have been over the past few years.
      Does that raise any concern that we’re still talking about this after several years?  
      As I read through the comments in hopes to find solutions, regrettably the majority of the comments are not solutions to the problem.  So, my hope is to find a solution and identify what action I can personally take to help strengthen our future and do my part.  I don’t want to spend anymore time talking about what we already know (tech shortage), and watch our industry reduce to rubble in the years ahead.  Not on my watch… and I know a lot of you are with me!  Days turn into weeks, weeks turn into months and months turn into years.  Let’s not wait!
      As I visit shops around the country, which is my favorite thing to do, I notice a common pattern in the workflow.  Nearly 70% of the shops that I have visited in the past year have empty bays.  For example, a shop in the Bay Area I visited recently had 8 bays, but 4 were empty.  They had 2 Technicians, who both told me they’re extremely busy and this has become the “norm” until they hire more Technicians.  
      Of course, the owners have “tried everything”, but what does that mean?  Have they really tried “everything”, or are they looking for a band-aid to fix the short-term problem and not thinking about a long-term solution and preparing for the future?  
      Shops are busy right now and business is booming for most.  So even though they have the Tech shortage issue on their minds, it’s less of a priority right now because they’re busy!  It reminds me of what one of my favorite industry coaches (and friend) told me one time about “Panic Marketing”. Business slows down, then we expect our marketing company to step up some SEO or Ads and get cars in today, when in reality you have to plan out your marketing 6-months or a year in advance.  
      So what do we do when we have empty bays and a Tech shortage?  Many will simply place an Ad on Indeed, cross their fingers and hope for immediate applicants! That quick-fix strategy will never work.  But what will?  
      There are shops out there with effective strategies that actually work well.  Look at what they’re doing and get some ideas.  Joe Marconi has some awesome tips on hiring great people.  Having worked directly with Joe, I’ve seen the success firsthand.
      But for me personally, I’m more interested in the long-term and getting the “younger generation” interested in our trade.  I think this will help shape our future.  But how do we do this?  Someone once told me, if every shop ran an Apprenticeship program, this would help solve the problem.  
      Is that the silver bullet?  If not, what is?  

• Heavy Duty Parts Fleetcross
    • By WillieB
      hey all! I'm wondering if anyone knwos of any open source repair software? I'm a fan of wordpress as open source, gimp, open office so on I was hoping to find something to help manage a small shop with invoicing - similar to the big names but open source....anyone know of anything? 

• Our Sponsors