Quantcast

Flash Sale + Social Proof

Unfair competition, it's just not fair!

You invest lots o money on tolls,equipment and training.

You create an excellent environment for the customer,work hard every day to have an excellent customer service and then comes the statement:

The guy down the street can do it for less!

I have 25 shops around me and at least 20 of them it's unfair competition. I'm always redoing their work, but people still goes back because of the price. They don't do any mark up on parts and only charge 35 dollars in labor to replace brake pads on any vehicle.

I did the math many times and it does not add up. How can they survive?

stressful!!!!!

I face it every day. Have complained to the state, county and local govt. Unlicensed shops working under the radar.

I'm sure I'll come off as being rude, but seriously? Complained to the state, county, and local govt? Did you try your parents too? I guess that attitude comes with living in a state that 'licenses' repair shops. <_<

Much like XRAC said, just outlast them. If you are fixing other shop's screw ups, you should be earning customers at that point. I don't have any customers that like getting something fixed twice, so most come to me to get it fixed right the first time. With that reputation, you can charge what you want (within reason). I would make sure to tell every customer 'This is what you get for price shopping'. Being nice and cutting them a break doesn't educate them at all on choosing a quality repair center over the 'shade tree mechanic' down the road.

Build value, build value, build value in your service and sales presentation. Sell the benefits of your service. Charge a fair price for your level of service and if they won't let you make a profit be glad they went somewhere else.

Your webpage and shop look good. I can tell you are doing a lot of things right. If you are having trouble closing sales, my advise would be customer service / sales training. Customers focus on price because that's all they know to ask. You have to point out the advantages for them doing business with you. If it was easy everybody would do it. We have to work hard at it every day. Also Marketing to the right demographic helps. I understand the frustration. I wish some shops would close and eventually they will.

when I first opened I had the same problem. Eventually I stopped caring what the mobile guys and backyard scam artists were doing and just focused on my own shop. The screw-ups the cheap guys made I was able to fix and that slowly is building my customer base. And the customers who just want a deal and spend no money, well let the cheap guys have them. Let them be someone elses headache. Just keep your head and spirits up :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Have you checked out Joe's Latest Blog?

• By Joe Marconi in Joe's Blog
      There are many things to consider when creating a marketing plan. Among them are establishing a budget, what forms of media should be used, and whether traditional advertising, such as TV, radio, and print, is still relevant.  And of course, how much should be allocated to social media and digital advertising?
      All the above are essentials to any marketing plan. However, the first step is ensuring that you have a healthy workplace and that your employees understand your company’s culture and the overall mission and vision. 
      We all know that happy employees create happy customers. No form of advertising can overcome a toxic workplace with unhappy employees. If your employees are not creating an amazing customer experience, your marketing plan will not work.
      Advertising and marketing may bring in customers, but the people in your company creating an amazing customer experience will be the most important component of your marketing plan.  It’s the customer experience that sells work and gives the customer a reason to return. 
      Creating an amazing employee experience, which creates an amazing customer experience, is also the most cost-effective part of your marketing plan. In fact, it cost next to nothing.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
  • Similar Topics

• By carmcapriotto
      Live from AAPEX 2022 with Jaron Kleber, National Sales Manager, Repair Shop of Tomorrow, a NAPA AutoCare endorsed program. Jaron discusses the parallels between the health and automotive industry and educating your customers to be proactive, not reactive to car repairs. Jaron Kleber, National Sales Manager, Repair Shop of Tomorrow Key Talking Points
      There are so many parallels between the healthcare industry and the automotive industry Switching from reactive to proactive maintenance   Processes that your team and you have in place and you can't execute those processes unless you have a solid digital vehicle inspection Customer experience- are you explaining your shop’s policy and procedure? The 300% rule on how we present the DVI. That's the policy Your responsibility is to that customer to let them know what's going on with their vehicle Repair Shop of Tomorrow, coaches, consultants, trainers and marketing. A tailored approach to each shop and help implement other NAPA programs that would be beneficial for them to grow. Like so many consumers, Jaron purchased his wife's leased car- how many customers are coming to your independent repair shop for the first time? How do you make them a client, not a customer?
      Connect with the Podcast: Aftermarket Radio Network Subscribe on YouTube Visit us on the Web Follow on Facebook Become an Insider Buy me a coffee Important Books Check out today's partner: Learn more about NAPA AutoCare and the benefits of being part of the NAPA family by visiting www.NAPAAutoCare.com

Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By ASOG Podcast
      Dealing with BAD Customer Service: How to Handle It When You Expand Your Business
    • By carmcapriotto
      How many jobs do your service advisors have? Who covers when you are short-handed? How many technicians per advisor do you have? Are you using technology and systems to a service advisor’s advantage? How clear are your objectives to everyone in the shop? What are some different pay plan options? 
      Dave Schedin, CompuTrek Automotive Management Systems. Dave’s previous episodes HERE Bryan Kelley, Valley Automotive Repair & Electric, Covington, WA. Bryan’s previous episodes HERE. Jeff Grassman, Carsmart Auto Service, Sumner, WA. Jeff's previous episodes HERE Dave Kusa, owner of AutoTrend Diagnostics in Campbell, CA. Listen to Dave’s other episodes HERE. Key Talking Points
      Service advisor ranked 5th or 6th most stressful job- how many jobs do your service advisors have? Who covers when you are short-handed? How many techs per advisor? Are you using technology and systems to a service advisor’s advantage? How clear are your objectives to everyone in the shop? Building a model with everyone involved and everyone wins- 360-degree view with transparency with the numbers of the business What is your culture? Hiding numbers? It is about the money, but it’s not about the money- the incentive is to motivate and not ‘just enough to get by,’ and it has to be customizable based on their level. The plan has to have a direction. Ask a mentor, coach, peer Incentivizing the behavior- it has to be attainable Future for advisors? Self-check in? Will they be needed? Other compensations, no weekends? Hours of operation M-F? Lunch break schedule? Vacation time? Medical/dental cost paid by the employer?  If you have a family culture, what about the kids or spouse? College fund? Spouse bonus?
      Connect with the Podcast Aftermarket Radio Network Subscribe on YouTube Visit us on the Web Follow on Facebook Become an Insider Buy me a coffee Important Books Check out today's partners: Shop-Ware: More Time. More Profit. Shop-Ware Shop Management getshopware.com       Delphi Technologies: Keeping current on the latest vehicle systems and how to repair them is a must for today’s technicians. DelphiAftermarket.com
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By Joe Marconi
      Super Saturday Sessions Flyer PROOF 6.PDF

• Advertise your services or products to passers-by attracting them towards your business
    • By Eric Roberts
      Hi guys just  a short one this! As garage owners present or past how do or did you cope with the "can you just" brigade. This is the customer male or female (or otherwise) who just asks if "you could pop a light bulb in for me please". I no it could be a slow day, then this would not be problem, but does it annoy you. We had one in the other Saturday. A guy pulled in and wanted us to check  knocking on the rear end. The car was road tested and on the ramp for two hours on a busy Saturday morning.
      Eventually we found a broken coil spring on the front of the car! I am sure there are much worse stories than this but it really gets me mad sometimes?

• Our Sponsors

Grammarly Writing Support

The #1 Writing Tool

Grammarly Writing Support