Quantcast

Shop Labor Rate Tracker

We now have a nice tool available to all premium and platinum members under the tools menu, where you can view labor rates entered by our members on an easy to use map, similar to our member map. This is designed to give you an idea of where you are vs the market in your area. As you zoom in, the circle averages open up to more specific areas.

Shop Labor Rate Map

If you aren't currently a subscribed premium or platinum member, you can upgrade here.

• Like 1

• Alex unpinned this topic

THIS would be such a cool thing to have for ALL OF US!  I would LOVE to post my Labor Rate and be able to see those all over the country but PREMIUM or PLATINUM only leads me to believe that this site is more interested in my money than raising the boats (a rising tide lifts all boats!).  Sorry, guess I am done here...

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
On 1/18/2020 at 11:31 PM, Alex said:

Our shop labor rate map has been updated and has over 600 entries currently. The averages below expand as you scroll into the map.

image.png

This mape is crazy . I work with extended warranty companies every day. They send us data buy zip codes every week. south Florida euro shops range from $130 to $165 for independent shops. Goodyear and firestone are 125 ++ in 33020 

I have no idea how this map is so low. NYC avg rate 150   San Francisco  235  WTF 

If you pay your techs 28-35 hr and your service advisers 4% or apx $1200 a week Shop , Insurance, Workers comp ,Health ins etc and  mortgage  how in the world does make it?   I know my rate is $112 to $180 depending on the kind of work and car. Please if there are any A techs who want to make a great living come on down. 

@Ollie G Its driven only by what members enter, so it would really depend heavily on that data. Its meant so you can see where others are, here in the community. So here's what we see for south Florida (only members that have entered their rates)

image.png

• 2 years later...

Our labor rate map is available for all members of ASO and has hundreds (almost 1,000) of entries!

Please take a moment to update your shop labor rate in our tracker located under the "TOOLS" main menu and directly via this link: https://www.autoshopowner.com/laborrates/

Click "Add Labor Rate" to view your current entry. Check out where other shops are in your area!

• Alex changed the title to Shop Labor Rate Tracker

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Have you checked out Joe's Latest Blog?

• By Joe Marconi in Joe's Blog
      Typically, when productivity suffers, the shop owner or manager directs their attention to the technicians. Are they doing all they can do to maintain high billable hours? Are they as efficient as they can be?  Is there time being wasted throughout the technician’s day? 
      All these reasons factor into production problems, but before we point fingers at the technicians, let’s consider a few other factors.
      Are estimates being written properly? Are labor testing and inspections being billed out correctly? Are you charging enough for testing and inspecting, especially for highly specialized electrical, on-board computer issues, and other complex drivability work?  Is there a clear workflow process everyone follows that details every step from the write-up to vehicle delivery? Do you track comebacks, and is that affecting production?  Is the shop layout not conducive to high production? For example, is it unorganized, where shop tools, technical information, and equipment are not easily accessible to every technician?  Are you charging the correct labor rate and allowing for variables such as rust, vehicle age, and the fact that most labor guides are wrong? Also, is there effective communication between the tech and the service advisor to ensure that extra labor time is accounted for and billed to the customer? These are a few of the top reasons for low productivity problems. There are others, but the main point is to look at the entire operation. Productivity is a team effort.  Blaming the techs or other staff members does not get to the root cause in most cases.
      Maintaining adequate production levels is the responsibility of management to create the processes that will lead to high production while holding everyone accountable. 
  • Similar Topics

• By carmcapriotto
      There's an art to giving and receiving critical feedback properly. Join Dr. Dave Weiman as he dives into the psychological background of what happens when people feel criticized. He also explains common mistakes and practical tools to apply for an effective and efficient conversation. Dr. David Weiman is the president of Weiman Consulting, a leadership consulting firm in Philadelphia PA. Listen to David’s previous episodes HERE Show Notes
      Common mistakes managers make- waiting too long to give the feedback, if you're letting things fester and stew, by the time you give the feedback, you're really angry, talking about things you didn't directly observe, loading up with several complaints at the same time, and talking too long at the beginning of the conversation Give positive feedback when it's fresh Are people conditioned and associate that good news is always followed by bad news with the 'sandwich technique?' Make it a conversation, not an event. What happens when people feel criticized? Stop listening as they plan how to defend themselves (as defensiveness goes up, listening goes down) Feel resentful. Can wonder why this wasn’t brought up before. Get angry in response. How to give effective critical feedback- mindset, be curious about what the other person’s response may be. Keep your “opening” short, no more than 3 sentences and no more than 10 words per sentence. Use the Situation-Behavior-Impact model from the Center for Creative Leadership: Situation- generally what was going on, “When you were taking the keys from that customer and they said they looked up the problem on google …” Behavior- “I noticed you rolled your eyes.” Impact- the customer said “I saw that!” asked to talk to the manager Interestingly, in studies of body language, we're the least aware of what's going on with our own face because we can't see it, the other person can. A lot of time when we're giving feedback, we're not putting ourselves in the shoes of the person who's receiving it.  Be effective and be efficient, the goal is to get better at it, not to be perfect at the first time
      Thanks to our Partners AAPEX and NAPA TRACS. Set your sights on Las Vegas in 2023. Mark your calendar now … October 31 - Nov 2, 2023, AAPEX - Now more than ever. And don’t miss the next free AAPEX webinar. Register now at AAPEXSHOW.COM NAPA TRACS will move your shop into the SMS fast lane with onsite training and six days a week of support and local representation. Find NAPA TRACS on the Web at NAPATRACS.com Connect with the Podcast: Aftermarket Radio Network Subscribe on YouTube Visit us on the Web Follow on Facebook Become an Insider Buy me a coffee Important Books Check out today's partners:      
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By Joe Marconi
      Let's face it, no one or no entity will help us with the Tech shortage. The truth is, this is not new. This shortage has been created largely from decades of steering young people to college, and not the trades.  I believe we need to get involved with apprenticeship programs. Below is an article in Motor Magazine.
      Your thoughts? Comments?

• By Transmission Repair

Premium Member Content 

This content is hidden to guests, one of the benefits of a paid membership. Please login or register to view this content.

• By carmcapriotto
      If you want to get a good fight started in the automotive industry, all you have to do is start a discussion about coupons or discounts. In this episode, we dig into the topic. Should you use coupons in your marketing strategy?
      Thank you to our friends at RepairPal for providing you with this episode. As shop owners, we were part of RepairPal’s Certified network, and you can learn more at RepairPal.com/shops.
      Talking Points
      Should you use coupons in your marketing strategy? Will they bring you more clients? What type of client are you trying to attract? Are you good at converting “coupon customers” into lifelong customers? If you do use coupons, what are some promotions you can do? Can coupons be successful with high-end clients? If you don’t want to do discounts but do want to run promotions, what are some ideas?  
      Lagniappe (Books, Links, Other Podcasts, etc)

$100M Offers by Alex Hormozi  
      How To Get In Touch

Group - Auto Repair Marketing Mastermind
      Website - shopmarketingpros.com 
      Facebook - facebook.com/shopmarketingpros 
      Get the Book - shopmarketingpros.com/book
      Instagram - @shopmarketingpros 
      Questions/Ideas - [email protected] 
      Thanks to our partner, RepairPal. Visit the Web HERE
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By ASOG Podcast
      Auto Repair Shops Should All Be Doing This