Quantcast

Hello everyone,

As some of you are aware I'm currently running my shop as a side business. I still have my full time job, but I'm considering going full time with my shop to try and grow it. Well my shop currently is located on an old Hwy meaning it use to be the main hwy but now they've built a bigger hwy. Car count averages 160 per hr where I'm at and there are a lot of neighborhoods around here. My question is, there is a shop available on the main hwy with a lot more car count but the overhead will increase about 50%. Do you guys think I should stay here while I do the transition to full time and try to grow my shop with a cheaper over head or will the increase exposure make it worth it to move. I know it is a difficult questions I'm just trying to get your professional opinions.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• By ncsvoboda7
      So we are looking at moving our shop to a really nice shop here in town that has some amenities that we are very excited about but I got to talking with the landlord about the past few shops that had been in there and he told me that he didn't think this location could sustain a $70-80 labor rate. He thought that was probably why the last shop didn't stay busy enough to keep the doors open.

I have always thought that while location can be a great plus that it really truly depends on how you package things and how well you do with marketing and advertising. Ive always seen that good customers will travel a little bit just to come to a shop they like.

What do you all think? How much value should I put in what the landlord was saying? How much does location truly have to do with a shops success? How far will customers travel to come to a good quality shop they love?
    • By Jay Huh
      Long story short, been in business about 2 years and started mobile. Current location for about a year, just opened up a second location about 3 weeks ago- HUGE step for me.
      In my area, auto shop locations are REALLY REALLY RARE. There'll be months before a single shop will pop up for lease.
      Well.. I was looking for auto equipment on craigslist and stumbled upon a listing of a shop moving and selling all his lifts. Found the location on loopnet- 5 bays, previous business extremely successful, great location, great price too....
      1st location hit record sales this past week, 2nd new location held its own (divided by week, came out on top after expenses). I got both stores running self sufficiently. I am pretty much maxed out and I hate taking out loans but I have a line of credit available. 
      Am I crazy to want to do this? 
    • By Jay Huh
      Hey guys, my shop is becoming pretty successful and it runs pretty well without me being there (most of the time), should run flawlessly if I hire another advisor for when I'm not there.

Owner of a building of a 5 bay garage 1995 sq/ft contacted me to see if I want to rent it out for $2400/mo. Currently leasing a 3000 sq/ft 6 bay garage about 20 miles away for $4100/mo. I have a reliable employee that recently quit bc of the distance he was driving and the new location is only 15min away so I have people to work lined up and this one is 10min from my house oppesed to 45 min for my current shop. My current shop has a 5 yr lease so not planning on giving anything up.

I have a good brand image and a strong reputation. Google alone 82 reviews 4.9 rating.

Profitability wise I just got to the point of being able to pay myself salary. Is it too risky? Headache worth it? Thoughts?
    • By PAPShop
      Looks like we have an opportunity to open a second shop in a town about 30 miles away. Any advice, tips, etc?

• By nge
      Was wondering if anyone has ever done a pre market analysis before moving shops? How to do you estimate customer retention (from 1 shop to the other) and estimate the new customers you will gain at the new location?

We have been at our current location for 30+ years but in the last several years we have been on a month to month lease. Currently we have a large customer base and are within a few miles of a local university and we are within a few blocks of a wealthier neighborhood so customers can drop their car off and walk home.

We don't want to voluntarily relocate but we are also slow to put money into the outside of the building since we have no guarantee to be here next month. I have been keeping my eyes open for shops within the area for the last several years just to be able to have ideas and unfortunately there are few to no available shops but one of our customers came to me last week asking me to rent a 6 bay shop from her (we currently have 3 bays). The shop is road front on a busy main street but entrance and exit could be a little tricky in rush hour traffic. Otherwise the location offers great visibility.

The price she mentioned was a about the same or a little less than what we are paying now and she even offered to do 6 months at a reduced rate just to get us in. My #1 hesitation is moving (about 10 min away) and losing our customer base and having to rebuild. I really would like to ride out our current lease as long as possible because of the great location however; I would also like to be able to be ahead of the bullet incase the landlord comes calling. The owner of the other building also mentioned that she is going to be putting it on the market for lease next month so I don't want to lose that as an option if and incase the current location is sold. I even thought about renting and staffing the second location to establish a customer base and if our current shop is lost, merging into the other location but I would still like to be able to estimate the potential at the new location.

Any thoughts, experiences or ideas?
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors