Quantcast

Auto shop owner new forum topics

slowtech

Just got my e-mail on the latest forum topics. Out of 20 topics 7 are marketing ads from the same person. Also under popular forum topics of 5, 3 are ads also by same person of which no discussion took place. So how are these popular. I get a ton of advertising e-mail. Just didn't expect this from ASO. I do look into some ASO sponsor ads. But this is not necessary.

• Like 3

Slowtech,

I'm glad you posted this. I was just going down the list of topics in the weekly email thinking to myself that it looks like the forum is turning into more of an advertising platform. So I started going down the list and came across your post. So you are definitely not alone in your thinking. 

Scott 

• Like 1

I imagine the marketing ads help pay for maintaining the forum, so I don't mind too much.

What I don't like is the catchy title that links to a 3 minute pitch for a link to a "GREAT" webinar that ends up to be a 20 minute pitch (with no content) for a live seminar.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, newport5 said:

I imagine the marketing ads help pay for maintaining the forum, so I don't mind too much.

What I don't like is the catchy title that links to a 3 minute pitch for a link to a "GREAT" webinar that ends up to be a 20 minute pitch (with no content) for a live seminar.

newport5,

I understand the need to have ads to generate revenue. Using the forum to make pitches with click bait, is not the proper use of a forum. I'm pretty sure no revenue is generated from these posts. It's someone abusing, and degrading the system to get free publicity.

Scott 

13 hours ago, newport5 said:

Scott,

Here's what I meant about the forum making money off the guy posting the webinars about webinars.

He's a paid member, you and I are free,

Victor

Victor,

I see what you are saying now. I thought using the forum for marketing would be prohibited, but I just found out it is actually encouraged. I found this on the site while checking out the sponsored membership. 

"Sponsor Membership to AutoShopOwner for 1 year, which will renew annually. You will receive all the benefits of a Premium Membership. In addition, you will be able to market your business to our member base by posting about your business in our community forums, start your own blog, write articles..."

Scott

6 hours ago, ScottSpec said:

Victor,

I see what you are saying now. I thought using the forum for marketing would be prohibited, but I just found out it is actually encouraged. I found this on the site while checking out the sponsored membership. 

"Sponsor Membership to AutoShopOwner for 1 year, which will renew annually. You will receive all the benefits of a Premium Membership. In addition, you will be able to market your business to our member base by posting about your business in our community forums, start your own blog, write articles..."

Scott

This is why these forums are quiet, not really active, and lame IMO. This is not about shops discussing issues and solutions or new ideas. Every post has some alleged Guru pushing their agenda so they can augment their social security income. They prey on the weakness of the inexperienced, new or struggling auto shop owner who needs car count with great ways to get cars in the door, and work the opportunity which usually ends up with high effort, high stress and little to no profits.

If they really wanted to make money they would open up their own shops, prove the concepts by having millions annually in sales, 20% plus in profits all while sitting on the beach and also taking a nice paycheck when in the office.

1 hour ago, Wheelingauto said:

This is why these forums are quiet, not really active, and lame IMO. This is not about shops discussing issues and solutions or new ideas. Every post has some alleged Guru pushing their agenda so they can augment their social security income. They prey on the weakness of the inexperienced, new or struggling auto shop owner who needs car count with great ways to get cars in the door, and work the opportunity which usually ends up with high effort, high stress and little to no profits.

If they really wanted to make money they would open up their own shops, prove the concepts by having millions annually in sales, 20% plus in profits all while sitting on the beach and also taking a nice paycheck when in the office.

It seems to me that the forums have been much quieter. I'm not sure if that is correct or not, but I know when I get that email every week, and I see the topic list, I get turned off pretty quickly. Then I stop looking at them all together when they come.

Scott

• Like 1

On 8/19/2018 at 11:02 PM, slowtech said:

Just got my e-mail on the latest forum topics. Out of 20 topics 7 are marketing ads from the same person. Also under popular forum topics of 5, 3 are ads also by same person of which no discussion took place. So how are these popular. I get a ton of advertising e-mail. Just didn't expect this from ASO. I do look into some ASO sponsor ads. But this is not necessary.

I've been watching this topic and appreciate the feedback. We definitely have an opportunity to send out the weekly newsletter/digest more refined I suppose. What happens is that the the topics that are listed in the email are the latest NEW topics and most of the ones that are started/created are by sponsor members who pay to be able to post in our forums and support the community. Here are our membership packages: https://www.autoshopowner.com/store/category/1-membership-packages/ 

That being said, we are going to change around the weekly email a bit starting this Sunday and break out the topics from the two forums where most of the marketing/coaching emails tend to reside and put them into their own block within the email. In addition to that, the new forum topics will now include new and updated topics, which should provide for a better read of activity when you open the email. 

On 8/29/2018 at 5:28 PM, ScottSpec said:

It seems to me that the forums have been much quieter. I'm not sure if that is correct or not, but I know when I get that email every week, and I see the topic list, I get turned off pretty quickly. Then I stop looking at them all together when they come.

Scott

Hopefully the topic email will be a little better categorized moving forward. It does get quieter in the summer every year and it really depends on member participation, which includes starting new topics and replying to existing ones to keep content fresh and going. We keep it very open here and at any time if anyone has any suggestions for forum category layout or additional features, please start a topic in our member feedback forum which I will move this topic to. 😁

On 8/31/2018 at 7:59 PM, Alex said:

Hopefully the topic email will be a little better categorized moving forward. It does get quieter in the summer every year and it really depends on member participation, which includes starting new topics and replying to existing ones to keep content fresh and going. We keep it very open here and at any time if anyone has any suggestions for forum category layout or additional features, please start a topic in our member feedback forum which I will move this topic to. 😁

Alex,

I really like the improvements to the topic email.

Scott

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I would "chime-in" on this. I'm not vain enough to believe that the comments are just about my posts - however I have been posting regularly. I've taken a different direction in my business. Not taking on new clients at this time (thank you to each of my current clients) and decided to start a YouTube channel -CarCountHackers - to share the tips, tricks and strategies I use with my private clients. It's also an outlet to share questions I get from email subscribers and repair shop owners who contact me for help. 

If I've offended anyone - I'm sorry for the inconvenience. But just for the record - the videos are NOT about "Watch This - Buy That". In fact, the channel doesn't sell anything. Just free information about what I've been doing with shop owners over the last 20+ years - and you can get it all free - or not. It's up to you. 

Matthew Lee
"The Car Count Fixer"
Get More Car Count, Income & Profits at Car Count Hackers on YouTube

13 hours ago, JustTheBest said:

Thought I would "chime-in" on this. I'm not vain enough to believe that the comments are just about my posts - however I have been posting regularly. I've taken a different direction in my business. Not taking on new clients at this time (thank you to each of my current clients) and decided to start a YouTube channel -CarCountHackers - to share the tips, tricks and strategies I use with my private clients. It's also an outlet to share questions I get from email subscribers and repair shop owners who contact me for help. 

If I've offended anyone - I'm sorry for the inconvenience. But just for the record - the videos are NOT about "Watch This - Buy That". In fact, the channel doesn't sell anything. Just free information about what I've been doing with shop owners over the last 20+ years - and you can get it all free - or not. It's up to you. 

Matthew Lee
"The Car Count Fixer"
Get More Car Count, Income & Profits at Car Count Hackers on YouTube

Another shameless pitch.....lol

• Like 1