Quantcast

Dealer tech with big ideas...

LexTech

Hello everyone. I recently found this forum and have been reading alot of posts. I was hoping to find aood forum site for this part of the auto business, and it seems I have.

Im a Master tech at an import luxury car dealer. Ive been turning wrenches since high school, and have been working as a dealer tech for over 10 years now. Ive always had the thought of opening my own shop, but Ive recently decided to seriously consider it and do as much research as I can. I have some ideas of the sort of business model I would like to create, and I know Ill have alot of questions about the process of starting and running a business. Like most techs, I have no formal business training, but Id like to think I have a good head on my shoulders and a decent amount of common sense.

Ill leave this post to just an introduction, and I will be posting other questions on the forum as they come up. I know I have alot to ask, so you will be seeing alot of me on here, im sure!

• 5 months later...

Glad to have ya... you'll find a wealth of knowledge here. And a few older wrench benders such as myself posting stuff all the time.

Running your own business is a challenge, I've been at it nearly 30 years. Has it been great, sure, has it been bad, sure... I still enjoy it, and I probably would do it all over again (I didn't just write that did I... OMG...I may regret that someday...) Hey, seriously though, if that's what ya want... GO FOR IT.

Hello everyone. I recently found this forum and have been reading alot of posts. I was hoping to find aood forum site for this part of the auto business, and it seems I have.

Im a Master tech at an import luxury car dealer. Ive been turning wrenches since high school, and have been working as a dealer tech for over 10 years now. Ive always had the thought of opening my own shop, but Ive recently decided to seriously consider it and do as much research as I can. I have some ideas of the sort of business model I would like to create, and I know Ill have alot of questions about the process of starting and running a business. Like most techs, I have no formal business training, but Id like to think I have a good head on my shoulders and a decent amount of common sense.

Ill leave this post to just an introduction, and I will be posting other questions on the forum as they come up. I know I have alot to ask, so you will be seeing alot of me on here, im sure!

Get yourself a copy of a book called the E-Myth by Michael Gerber

First; GREAT, GREAT suggestion, perhaps the most enlightening book you can read.

Welcome to ASO. Within these forums is a wealth of knowledge from a lot of veterans and seasoned shop owners. My advice as a shop owner for 30 years is to learn as much about business as you can. In today’s competitive world you need to understand not only mechanics, but the mechanics of business. You don’t want to fall into the trap as so many of us have and spend a lifetime working very hard with little to show for it.

Build something that will make you proud, always have passion for what you are doing, don’t ever forget the people around and strive to always be the best.

Good luck and stay in touch.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Topics

• By carmcapriotto
      We are wrapping up our 3 part series with Bob Cooper and the Q&A discussion with a customer panel at the 2022 Elite Invitational. Chris Monroe joins us as we discuss websites, google ads and cause marketing. Don’t forget to download your complimentary Customer Care Guide and an Owners Job Description Guide by going to eliteworldwide.com/ARN or find the link in the show notes.  Bob Cooper, Founder/President Elite Worldwide. Complimentary Elite Customer Care Guide Template HERE. Listen to Bob’s other episodes HERE Chris Monroe, Monroe Tire & Service, Shelby, NC. Business Development Coach,  Elite Worldwide, Elite Top Shop 360. Listen to Chris' other episodes HERE   Key Talking Points
      Watch Full Episode on YouTube HERE Websites - What they look for on websites: years in business, pictures of shop/employees (nonstock photos), connection (dogs, kids etc), phone number and email address, reviews, attraction to family business What didn't they say? Price, list of services Google Ads - Their use of the paid Google ads found at the top of search results- they do not consider them as recommendations. Consumers want to do their own research Cause Marketing - powerful but not a top priority to sway decisions, encourage referrals, and find a cause you believe in to be involved with. Complimentary Elite Customer Care Guide Template HERE. Link to Part 1 Link to Part 2
      Connect with the Podcast: Aftermarket Radio Network Subscribe on YouTube Visit us on the Web Follow on Facebook Become an Insider Buy me a coffee Important Books Check out today's partner: Learn more about NAPA AutoCare and the benefits of being part of the NAPA family by visiting www.NAPAAutoCare.com

Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By Joe Marconi
      There seem to be mixed opinions on what Business System is the best. And also, not all business systems fit a particular repair shop model.
      There are a lot of new players in the past few years: Auto Leap, Protractor, Teckmetrics, Shop Boss, Shop Monkey, and more.
      Are you happy with your system?  What features are important to you? 
    • By Joe Marconi
      I have heard mixed messages from around the country concerning parts. Are you seeing acquiring parts getting worse or better?
    • By ASOG Podcast
      Car Shield Warranty Exposed: How to Avoid Being Scammed
    • Advertise your services or products to passers-by attracting them towards your business
    • By carmcapriotto
      Another informative episode with NAPA’s VP of Emerging Technology, Susan Starnes. We talk about NAPA’s support for all their customers as they focus on providing tools, parts, and training to meet all the future technology needs so we can seize every opportunity to repair the newest high-tech vehicles.
      Susan Starnes, Vice President, Emerging Markets of Genuine Parts Company
      Key Talking Points
      General discussion about the penetration of EVs, ADAS, connectivity Her team works closely with training NexDrive program- equipt shops to service EV’s and hybrids, started in the Netherlands in 2020. Looking to roll out and test in the US soon. Having products, training and communication and support around the program.  
      Connect with the Podcast:
      Aftermarket Radio Network

Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partner:
      Learn more about NAPA AutoCare and the benefits of being part of the NAPA family by visiting www.NAPAAutoCare.com

Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio

• Our Sponsors

general heavy-duty 728x90

general heavy-duty 468x60

general heavy-duty 250x250