Quantcast

I Stayed At The Inn - Top ten reasons for knowing more than I do about auto repair

Gonzo

Stayed at the Inn

I’m sure we’ve all watched the commercial where some guy manages to do something, or fix something that the rest of the crowd couldn’t figure out, and when asked, “How did ya know how to do that?” His answer, “I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.” Apparently I’ve been doing it the hard way all these years. I guess instead of going to all the classes and taking all the certification tests, all I had to do was go down to a motel for the night. I could have mastered this trade in a week!

Not that I think I’m some sort of expert in my field, because there are much smarter guys and gals in the biz than myself, but I kinda-sorta know what I’m doing, even though I didn’t stay at the hotel last night. Although, on occasion, I get a few wanna-be pros from Motel 6 stopping by the shop for a car repair that might not have left the light on long enough. Most of the time their car is already in the middle of some major surgery. Like they removed the instrument cluster and it’s laying on the passenger seat completely torn apart, hoses under the hood left unhooked, radiator cap is missing, miscellaneous parts are left in the trunk for me to find, or just about any other conceivable way of dismembering a car you can imagine. But, as always… they know more about the repair process than I do presumably.

I could ask the usual rhetorical question, “If ya know so much, why not fix it yourself?” But, I’d probably get an answer that would be even more baffling than the original question. Anyway, I know I shouldn’t climb on my own soap box (but I will) and proudly display all my certificates and achievements in the lobby and front office (but I do) but I believe that’s important for the consumer to know; to know they are dealing with a professional and not some lug-nut-spinning-parts jockey. It took me years of training classes, conventions, and after hours studying to reach the level of expertise that I have now and to maintain my ASE Masters level. And, yes, a good night’s sleep does help to clear the mind and get you ready for the next day, but I don’t think I’ve learned a thing about today’s cars while I was counting sheep.

However, not all these overnight geniuses mentioned they stayed in a hotel. They’ve got other ways of conjuring up wisdom and experience from other sources. Rather than disclaim their source of knowledge I wrote them down as a way of keeping track of where all this knowledge comes from. I’m always curious where this wisdom is obtained, just in case I need to gather up some new knowledge and can’t make it to the hotel in time. Here’s my list of the top ten knowledge acquiring ventures I’ve been told. And yes, these really did happen at the service counter. I’m not clever enough or spent enough time at the hotel to make this stuff up. Some, I hear all the time, some just once in a while, but some of these absurd higher learning escapades are so far out that you might only hear them once in a life time. Here goes:

10- My Uncle/brother/father was a mechanic. (Keep in mind… the “was” part.)

9- I watched it on TV last week (I’m sure you did, and I’m sure it was entertaining. There’s a test later… are ya ready?)

8- The Internet (Of course, the Internet… if it’s on the Internet it’s gotta be true.)

7- I used to own the same model car about 10 years ago and I could fix anything on it. These newer ones are exactly the same. That’s why they can keep the same name on the trunk. (Yes that’s right your 66 Chevy pickup is no different than your 2008 Chevy pickup… the manufacturers haven’t changed a thing.)

6- I worked my way up from the wash bay to the lube and tire rack. I know all there is to know about mechanic stuff. (Let’s see, tools on hand, hmmm, lug wrench, yep, oil filter wrench, got it… oil plug socket, yep got that too… and a funnel, mighty important. Ok that makes it official… you’re a mechanic.)

5- I left all my tools out in the rain and they’re all rusty now. Otherwise I’d fix it myself. So, it’s not like I need your help at all. (Understandably, every good mechanic has left a tool or two out in the weather. But I don’t think that’s stopping him from fixing a car!)

4- I can fix anything on a car. I just need you to tell me what’s wrong with it. (So, you can aye? What happens if you already know what’s wrong with it? Is that when you ask me to fix it? Reverse psychology there.)

3- I’m not paying you to tell me what’s wrong with it, and I don’t care how long it took! I know how much it should cost! I’ve done that repair myself before! So, what was wrong with it again? (Self-explanatory, you don’t know… nuff said.)

2- My brother is a doctor and we have a lot of cars. (Now how does that make you an expert in car repair?)

1- I grew up next to a dealership, so I know everything about cars from watching the mechanics through the cracks in the fence. (I know cows, yea cows… ‘cause I grew up next to the barn… does that count too?)

Auto repair, in my opinion, has more than its fair share of screw ups that turn wrenches on a daily basis, and there’s no doubt a lot of the mistrust over car repair is brought on after someone has had some dealings with one of them. It’s true in any professional service trade oriented to the general public that there are a few bad apples in the business. Maybe that’s why some of these home grown DIY’rs feel it’s necessary to overshadow a professional mechanic’s abilities by belittling them, insulting them, or outright telling them they don’t know what they’re doing.

Then again, the true DIY’r who can handle those odd repairs aren’t the type that end up at a repair shop. If and when those type do end up in need of a pro, they know their limitations and respect the services provided by the professional mechanic. It’s the ones who seem to always have more than one excuse as to why they know more than the professional that gets me. Maybe they are only trying to save face in front their friends after screwing up their buddy’s personal ride.

