Quantcast

Wheel Torque Procedures

Hello All

Can you tell me what your procedures of verifying proper wheel torque in your shop?

What do you require your techs to do to prevent forgetting to torque them once the car hits the ground?

Also where do you get the torque specs from?

I am looking for either a book that just has wheel torque or some type of wall chart so that techs can access this information quickly. I have a chart that came with the torque sticks but it is outdated and looking it up in Mitchell takes too much time.

Thanks

Gary

We use a torque wrench on very wheel that comes off. I have a wall poster that we got from one of the parts suppliers that has 98% of all the torque specs. I am not in front of it to tell you who it was printed by but its handing in plain view for all my guys to read. When I was working at the dealership I would chalk mark each tire at the valve stem when I torqued the wheel. Almost 20 yrs later, I have only ever left two loose and they were both not marked.

We follow this procedure:

1. Thread the nuts / bolts a few turns by hand.
  2. Run them down with a 55 ft lb impact torque stick.
  3. Lower the vehicle to just barely touching.
  4. Find the torque specs printed on the Work Order (a lot of shop software will do this automatically, otherwise the service advisers can add it manually).
  5. Finish torquing with a calibrated torque wrench.
  6. Chalk.
  7. Sign the blank in the PO where it says that the wheels were torqued.

This is the procedure that all Firestone shops in the world follow. I liked it when I saw it.

I never had any problems until we started torquing them. I guess it is easy to get sidetracked and forget without a procedure in place. I had 2 come back loose over the years and now one where the wheel came off. Procedure will be in place now. Thanks for your responses.