Quantcast

Family

Besides my relationship to God the other really important thing in my life is my wife, children, and grandchildren. My wife and I will be married 37 years in July. Now I am not that old. We got married when I was 20. We have three children and seven grandchildren but we now have the news that number 8 and number 9 are on the way. My son and his wife have one on the way in October. He has three girls and wants a boy really bad. Then this week we learned that our youngest daughter is having her second. Our grandkids are a blast. We are excited and happy and consider ourselves blessed. Forgivge me for bragging but I married a very beautiful and talented woman and our kids are all talented musicians and singers and it looks like the grandkids will follow suit. When I say talented I mean that our youngest daughter has the looks, the moves, and the voice to make the top ten on American Idol but she won't do it but pursues Christian ministry. She is good enough that she has recorded work out CDs for Curves and has performed live at Curves business conventions in Atlanta, SanFrancisco and Chicago. Here is my youngest daughter and her husbands websiste: Criag Jones Ministries Worship

Forgive me for bragging guys but I am very proud of my family and I am really excited to have a new grand baby. My wife and I really value family and have always hoped to have ten grandkids. We are now getting close because 9 is on the way. Of course, the down side is Christmas, birthdays, and taking everybody out to eat is breaking me up. biggrin.gif

You should be proud... it's your leadership and husbandry that made it all possible. Sounds like you've got quite a crew, CONGRATULATIONS! !

I've got 3 grandkids so I know what ya mean about the little ones.... they think Papa can do no wrong... makes my day when I see them.

As far as the dinner thing... well, that's the price ya pay... but it's still a hoot to do it I'm sure. my little slogan; Kids are kids for a short time, but being an adult is for the rest of your life. Take time to share with the kids... they'll remember it even when they have their own grandkids. Gonzo

Like Joe said, that's pride. I am a generation behind you guys as I am the one with the small kids. I love spending time with my wife and my 3 kids whenever I can. I wish that I could spend more time but for everyone saying that they are slow I have so many cars in my lot I can't turn around...Not complaining but come on. It always seems to be the busiest when my parents are in town to visit and I want to spend time with my family.

I proudly have picture so my wife and kids as my business computer screen saver. Makes it nice to remind me why I do what I do.

Above all, family is # 1

I've got manuals for fixing cars no matter how long they've been around. Family, well, I'd like to think that I don't make too many mistakes, and If I do... my wife is more understanding than some of those customers I run across.... LOL

BTW... my wife is a big time quilter... I know, I know... it ain't car stuff.. she is on her second book for publishing...

You can check out some photos and stuff on her website when ya got a minute. www.persimmonquilts.com (her first book was a best seller in the quilt world... over 30,000 copies... and still counting.)

pretty proud of the old gal...

Last week my service manager's wife went to the quilting convention in KC. He was complaining because his wife had called him up wanting the money to trade up her machine. It seens there was an upgrade she needed. It was like $5,000 for what she needed but all it was going to cost her to trade for a brand new machine with the feature was $6,900. He moaned about it all week.

Now that's funny... but got ya beat... her sewing machine... 5500.00, quilting machine... 12,000.00, and then there is the soft ware, the updates... etc... sounds like the scanners at the shop... LOL

My wife was at the KC show too. Ask your wife if she has a copy of "Loose Change"... that's my wife's book... I'll bet she does. LOL

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

UPDATE: My wifes second book is scheduled to be on the shelves by Oct 1st. It's another of her quilting instructional books. Looks like it's going to be another good seller. She's extremely good at this quilting stuff...all of which... I don't have a clue about. I'll stick to fixin' the cars... she can keep fixin' quilts.

check it out at her website -- www.persimmonquilts.com

Now that's funny... but got ya beat... her sewing machine... 5500.00, quilting machine... 12,000.00, and then there is the soft ware, the updates... etc... sounds like the scanners at the shop... LOL

My wife was at the KC show too. Ask your wife if she has a copy of "Loose Change"... that's my wife's book... I'll bet she does. LOL

• 1 month later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Have you checked out Joe's Latest Blog?

3 comments
      Got your attention? Good. The truth is, there is no such thing as the perfect technician pay plan. There are countless ways to create any pay plan. I’ve heard all the claims and opinions, and to be honest, it’s getting a little frustrating. Claims that an hourly paid pay plan cannot motivate. That flat rate is the only way to truly get the most production from your technicians. And then there’s the hybrid performance-based pay plan that many claim is the best.
      At a recent industry event, a shop owner from the Midwest boasted about his flat-rate techs and insisted that this pay plan should be adopted by all shops across the country. When I informed him that in states like New York, you cannot pay flat-rate, he was shocked. “Then how do you motivate your techs” he asked me.
      I remember the day in 1986 when I hired the best technician who ever worked for me in my 41 years as an automotive shop owner. We’ll call him Hal. When Hal reviewed my pay plan for him, and the incentive bonus document, he stared at it for a minute, looked up, and said, “Joe, this looks good, but here’s what I want.” He then wrote on top of the document the weekly salary he wanted. It was a BIG number. He went on to say, “Joe, I need to take home a certain amount of money. I have a home, a wife, two kids, and my Harly Davidson. I will work hard and produce for you. I don’t need an incentive bonus to do my work.” And he did, for the next 30 years, until the day he retired.
      Everyone is entitled to their opinion. So, here’s mine. Money is a motivator, but not the only motivator, and not the best motivator either. We have all heard this scenario, “She quit ABC Auto Center, to get a job at XYZ Auto Repair, and she’s making less money now at XYZ!” We all know that people don’t leave companies, they leave the people they work for or work with.
      With all this said, I do believe that an incentive-based pay plan can work. However, I also believe that a technician must be paid a very good base wage that is commensurate with their ability, experience, and certifications. I also believe that in addition to money, there needs to be a great benefits package. But the icing on the cake in any pay plan is the culture, mission, and vision of the company, which takes strong leadership. And let’s not forget that motivation also comes from praise, recognition, respect, and when technicians know that their work matters.
      Rather than looking for that elusive perfect pay plan, sit down with your technician. Find out what motivates them. What their goals are. Why do they get out of bed in the morning? When you tie their goals with your goals, you will have one powerful pay plan.