One of these days cars will become so sophisticated that a lot of these home DIY nut busters won’t be able to do anything to their personal rides at all. By then, a lot of those halfwit repair shops that shouldn’t be fixing cars today will more than likely be a thing of the past, too. But, I doubt that will keep that certain group of know-it-alls from coming up with a new excuse as to why they know more than the trained/seasoned mechanic does. Maybe what they should do is swing by the Inn and spend a calm evening in a nice comfy bed. Maybe in the morning they’ll have a better idea of what to tell their mechanic. At least then they could say, “I stayed at the Holiday Inn last night.” It probably won’t help the mechanic out in the service bay, but it sure wouldn’t hurt.

View full article

• Like 2

• Similar Topics

• By carmcapriotto
      Show Notes:
      Maryann Croce's "Life Happens" Download HERE Connect with the show:
      Aftermarket Radio Network
      Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partner:

Dorman gives people greater freedom to fix vehicles by constantly developing new repair solutions that put owners and technicians first. By always innovating, Dorman has led the way in growing the aftermarket. Here you will see a few examples of a Dorman OE Fix. An OE FIX is a Dorman repair solution you can’t get from the original equipment manufacturer. It means they found a situation where they believe the OEM wasn’t giving repair professionals what they wanted, so we fixed it. Everything Dorman does is centered around providing customer value, both in the quality of products, and the creativity of solutions. Our engineers and designers go out of their way to save repair technicians time and save vehicle owners money. Want to really go under the hood? Take the Dorman Virtual Tour at www.DormanProducts.com/Tour

Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By carmcapriotto
      Guest host Keith Perkins, L1 Automotive Diagnostics and Programming, Tulsa, OK Keith also operates the L1 Automotive Training company that offers advanced level automotive training on-site and online at www.L1Training.com. See or hear a tour of his three Mobile Diag Vans Recently made a move to brick and mortar specialty shop with no advertising for clients None of his technicians need to buy any tools Keith holds the title of ASE Master Certified L1 Technician, holding ASE certifications: A1-A9, L1, L2, L3, X1, P2, and various other industry certifications He also serves as a Subject Matter Expert for ASE. Listen to Keith’s previous episode HERE Connect with the show:
      Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partner:

Dorman gives people greater freedom to fix vehicles by constantly developing new repair solutions that put owners and technicians first. By always innovating, Dorman has led the way in growing the aftermarket. Here you will see a few examples of a Dorman OE Fix. An OE FIX is a Dorman repair solution you can’t get from the original equipment manufacturer. It means they found a situation where they believe the OEM wasn’t giving repair professionals what they wanted, so we fixed it. Everything Dorman does is centered around providing customer value, both in the quality of products, and the creativity of solutions. Our engineers and designers go out of their way to save repair technicians time and save vehicle owners money. Want to really go under the hood? Take the Dorman Virtual Tour at www.DormanProducts.com/Tour

• By ASOG Podcast
      What's the biggest mistake owners are making when marketing their shops?
    • By carmcapriotto
      Kevin Syed, Owner of Integrity 1st Automotive, grew up with an entrepreneurial father and was always encouraged to lead. Having successfully earned a Bachelor’s degree in Business Management from University at Buffalo, Kevin went on to become a franchisee with Getty Petroleum / British Petroleum service centers for the better part of a decade in New York City. After gaining the knowledge, experience, and funding required to produce his own operation, Kevin went on to operate his own independent shops in New York. Kevin sought to find a new place to call home with his wife and twin girls; he longed for the community values and environment of the South and so his family made the decision to move to Texas. Integrity 1st Automotive was then born in Texas and Kevin has scaled his business to multiple locations across the Dallas Fort-Worth Metroplex. When he's not working, Kevin enjoys local car rallies (e.g. Lamborghini Club Dallas), traveling, and hunting.
      Ramy Nazim, Director of Integrity 1st Automotive, graduated from the University of Toronto in 2014 with a HBSc. in Biology & Psychology. While he continues to have an affinity for academia and the life sciences; he found his technical prowess to be of vast usage in the working world. Post-graduation, he went on to work with a local software startup specializing in real estate marketing tools. The startup experience allowed Ramy to engage with virtually every facet and department of the business. Insofar as the automotive repair industry, Ramy works to leverage technological solutions to help increase operational efficiency, develop automations, create event-driven communication flows and more! When he's not working, Ramy enjoys traveling with his wife, cooking with the help of Youtube tutorials, and reading about science and history.
      Key Talking Points
      Put it in writing- a discussion on the importance of standard operating procedures, processes, training paradigms in order to scale the business to multi-locations. Put the system into place.  Is it auditable? Having things written is one thing - but how are you tracking compliance? Every process should have a check and balance behind it- quality assurance on whether it is being done. Area Manager (or yourself as an owner) with a preset checklist or leverage technology (software management system). Prioritizing- If you are ambitious on growth, then you've likely got a laundry list of goals and tasks; some are working ON the business and some are working IN the business. Develop a methodology of prioritization- tie your task to a specific KIP, goal or ROI. Eliminates redundancy. Be open to change.   Incentivized Extraordinary Performance- empower and develop your employees. Incentives that promote entrepreneurial thinking work the best. Profit-sharing- share part of profits with managers/lead technicians and share P & L. Being transparent.  Keep your eyes on Customer Churn- We are in the people's business, one of the most important KPI's to focus on whether one shop or multi shops is to know how many customers are churning from your business annually. (SAS- software as a service). Track weekly/monthly/quarterly/annually- how much of car count is return vs net new customers. Touchpoints for every life cycle of a customer’s vehicle. Remarket and reengage with customers. Churn is inevitable but control it as much as possible.  Automation- there are only so many hours in the day; with compartmentalized thinking and technology, you can get more out of each day by offloading redundant tasks to technology without one size fits all solutions.  The Customer Experience- we know that it's all about the little things when it comes to curating a memorable experience. That being said, how do you make sure the little things are being followed when you're not there? Your model should work for ANYONE- If you build scalable models, then you can confidently scale to prospective franchisees and feel confident that your customers will Connect with the show:
      Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partners:
      Since 1989 TRACS has been the industry’s leading shop management system. And in the last 30 years it’s gotten better and better. Today TRACS Enterprise offers even more of the features AutoCare Center owners want—things like a powerful interactive scheduling calendar, faster and streamlined work flow, plus streamlined parts ordering and purchasing options. And there’s more—Punch-out to Mitchell ProDemand, mobile VIN capture, and multi-shop capabilities. That means you can count on TRACS Enterprise to help drive your success today and well into the future. Learn more about TRACS Enterprise and the hundreds of other benefits the NAPA family has to offer. Talk with your servicing NAPA store or visit www.NAPAAutoCare.com.

