Quantcast

IPC

Hello! New Shop In NJ

Hello,

I decided to find a forum of shop owners to learn and share information with and came across this one. There seems to be a lot of information here along with a friendly atmosphere.

I am opeing up a motorcycle shop in Mahwah, NJ hopefully before spring. I will be doing repairs along with performance upgrades to almost any extent on sportbikes, dirtbike, ATVs, and some other street bikes. Mostly going after the performance and race markets, but doing general repairs to fill in the rest of the time.

I have a few questions. I searched around a bit on this site with not so much luck (though I found and read a lot of other great information) so if any of these topics have already been discussed, please direct me to the right thread.

As of right now I will be the only one working in my shop... officially. I may have a few family members come and give a hand from time to time, but nothing that would be recorded on paper in any way. What sort of insurances should I be considering? General small business inurance, liabilty inurance for my products and services, etc. What do i insure, and what do I roll the dice on or not worry about too much?

Also what kind of disclaimers is everyone using on their invoices? Is the a collectiong of examples with different option in them around somewhere? Also for racing and high performace customers, what liabilities should I be fairly waived of for their work? When I worked in an engine machine shop they had a strict policy of no warranty on anyting race related. But that is pretty much my business so I can't deny it on everything I do.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• Shop Owners: You don’t have to answer every question for your employees

As shop owners, we sometimes feel that we need to answer every question and handle every situation. While you need to be proficient as a business owner, you also need your employees to think for themselves.  Empower your people to solve problem.  Ask them for their opinions and don’t be too quick to jump in on every situation.  The more you jump in and solve their problems, the more they will rely on you. This is not to say you don’t have their back; but a team functions best when everyone takes ownership of their position and takes responsibility to take care of problems. Will employees make mistakes? Yes.  But there isn’t a shop owner on this planet that has a perfect record at making decisions.  We all make mistakes. As a shop owner; teach, mentor and coach.  Include your employees in on decisions that relate to their job position.  When employees feel you trust them, they will begin to solve their own problems. This will set you free to work on the things that will bring you greater success.

By Joe Marconi, in Joe’s Business Tips For Shop Owners

• 2 replies
    • Auto shop owner new forum topics

Just got my e-mail on the latest forum topics. Out of 20 topics 7 are marketing ads from the same person. Also under popular forum topics of 5, 3 are ads also by same person of which no discussion took place. So how are these popular. I get a ton of advertising e-mail. Just didn't expect this from ASO. I do look into some ASO sponsor ads. But this is not necessary.

By slowtech, in Member Feedback

• 14 replies
    • Shop Owners; Take time to recharge this weekend

There's a time to work, and there's a time to relax a bit. We are in the middle of a three- day weekend; Labor Day. The very name Labor Day should make us all think about how hard we work all year long.  We need balance in our lives. We need time with friends and family.  So, take a break and recharge your batteries this holiday weekend. It will do you a world of good.  Trust me, the business will be there after the weekend is over.  Happy Labor Day Weekend!  

• 0 replies
    • How are automotive shop owners handling vacation season?

In my 38 year business career, it has always been an issue with summer vacations.  We want our employees to enjoy life, but the summer is our busiest time. What are shop owners doing to maintain production, while balancing vacation time?  

By Joe Marconi, in Human Resources, Payroll and Training

• 1 reply
    • Shop Owners: Can you ever unplug?

Last week I was at a resort with family and the grandkids.  We had a great time and it was a much-needed vacaction.  For one day, I did it....I left my cell phone in the hotel room safe.  It was not easy, and we all know how addicted we all are to our phones and laptops. The day passed and guess what?  Nothing urgent happened.  And if it did, I need to put trust in the people I employ that all will be taken care of. So, the question is: Can shop owners truly ever unplug from the outside world?       

• 3 replies
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors