Quantcast

Shop owners and techs, be proud of what you do

xrac

Suberb. Thank You Joe for telling us your heart. I for one have never been hurt by being called a grease monkey. I can understand the pain but I am very proud of what I do and how well I do it. It doesn't matter to me much what other people think or say of me. I do what I do because I love it and get great satisfaction from working on cars. I have worked hard all my life (growing up on a dairy farm with no money helps teach hard work) and because of that my hands have always been dirty.

Yes, it may be less attractive but just as necessary to everyday life as what we do. It was a fantastic way to grow up. Its just a shame that there is no way to even make ends meet anymore by farming unless you are a huge operation. Hm, kinda like what happens in this business some time.

Joe, I really enjoyed your article. You do a very good job writing. I don't see how you do it with all of the other responsibilities you have. Concerning the term "grease monkey" you may find this interesting. Prior to opening our shop in 1999 I spent ten years working as a professional in the environmental consulting/contracting business. I held a CHMM (certified hazardous materials manager) designation and work on a lot of large projects almost from coast to coast. I have held contractors license of one type or another in nine (9) different states. Joe, I have also served as an expert witness in environmental litigation and I prepared Phase I & II reports for banks, lawyers, etc.

My wife is from Appalachia and when here family learned that we were opening a repair shop (Car-x Auto Service Franchisee) her mother and brother were both saying that they couldn't believe that Frank was going to be a grease monkey. They never said this to my face but to other family members. This went on until my son got married and everyone came to the wedding and I took them to see our shop. It was a brand new modern brick building on a prime piece of commercial property with seven bays and five technicians working for me (we invested about $700,000 in 1999). It was obvious that they thought of the little old 2-3 bay garages that they were use to down in the mountains. They didn't have a concept of what we were trying to do until they saw the building. They never used the word grease monkey again.

xrac, Thanks for sharing that with. I really appreciate it. It took me years to even talk this incident. It means a lot to me to have my friends and fellow shop owners read this and share the pain. We need to be proud of what we do. You are a true professional; your credentials prove that fact.

Writing and sharing experiences is my therapy.

xrac, Thanks for sharing that with. I really appreciate it. It took me years to even talk this incident. It means a lot to me to have my friends and fellow shop owners read this and share the pain. We need to be proud of what we do. You are a true professional; your credentials prove that fact.

Writing and sharing experiences is my therapy.

To all who read my article, thank you. You are the best. It makes me proud to be associated with all of you. Maybe I should have talked about this sooner. If I had to do it all over again...I would not change a thing!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now