• By bantar
      Started a new thread based on a comment from:  Are you paying your employees what they deserve?
      Thanks to CTC who warned that we need to be Compliant in our pay plans, I called the Dallas Office of the Dept of Labor Wage and Hour Division to check on my compliance.   Very friendly and knowledgeable.  Didn't even ask who I was.  I encourage you to call.  However, what she said was super-complicated if it's the first time that you've heard it.  It still hurt my head on today's call.   The goal of this message is to explain OT calculations and then to explain the flat rate pay as related to OT.   I'm only presenting this to give you background before you call W&H yourself.    I'm not an expert on W&H.
      This focuses on non-salaried employees who are eligible for OT payments.  
      Background:
      In general, OT pay is more complicated if you have variable pay plans (bonuses or extra payments).   Regular hourly folks working OT get 1.5 times their "regular rate" (which is the same as their hourly rate).    If they don't get any extra pay, this is easily computed.  
      When variable pay is involved, we need to know how much the employee is really making this week.   That is, we must calculate their "Regular Rate" because the variable pay (bonuses) increases their normal hourly rate.   When we pay OT, we must pay 1.5 times their "Regular Rate".    This is a protection for the employees to ensure that they are being fairly paid even though their pay rate varies week to week.
      Regular Rate Computation:
      Figure out the employee's total compensation for this week (we are ignoring OT for this calculation).  Divide this by the total hours worked this week. This is their regular rate for THIS week. For example:   Joe makes $10/hr and earned $100 bonus this week while working 50 hours.   His total pay for the week is $10 * 50 hours + $100 bonus = $500 + $100 = $600.   His Regular Rate is $600/50 hours = $12/hr.   When you pay him OT, you will be paying him 10 hours * 12 Regular Rate/hr * 1.5 = $180.   This is added to his base rate of 40 hours * $10/hr, so this week, he makes $400 + 180 = $580 + $100 bonus = $680 total pay.
      There is a shortcut to computing regular rate that I find faster to compute.   Just take the variable pay (bonus) and divide it by the hours worked.   $100 bonus/50 hours = $2/hr   Joe's Regular Rate is $10+$2=$12/hr.   His overtime rate is $12 * 1.5 = $18 (instead of $15). 
      Using ADP (and other payroll systems):
      For employees that are getting OT with variable pay, I create a separate pay line in my payroll.   Line 1 is 40 hours at their normal hourly rate.  Line 2 is OT hours at Regular rate.   The payroll software multiplies the regular rate * 1.5 to calculate their OT pay.
      Regular Pay Line:  40 Hours @ $10/hr OT Pay Line: 10 Hours @ $12/hr Flat Rate:
      Per W&H, Flat Rate still requires OT pay if more than 40 hours are worked.  Therefore, we are required to compute a "Regular Rate" to pay OT.    This means we need time clock records.   W&H suggested a few different ways of computing it for Flat Rate employees (one was a weighted average, but I didn't dig into this).   Also, minimum wage must be adhered to as well.
      I threw a few examples of pay (flag bonuses, incentives, make-up hours, etc) at W&H and in the end, it didn't matter what the mix of payments were.   All payments are combined to compute a Regular Rate.  This can be bonuses for flagged hours or bonuses for sales or it could be 20 hours of flag and 20 hours of guaranteed pay (to equal 40 hours).   What mattered was how many hours did the non-salaried worker work?   What is their regular rate?   Pay OT using the Regular Rate.

• Our Sponsors