Quantcast
Sign in to follow this  
nmikmik

How to prevent exodus and hopefully hire someone too

Hi,

I am in a process of purchasing a “functioning” shop where two mechanics (one A and one C) working as a father and son team. I would love to change some things at the shop right away, but know it could be a recipe for disaster. So I am thinking to work with them for a couple of month until they feel more comfortable with me, then start giving them job descriptions/expectations etc.

My nearest goal is to grow the business, so hiring new tech(s) is a must. How do I make the two original techs comfortable with the idea? I suspect they are pretty set in their old ways of not having anyone there. Any suggestions?

Oh, and if you happen to have a set of questions that you usually ask prospective tech employees/candidates, please PM me.

Thanks!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Topics

• By Joe Marconi
      You spend a lot of time and money finding an hiring an employee. Whether it be a technician, service advisor or office worker.  However, the real work to ensure that the new employee is up and running begins when you hire that person.  Don't make the mistake of thinking that a new-hire can be put to work without an orientation period. No matter how experienced someone may be, take the time to slowly acclimate that person to your shop, your other employees and your systems and procedures. The time you take in the beginning will help to create a long-lasting employee relationship. 
    • By Alex
      Free webinar for all members hosted by @Ron Ipach from Captain Car Count! 
      As you already know, finding good, qualified technicians isn’t as easy as it was in years past. Gone are the days of simply placing a few ads online or in the newspaper help-wanted section. 
      When you combine the fact that more shops than ever are in the hunt for qualified applicants, with the ever-shrinking pool of technicians to draw from, it’s no wonder so many shop owners are frustrated with their search. 
      Attracting good technicians today requires a radically different approach, and on this highly informative online training event, Ron Ipach, president of Repair Shop Coach, will walk you through the same strategies that his clients are using to attract lots of highly qualified to their shops on a consistent basis.
      CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
      Time slots vary and are held weekly:
      Please reach out to @Ron Ipach for additional information.
    • By litljenarey
      We are leasing a 5 bay shop in a beautiful area of a Florida retirement mecca. We fall under all sorts of local noise, color, sign, and architectural restrictions. Truthfully, the place is quite attractive. The bays doors face the main street and the office/waiting room faces a side street with public parking.
      We haven't opened yet but we already have customers stopping by to chat and ask questions every time the bays are open.
      The previous shop was one man show who did it all in the first bay. He kept the "front" door locked.
      Now it's on me to re-train the customers that they can't enter the shop, stand under the lifts, chat with the tech, smoke cigars, use the techs bathroom, or park use the street parking as long term boat/rv/limo storage.
      The insurance underwriter is wanting yellow plastic safety chains and red "do not enter" type signs. I don't really like that look.

So what does everyone else do to prevent or discourage customers from just walking into your bays?

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

• By Joe Marconi
      A customer arrived to my shop with leaking brake lines, bald tires and rotted front spring seats. Due to the age of the vehicle and many other issues, we recommended that he junk the car. He came down to the shop and said he wanted to take the car. We refused to release the car: Which technically we cannot do. We explained to the customer that the car we unsafe and that while I cannot legally prevent him from taking his car; I have a moral obligation to stop him.

The customer sent his son down to the shop to “strong arm” me. I would not give in. I showed the son the problems and told him, “This car is not safe. The brake lines to the front and rear brakes are rotted and leaking, the tires are bald and the front strut spring seats are rotted. After a lengthy debate he agreed. The car was junked and the owner was very upset with me.

Two days later, this same customer arrives with a used car, just purchased, and needed a New York State inspection. Lesson: Sometimes we have a moral obligation to do the right thing.

Your thoughts?

• By Joe Marconi
      I few months back, I was on the hunt for an A level tech. One of the tool reps informed me that a great tech at another shop is not happy where he is. He went on to tell me that this guys runs the shop and can do anything! He wasn't happy because of all the hours and that the pay did not math what he was doing. So I gave him a call and set up an interview.

The moment I met this tech I thought he was amazing: well spoken, clean cut, great credentials and had the energy of Tiger. He told during the interview that he did three T belts today.

I hired him.

Turns out this guy is the COMPLETE opposite of what I thought. He is slow, no ambition, moody, unfriendly and not the great tech he claimed to be.

So, I named him Brad Pitt. Why? What an actor, he fooled me.

And I ask you, Ever Hire Brad Pitt?

• AutoShopOwner Sponsors