Quantcast

Hi all

NATURE

I found this site by accident and have been really impressed with the information it contains.  I've been a tech for around 28 years, the first 19 at new car stores and the last 9 at a used car store.  I am in the process of purchasing the store and I know this site will greatly help me to succeed .  This is a 3 bay shop in Southeastern Wisconsin and I've been the sole service employee during my time here.  I believe this to be a great opportunity in that the location is excellent and the previous owner is going to continue his business here not only providing me with rent, but service work as well.  I know this cooperation will be an advertising nightmare but I believe the benefits will outweigh the negatives.  Anyway, just wanted to say hello and I welcome any comments. 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Available Subscriptions

• Have you checked out Joe's Latest Blog?

0 comments
      It always amazes me when I hear about a technician who quits one repair shop to go work at another shop for less money. I know you have heard of this too, and you’ve probably asked yourself, “Can this be true? And Why?” The answer rests within the culture of the company. More specifically, the boss, manager, or a toxic work environment literally pushed the technician out the door.
      While money and benefits tend to attract people to a company, it won’t keep them there. When a technician begins to look over the fence for greener grass, that is usually a sign that something is wrong within the workplace. It also means that his or her heart is probably already gone. If the issue is not resolved, no amount of money will keep that technician for the long term. The heart is always the first to leave. The last thing that leaves is the technician’s toolbox.
      Shop owners: Focus more on employee retention than acquisition. This is not to say that you should not be constantly recruiting. You should. What it does means is that once you hire someone, your job isn’t over, that’s when it begins. Get to know your technicians. Build strong relationships. Have frequent one-on-ones. Engage in meaningful conversation. Find what truly motivates your technicians. You may be surprised that while money is a motivator, it’s usually not the prime motivator.
      One last thing; the cost of technician turnover can be financially devastating. It also affects shop morale. Do all you can to create a workplace where technicians feel they are respected, recognized, and know that their work contributes to the overall success of the company. This will lead to improved morale and team spirit. Remember, when you see a technician’s toolbox rolling out of the bay on its way to another shop, the heart was most likely gone long before that.
  • Similar Topics

• By Changing The Industry
      How to Build a Strong Online Community and Avoid Internet Forum Disasters #podcast
    • By carmcapriotto
      We are at the 2022 Napa Expo with reigning two-time world champion Ron Capps, who has just recently started his own Motorsports company. Find out what it’s like being both the driver and team owner. Listen to Ron explain the initial rush when his race car goes from 0-100mph in 7/10 of a second. He says It’s all about his team and the processes and procedures.
      Established in 2021, Ron Capps Motorsports is a single-car NHRA Funny Car team owned and operated by reigning and two-time world champion Ron Capps. Headquartered in Brownsburg, Ind., the team will make its on-track debut in 2022 and will compete on the 22-race NHRA Camping World Drag Racing Series circuit thanks to the support of NAPA AUTO PARTS. Capps, who serves as both the owner and driver of his namesake operation, is the second-winningest Funny Car pilot in NHRA history, with 67 wins in the category and 68 overall (1 Top Fuel). The 2022 NHRA season marks Capps’ 28th year competing in the sport’s professional ranks.
      Category: NHRA Funny Car Sponsor/car: NAPA AUTO PARTS Crew chief: Dean ‘Guido’ Antonelli, John Medlen Career best points finish: 1st (2016, 2021) Career event titles: 68 (Funny Car: 67; Top Fuel: 1) Career final rounds: 131 (Funny Car: 129; Top Fuel: 2) Career No. 1 qualifying positions: 29 Career best elapsed time: 3.837 secs, (Reading, 2019) Career best speed: 339.28 mph (Reading, 2019)
      On the Internet: twitter.com/RonCapps28, facebook.com/RonCappsFC, Instagram.com/RonCapps28, NAPAonline.com, NHRA
      Key Talking Points
      What people forget- NAPA isn’t a chain or a franchise; it is owned by people in your neighborhood. His dad was a dealer technician- he was his dad's mechanical assistant  Told team owner last September he wasn’t coming back- Announced the launch of his own team, Ron Capps Motorsports, in December 2021. The team, with Capps serving as owner-driver, made its NHRA debut in 2022 2022 marks Capps’ 28th season competing professionally in the NHRA (first event: Phoenix, 1995) One of 17 drivers in NHRA history to have claimed a win in both the Top Fuel and Funny Car categories “I was in my mom’s belly at my first race,” he says, adding his mom, Betty, met his dad, John, at a drag race. “I’ll never forget when I was at the Denver airport going up an escalator, and a woman at least 80 was coming down,” he recalls. “As she came closer, she started singing the ‘NAPA Know How’ song and was shaking her head as we do in the commercials “You can’t win the Kentucky Derby on a mule.” Intrigued by hearing the stories of NAPA Auto Care people and fans while attending events and networking  Hired his world championship team to join him- the manager is critical and the trust to let the team members do what they need to do with processes and procedures. There is a team goal to be successful.  Advice for son- get a basic business degree Behind the scenes before a race- sponsor event (like indoor go carting, top golf, dinners etc) 8 crew members take apart an engine and put it back together in 33 minutes. 11,000 horsepower 300 mph+ in a quarter mile 0 to 100mph in 7/10 of a second in 60 ft His wife is involved in the business- invoices, insurance, etc “Crash course to be an owner…but you can do it.”  
      Connect with the Podcast:
      Aftermarket Radio Network

Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partner:
      Learn more about NAPA AutoCare and the benefits of being part of the NAPA family by visiting www.NAPAAutoCare.com

Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By carmcapriotto
      Welcome to ASA Technology and Telematics Forumn 2019 and this episode contains transformational information that you’ll need to know and want to know.
      Bill Nalu is President of Interstate Auto Care in Madison Heights, Michigan and has been in business for 30 years.  Bill collaborates with industry professionals, in building today’s “high-tech/old-fashioned” customer service system. Bill has been a big contributor to the podcast and he currently serves on several industries and educational advisory councils including AutoValue/Bumper to Bumper, Dorman Industries, and Cardone.
      Bill Nalu’s Previous Episodes HERE.
      Frank Leutz from Desert Car Care in Chandler, AZ.  Frank has a weekly radio ‘call in show’ called ‘Wrench Nation’. Frank also does a video feature called ‘Inside the Garage’ where he discusses vehicle failures and cures.
      Listen to Frank’s previous episodes HERE.
      ASA Technology and Telematics Forumn 2019
      Access to data The psychological effect of autonomous vehicles- pedestrians crossing, security testing etc Augmented reality in testing- simulated Supply and demand- tech shortage, fewer vehicles on the road but those vehicles will be running more mileage. Less traffic congestion, smarter vehicle communication Dealerships locking data from independent shops will have negative effect on both GM strategy- zero congestion, zero emissions, and zero crashes in future Technology is the new cornerstone of our industry Discussion of Turo Balance of cybersecurity and access to data  
      Talk soon,

Resources:
      Thanks to Bill Nalu and Frank Leutz for their contribution to the aftermarket’s premier podcast. Link to the ‘BOOKS‘ page highlighting all books discussed in the podcast library HERE. Leaders are readers. Leave me an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one of them.

Be socially involved and in touch with the show:
      Facebook   Twitter   Linked In    Email    Events    Speaking
      Subscribe to a mobile listening app HERE.

Gold Certification recognizes top tier NAPA AutoCares with a high level of participation in the AutoCare program. The program was built by AutoCare Centers for AutoCare Centers to provide a consistent consumer experience, maximize technology leverage, and reward NAPA’s most committed partners. In other words, Gold Certified AutoCare Centers are the standard bearers for the AutoCare brand nationwide. Simply put, the Gold Certified NAPA AutoCare program, powered by your local shop brand, will separate you from the rest helping you boost your bay counts and your average repair orders.
      Learn more about NAPA AutoCare, Gold Certification, and the hundreds of other benefits the NAPA family has to offer by talking with your servicing NAPA store or visiting www.NAPAAutoCare.com.
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By slowtech
      Just got my e-mail on the latest forum topics. Out of 20 topics 7 are marketing ads from the same person. Also under popular forum topics of 5, 3 are ads also by same person of which no discussion took place. So how are these popular. I get a ton of advertising e-mail. Just didn't expect this from ASO. I do look into some ASO sponsor ads. But this is not necessary.
    • Fast Free Shipping on All Orders Over $50
    • By Alex
      Today we added a new option to view the main page of the forum in a fluid view. This view will list out the latest topics (similar to the sidebar latest topics). If you click on the "Showing topics from all forums" link (highlighted in yellow below), you can filter which forums you would like to see topics from. You can easily switch back to the classic table forum view at any time. The 2 buttons are right next to the start new topic button.

Filter your view by forums:

• Our Sponsors