Quantcast

FROGFINDER

Waiting Room Waiters?

A waiting room should a be a peaceful place to have people wait a few minutes for a courtesy ride to the place of their choice. I would think that if you ran a report on average invoice and profit amount on "waiters" it would be clear. When i was working and dropped off my car for repairs i did not want to hang around the waiting room, i wanted to go make a few Grand to pay for the bill! I have advised many customers that were worried about the cost of needed repairs and wanted to wait for them to accept our courtesy ride so that could make some money to cover the bill. Time is Money!

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By sparkerauto
      Hello Everyone! So I'm looking for some input. I have the opportunity to rent out the adjacent building to my shop. My shop is located in a strip plaza but in the back so I have no street visibility (only a main sign and I put out a sidewalk sign to let people know we are back there). The business that is connected to my shop just went out. The landlord is now renting the building out. I'm debating on if I should rent it out and have the street visibility and be able to change that into my waiting room and front desk area. I'm thinking the street visibility alone will attract more customers and pay for the rent and what not. I currently have a 4 bay shop tucked in the back with no waiting area. He is looking for around $1,500 for rent a month. Please let me know what you guys think. Thanks!
    • By tyrguy
      I've detailed on posts before about declining hours billed over the years. Brief summary: From 1979 to 2008 every year was a record year. From the late 80s thru 2008 we always billed around 97% of our 3 techs hours [avg 6150/6350 hrs/yr]. Didn't matter recessions or whatever we were never more than 50 hrs off those numbers. The recession hit and our numbers started to decline around 3% a year. We did have a few up years, but also a year or 2 when the hours took a 8-10% hit. From 2008, our last "good year" to 2015 we saw our hours billed drop 25% to 4610/6348 or 73% productivity. So for 8 years I've been looking at the numbers from every angle and kept coming back to my theory that it was all due to the recession and slow recovery, consumer confidence, etc. But I think I have been ignoring the elephant in the room. For the first 25 years or so in business, I always had the biggest shop in our little town. Started with 3 bays in 79 and grew it to 12 bays in my old shop. In 2006 we sold the land the old shop was on and built a new shop again with 12 bays. Prior to 2006 our town of about 15k population had by my estimate 40-45 bays in town so I accounted for 25% of that. Then there was a change that I have been ignoring when analyzing my business. Prior to that time we had no car dealers in town. We now have 5. Hyundai, Kia, Nissan, Honda and VW all within a 1/2 mile of my shop. So in our little town we have gone from 40-45 bays to easily double that. Being "old school" I just never considered them my competition. I now think I was in error. So what to do? Last year my very first employee retired to run a non automotive home business. Wished him well, told him to keep his key in case he ever needs to use the shop. I mean after 37 years he's like a brother. So now I'm trying to see if we can make it with the remaining 2 full service techs, 2 tire techs, 2 service advisers and myself. Because I pay my techs minimums no matter how slow we get, I've had a big savings in wages. I've been able to cut expenses in other places as well. Plus we upped out labor rate from $95 to $100 per hour. We're still making money, not as much as before but it just feels better without techs standing around. Maybe I'm getting lazy in my old age. Anyway, I just think we have over capacity in our town at this point that will hopefully get better as town grows, which it is. Thoughts?.
    • By Joe Marconi
      One thing I often repeat over and over again is this; "Back in the 1980's, there were three things that made repair shops successful; General Motors, Ford and Chrysler."  Those cars broke down a lot, and there was an endless supply of cars that required a lot of profitable work.
      Well, those days are gone.  Cars today are build better, last longer (thankfully), and have ever-increasing service intervals. Consumers are also conditioned to think that their cars don't need maintenance.  It wasn't that long ago when your customers were coming to you 4 to 5 times a year for service. Now, you are lucky to see those customer twice a year for their routine LOF service. 
      The point here?  You must take a proactive approach and promote preventive maintenance.  You must inform your customers of their next service and any other future service recommendation or repair. You must do all you can to get your customer to return to you. Which means providing the absolute best customer service with quality repairs.
      Even the term "repair shop" needs to redefined.
      Be proactive and you'll be successful!

• By mspecperformance
      Anyone have any good suggestions on furniture for the waiting area? Stuff like Service counters, waiting furniture, refreshment table? I like the seamless look with units that have space for a fridge and integrated waste receptacle. I've looked at what NAPA Auto Care has as well as Bosch. I am a bit iffy on that stuff and its ridiculous expensive for laminate furniture.

Anyone else have any ideas?
    • By sparkerauto
      So I have an opportunity to rent out more space at my shop that will be located right on the main road (my shop is currently set back behind the main building). It's is a pretty large area which will be used as my waiting area and main entrance since I do not have one now. My question is how is everyone's waiting area set up ? Is it strictly lounge type area ? I'm thinking of maybe using part of the space and a little show area to sell products maybe wheels, hid kits. Basically aftermarket accessories. Just trying to get an idea of how people are utilizing there waiting areas and extra space in there shops. Thanks !
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors