Quantcast

FROGFINDER

Waiting Room Waiters?

A waiting room should a be a peaceful place to have people wait a few minutes for a courtesy ride to the place of their choice. I would think that if you ran a report on average invoice and profit amount on "waiters" it would be clear. When i was working and dropped off my car for repairs i did not want to hang around the waiting room, i wanted to go make a few Grand to pay for the bill! I have advised many customers that were worried about the cost of needed repairs and wanted to wait for them to accept our courtesy ride so that could make some money to cover the bill. Time is Money!

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• [Brand Choice] Automotive Oil Filters

Oil filters are one of those important parts categories that every shop usually stocks, to turn bays faster and offer an oil change service as a way to capture needed maintenance and repairs.  What is your preferred brand of oil filters and why? Are you stocking oil filters in your shop? How do you keep your inventory stocked and updated if you do? Who is your oil filter supplier and why? Are you using a standard or premium oil filter on average? If you service trucks, are you using Heavy Duty filters; Baldwin, Fleetguard, Luberfiner, etc.?

By Alex, in Automotive Products & Services

• 1 reply
    • [Brand Choice] Automotive Batteries

Automotive Batteries What is your preferred brand of automotive batteries and why? Who is the supplier of that brand to you? What are the battery series that are available in that brand, and what are the warranties? Who manufactures your choice of battery?

By Alex, in Automotive Products & Services

• 19 replies
    • Overtime without high production will hurt your shop's profit

Not every shop pays flat rat; for many reasons.  So, many techs are on hourly pay.  There is nothing wrong with hourly pay, as long as you have an incentive program in place that promotes high production levels to avoid complacency.  For hourly paid employees I strongly urge you to have a pay plan that rewards production levels on a sliding scale.   As a business coach, I have seen too many times shops with low production levels and high tech payroll due to overtime pay. Overtime pay must not be used to get the jobs done with no regard to labor production.  Limit overtime and create a strategy that increases production and rewards techs with production bonuses.  By the way, there are many ways to incentivize techs, it's not all about money.  Overtime without high levels of production will eat into profits and if not controlled, with kill your business.  If your shop is an hourly paid shop, what incentives do you have in place to maintain production levels? 

By Joe Marconi, in Accounting, Profitability, & Payroll

• 0 replies
    • A healthy repair shop business starts with a healthy mind and the right people

The day to day operations of running a business can take its toll on anyone.  To be a business owner means to address problem after problem and finding the right solutions. Sometimes the decisions we make will be the right ones, sometimes not.  If we are not careful, this emotional roller coaster we call being in business, can make us focus too much on the negative, and not the positive things that happen in our lives. With nearly 4 decades as a business owner, I can say with certainty that one of the basic building blocks of being successful in business is having the right team of people around you and getting yourself in the right frame of mind.  You need to find and hire great people. But once you have them, you need to do all you can to take care of them, train them and make them successful in order for you to be successful. Is it easy? No. But it is essential. Most important; you need to treat each day as if it were a gift from the heavens and base your entire perspective from a position of strength and remaining positive.  I know it’s not easy, but I can tell you, it works.  

By Joe Marconi, in Joe’s Business Tips For Shop Owners

• 12 replies
    • Courtesy Inspection Technician Pay

Those shops doing courtesy inspections how much time are you paying your tech's to do the inspection? I've read on some forums anywhere from .30-.50. I am attaching a link to one of our courtesy inspections to give you an idea of what we check during our inspection process. Also, what do you pay the technicians for oil change & rotations each? http://2un.me/1ibws

By spencersauto, in General Automotive Discussion

• 13 replies
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors