Quantcast

Advantages of Being the Older Mechanic - - hmmm, are there any?

Advantages of Being an Older Mechanic

Age, the longer you’re around the older you’ll get. Doesn’t seem fair sometimes. As they say, “Youth is wasted on the young." The older cars get, the more things seem to go wrong with them, and the same goes for the aging mechanic. It’s the eyes that don’t focus as well when you’re staring at a wiring diagram, or the old back has a few twinges after lifting the crankshaft into place; then it’s the arthritis that works its devious little magic when you’re in a tight spot flipping an open end wrench over and over, on and on go the aliments.

Now, some customers prefer to deal with the older mechanic at the service desk. Maybe it’s because they represent a fatherly figure to them, or maybe they feel the older guy might have a lot more experience with their sort of problem. Whatever the reason, as an old guy in the shop myself, it’s kind of nice to chat about a car problem with a customer rather than trying to get up off of a creeper with bad knees.

When computers first came out they were a little intimidating to the older guy, but it didn’t take long before he got the hang of it. That is until one of those young socket rockets comes along, reaches over the old tech’s shoulder, flips a few keys and finds the information for him a whole lot faster than the way he was doing it. (I still don’t know all those short cut keys.) But it’s still fun to watch the “X” generation try to figure out a stalling or rough running problem without a laptop.

They’d freak out if they saw how we use to find air conditioning leaks with a bottle of propane and an open flame, or using a growler to check a generator. Yea, things were different back then. Nothing like the electronic world we live in today. In those days, mechanics used the procedures that were available, even if they seemed a bit crude. We didn’t have all these fancy, schmassy sensors to deal with. A piece of heater hose held to ones ear was all you needed to find a loose rocker.

One thing is for sure, an older tech has been around the block a few times. Just the other day a 79 Bronco came in and the owner wanted to get the A/C working again. Just a bad expansion valve was all. This thing was jacked a mile high with huge knobby tires. The younger guys didn’t want any part of it (no computer), so … I got handed the keys. Now for a guy my age to climb up there, it did take a bit of an effort. I ain’t no spring chicken, you know. First off I had to stand on an upside down milk crate just to get one foot on the bumper. Then climb up and do the old superman spread over the fender so I could reach all the way back to the firewall where the expansion valve was, and then… not to make it even more difficult, I had to get my head in just the right position so I could look through my bifocals. I’ve got the wrenches, the flashlight, and a couple of shop rags… and me “planking" this old truck trying to get this #$@% expansion valve off. So where’s the advantage in all of this? I don’t know…but there must be one somewhere.

Getting down was no picnic either. Those bifocals work two ways you know. If you’re looking down through your glasses that concrete floor looks a bit fuzzy and appears to be a lot closer than it really is. Of course as ya slide back down from this behemoth your belt has to get snagged on something and now you’re flopping around like a fish out of water trying to get unstuck. At least I made it back to terra-firma without having to call over one of the younger guys to guide me back onto the milk crate.

Really, there are advantages of being older; it’s just that some things aren’t so noticeable. Like, veteran mechanics probably have all the tools and then some. And, if a car comes in with a floor dimmer switch they know what it is for. In fact most of them will know what the second floor switch was for too. Yea, I know what you’re thinking; most of that stuff is museum pieces these days. Oh don’t worry, all you young wrenches out there, your turn to call today’s cars museum pieces is just a few decades away.

These days it takes some training in trade schools to learn this job, and you certainly will learn even more once you’re on the job. But, by far, you learn even more after several years of turning wrenches. From dealing with the technical changes and procedures, customers, the guy in the next bay, your boss, and of course the aches and pains of it all.

It’s the old horse shoe story that comes to mind. As one old timer explained it to me, when the farrier is shoeing a horse and he shows you the freshly heated horse shoe he has just fitted, don’t be a fool and pick it up. Like the old timer said to me, “I know better now, it don’t take me long to look at a horse shoe in a different light anymore!”

That’s experience talking. Experience is something that only comes with time. I can’t tell you when you’ll have it, but believe me, you’ll know when you’ve got it. Then again, if you’re the type of person who has to pick up that horse shoe a second time… well, you’re either a bit brain dead, or you need a touch more experience.

Most mechanics who have been around for 30 or 40 years (or more) have seen the changes from 6 volts to 12, generators to alternators, points and condensers, electronic ignition, and then onto today’s systems of sensors controlling it all. And, yes, the older mechanic has probably worked on every bit of them. Not to say that’s an advantage, but it sure is a lot of experience to say the least. But, as time passes along the old body isn’t what it used to be, and while those younger guys can thrash apart cars a whole lot faster, there’s still one advantage the older mechanic has: retirement isn’t that far away. No more learning all this new stuff, no more trying figure out the latest software, and no more of all this back breaking work.

History has proven that change is inevitable, and the old mechanic can now pat the younger techs on the back and tell them, “Have at it fellas. You young guns can take over from here.” Us old wrenches can take advantage of all the senior citizen discounts now, and a few spare parts from the doctor too! Let’s see, a couple of new knees, maybe a hip, oh and some laser surgery for the old eyes. Getting older does have a few advantages after all.

View full article

I'd like to think there are Frank, but honestly... I can't think of any right now. Must be that short term memory thing, another part of getting older. LOL :)

• Have you checked out Joe's Latest Blog?

5 comments
      I recently spoke with a friend of mine who owns a large general repair shop in the Midwest. His father founded the business in 1975. He was telling me that although he’s busy, he’s also very frustrated. When I probed him more about his frustrations, he said that it’s hard to find qualified technicians. My friend employs four technicians and is looking to hire two more. I then asked him, “How long does a technician last working for you.” He looked puzzled and replied, “I never really thought about that, but I can tell that except for one tech, most technicians don’t last working for me longer than a few years.”
      Judging from personal experience as a shop owner and from what I know about the auto repair industry, I can tell you that other than a few exceptions, the turnover rate for technicians in our industry is too high. This makes me think, do we have a technician shortage or a retention problem? Have we done the best we can over the decades to provide great pay plans, benefits packages, great work environments, and the right culture to ensure that the techs we have stay with us?
      Finding and hiring qualified automotive technicians is not a new phenomenon. This problem has been around for as long as I can remember. While we do need to attract people to our industry and provide the necessary training and mentorship, we also need to focus on retention. Having a revolving door and needing to hire techs every few years or so costs your company money. Big money! And that revolving door may be a sign of an even bigger issue: poor leadership, and poor employee management skills.
      Here’s one more thing to consider, for the most part, technicians don’t leave one job to start a new career, they leave one shop as a technician to become a technician at another shop. The reasons why they leave can be debated, but there is one fact that we cannot deny, people don’t quit the company they work for, they usually leave because of the boss or manager they work for.
      Put yourselves in the shoes of your employees. Do you have a workplace that communicates, “We appreciate you and want you to stay!”
  • Similar Topics

• By carmcapriotto
      In this episode, Kim reviews the book “Unreasonable Hospitality” and talks about ways you can become so good at customer service and making your customers feel special, that the world would consider it unreasonable. This has quickly become one of Kim’s favorite books. Listen in to learn why and to get some ideas on how you can provide unreasonable hospitality to your clients in your auto repair shop.
      Thank you to RepairPal for sponsoring The Auto Repair Marketing Podcast. Learn more about RepairPal at https://repairpal.com/shops
      How To Get In Touch
      Group - Auto Repair Marketing Mastermind
      Website - shopmarketingpros.com 
      Facebook - facebook.com/shopmarketingpros 
      Get the Book - shopmarketingpros.com/book
      Instagram - @shopmarketingpros 
      Questions/Ideas - [email protected]
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By carmcapriotto
      The Weekly Blitz is brought to you by our friends over at Shop Marketing Pros. If you want to take your shop to the next level, you need great marketing. Shop Marketing Pros does top-tier marketing for top-tier shops.
      Click here to learn more about Top Tier Marketing by Shop Marketing Pros and schedule a demo:https://shopmarketingpros.com/chris/
      Check out their podcast here: https://autorepairmarketing.captivate.fm/
      If you would like to join their private Facebook group go here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/autorepairmarketingmastermind
      In this podcast episode, Coach Chris Cotton from Auto Fix Auto Shop Coaching highlights the significance of always saying yes to customers in the auto repair industry. He recounts two examples where service advisors faced challenges in agreeing to customer requests. Cotton stresses the importance of customer satisfaction and the delicate balance of agreeing to customer demands without making unrealistic promises.
      Saying Yes to Customers (00:02:36) Importance of prioritizing customer satisfaction and finding ways to say yes instead of no.
      Handling Customer Requests (00:03:45) Addressing an instance where a service advisor struggled to manage customer expectations and deliver on promises.
      Customer Service Skills (00:05:54) Emphasizing the need to take care of the customer, manage expectations, and avoid overpromising while saying yes.
      Saying Yes and Managing Expectations (00:10:11) Discussing the importance of saying yes to customers while managing expectations and not overpromising.
      1. Importance of not saying no to customers in the auto repair business
      2. Instances of a service advisor struggling to say yes to customers
      3. Emphasizing the need to prioritize customer satisfaction
      4.Managing expectations while saying yes to customers
      5.Not overpromising to customers
      Quotes:
      Coach Chris Cotton', '00:06:54', "How would you like it if you were leaving town in 24 hours and somebody said, 'Oh, you can't take your car because we can't finish it up'? It's just not the right place to be in."
      'Coach Chris Cotton', '00:09:14', "The customer doesn't care about any of that; the customer just wants to know if you can help them or not."
      'Coach Chris Cotton', '00:12:16', "If they're in front of you unexpectedly, say yes, smile, and be like, 'Oh, I'm so glad, Mrs. Johnson, that you're here today. I haven't seen you in a while. Absolutely, we'll take care of your crisis for you.'"

Connect with Chris:

[email protected]
      Phone: 940.400.1008
      www.autoshopcoaching.com
      Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/
      AutoFixAutoShopCoachingYoutube: https://bit.ly/3ClX0ae

#autofixautoshopcoaching #autofixbeautofixing #autoshopprofits #autoshopprofit #autoshopprofitsfirst #autoshopleadership #autoshopmanagement #autorepairshopcoaching #autorepairshopconsulting #autorepairshoptraining #autorepairshop #autorepair #serviceadvisor #serviceadvisorefficiency #autorepairshopmarketing #theweeklyblitz #autofix #shopmarketingpros #autofixautoshopcoachingbook
    • By carmcapriotto
      Thanks to our Partner, NAPA Autotech napaautotech.com
      Matt Fanslow and Tanner Brandt discuss the nuances of automotive training and education. They emphasize the importance of selecting relevant classes that address specific areas of struggle within the industry, such as diagnosing parasitic battery drains. They highlight the complexities of troubleshooting and the limitations of current diagnostic tools, underscoring the need for better vehicle monitoring. The conversation also touches on the importance of networking and knowledge sharing, as well as the value of stepping out of one's comfort zone to explore new areas of learning at training events.
      Importance of selecting classes and getting the most out of training events in the automotive industry Choosing classes based on areas of struggle and seeking advice from experienced instructors Different phases of attending training events Value of soft skills and communication courses in the automotive industry Impact of quality training programs offered by NAPA Importance of ongoing training to keep up with evolving vehicle technology Importance of specialized training, particularly in the area of electric vehicles (EVs) Value of specialty classes focused on specific vehicle brands Importance of networking and staying engaged during training events Challenges faced in diagnosing automotive issues, particularly related to parasitic battery drains  
      Thanks to our Partner, NAPA Autotech napaautotech.com

