Quantcast

Why Not Give a Tech a Pay Guarantee?

• Joe Marconi changed the title to Why Not Give a Tech a Pay Guarantee?

I was a service writer at a Mercedes dealer years ago, the pay plan there was the light line techs were given a 40 hour pay, even if they failed to flag that amount of hours, the next tier was set a 45 and the heavy techs were set at 50 hours pay. The owner was a nice fellow and wanted each employee to want to come to work, but also wanted zero, none, no comebacks. His thoughts were if your sure your going to at least flag 40 hours there was no reason for any short cuts, rushed jobs and the possiblily to cause a comeback. that just ticked off the customer and made the dealer look bad. I have to say the entire service department worked extremely well and everyone seemed interested in doing a good job. And that was back when labor rates were in the mid $60 per hour range. None of the other dealers in the "Motor Mall" did that and seemed a lot of the techs in those other dealers were always coming in applying for a job. We rarely had any turnover in our techs.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Joe Marconi said:

A great strategy, based on culture!

Would you say that the technicians consistently produced the hours that were needed to maintain sales and profits? 

Oh yes, very few ever actually collected the guaranteed hours, but it was there as a security for the guys that really took the time to ensure quality work and not be penalized for the hard job or that one that kicks your butt. It made that whole service department seem to click like a well oiled machine. I liked working there. 

• 10 months later...