Quantcast

I hope They DO NOT Extend the Extra Unemployment Payments

Any plan to pay a worker more money to stay home than what they normally would earn for working is a plan destined for unintended consequences and grossly unfair to everyone who goes to work every day. The excuse for wanting to stay home is fear of contracting Covid and there are certainly workers who have underlying heath conditions that predispose them to a poorer outcome should they contract it. How can anyone justify rewarding people who decide to stay home? If you fail to go to work for a justified reason you should receive benefits that are based on your current earnings (which the government has access to). Assuming you are afraid but otherwise healthy the benefit should be reduced for the following reasons: Since you are staying home you have no gas, tolls or bridge expenses. If you are staying home you have no child care expenses. Entertainment expenses should be zero since you are afraid to go to work you should also be afraid to expose yourself to what little entertainment we now have. Cell phones, cable tv (in particular all premium channels) are not essential and should be cancelled. Steaks, shrimp and lobster needs to be quickly replaced with rice, hot dogs and beans. The landscaper, window cleaner, painter etc. needs to be cancelled since you are home and have more than enough time to complete those tasks yourself. 

• Like 1

The only people who have been applying at my shop are the people that did not qualify for unemployment because they were terminated with justification. Anyone I have spoken to that was laid off and eligible for unemployment is making too much to sit at home. In Colorado you just have to check a box on a computer every week, no need to submit any info proving your trying to get hired.

• Like 1