Email Matt: [email protected]
      Diagnosing the Aftermarket A - Z YouTube Channel HERE
      Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com/
    • By carmcapriotto
      The Weekly Blitz is brought to you by our friends over at Shop Marketing Pros. If you want to take your shop to the next level, you need great marketing. Shop Marketing Pros does top-tier marketing for top-tier shops.
      Click here to learn more about Top Tier Marketing by Shop Marketing Pros and schedule a demo:https://shopmarketingpros.com/chris/
      Check out their podcast here: https://autorepairmarketing.captivate.fm/
      If you would like to join their private Facebook group go here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/autorepairmarketingmastermind
      In this podcast episode, Coach Chris Cotton from Auto Fix Auto Shop Coaching introduces his upcoming book designed to help auto repair shop owners enhance their businesses. The book, tentatively titled "The Auto Fix Auto Shop Coaching Owner's Guide to Everything You Didn't Know About Running a Successful Auto Repair Shop," covers topics like goal setting, financial management, staffing, and adapting to future technologies. Cotton invites shop owners to contribute suggestions and request a free copy. The episode, sponsored by Shop Marketing Pros, aims to motivate the bottom 50% of shop owners to grow and succeed in their industry.
      Chapter 1: What Do You Want as a Shop Owner? (00:02:13) Discusses the different goals and aspirations of shop owners and the importance of defining personal success.
      Chapter 2: Define Your Goals (00:03:08) Highlights the process of setting smart goals, understanding business variables, and keeping an eye on market trends.
      Chapter 3: Barriers to Coaching (00:04:13) Explores the common barriers that prevent shop owners from seeking coaching and offers solutions.
      Chapter 4: Essentials of Being a Successful Auto Repair Shop (00:05:20) Covers the foundational aspects of running a successful auto repair shop, including meeting customer needs and financial stability.
      Chapter 5: The Importance of a Good Chart of Accounts (00:06:18) Emphasizes the significance of a well-maintained chart of accounts for financial management and streamlining.
      Chapter 6: The Vital Role of the Income Statement (00:07:26) Focuses on the income statement and its importance in financial review and standardization.
      Chapter 7: Determining the Right Car Count for Success (00:08:30) Addresses the misconception of needing more cars for sales goals and the importance of optimizing existing processes.
      Chapter 8: The Heartbeat of Auto Repair Businesses (00:09:33) Explores profit centers, margins, and the road to financial health in auto repair businesses.
      Chapter 9: Guest Chapter on Car Count and Marketing (00:10:38) Features insights from a guest expert on car count, marketing, and branding for auto repair shops.
      Chapter 10: Profit Margins and Parts Matrix (00:11:43) Delves into profit margins, parts matrixes, and strategies for maximizing profits in auto repair.
      Chapter 11: Cash Flow (00:12:32) Discusses the unique challenges of cash flow management in auto repair businesses and offers solutions for improving profitability.

Connect with Chris:
      [email protected]
      Phone: 940.400.1008
      www.autoshopcoaching.com
      Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/
      AutoFixAutoShopCoachingYoutube: https://bit.ly/3ClX0ae

#autofixautoshopcoaching #autofixbeautofixing #autoshopprofits #autoshopprofit #autoshopprofitsfirst #autoshopleadership #autoshopmanagement #autorepairshopcoaching #autorepairshopconsulting #autorepairshoptraining #autorepairshop #autorepair #serviceadvisor #serviceadvisorefficiency #autorepairshopmarketing #theweeklyblitz #autofix #shopmarketingpros #autofixautoshopcoachingbook
    • By nptrb

Premium Member Content 

This content is hidden to guests, one of the benefits of a paid membership. Please login or register to view this content.

• Our Sponsors