Quantcast
    • You can post now and register later. Already registered? sign in now to post with your account.
    • ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Once you submit your question, a new topic will be created for you in our forums. Our moderators may move your topic to a more suitable forum category if one exists. Members will see your topic and be able to respond to your question.

• This will not be shown to other users.
Joe Marconi

Beware Of Second Opinions

We got a call the other day from someone who asked us if we would give her a second opinion. The car was at another shop and she wanted to know if the diagnosis on the steering rack was correct. She actually wanted us the give a price and make the diagnosis on the phone based on the notes from the shops work order. We have been down this road before and we are VERY cautious on how we handle this.

I dont know how you feel, but when someone doesnt trust another shops diagnosis, it makes it very awkward for us. We want to get all the facts and try to drill down to find exactly why the customer does not trust the shop.

In this case, after a series of questions from my service advisor, we found that the callers brother-in-law checked the car before bringing it to this shop and he said the pump had failed, not the steering rack. The brother-in-law works in construction.

Seeing where this was going, the service advisor insisted on having us look at the car before any second opinion is given. He also said that he was inclined to believe the other shop, not the brother-in-law. She said she would call us back to make an appointment.

My guess? Shes probalbly calling other shops right now.

We allow visitors to read the first post of each topic. To read this post, please login or register for a membership. 

We allow visitors to read the first post of each topic. To read this post, please login or register for a membership. 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• By Joe Marconi
      Due to COVID-19, many repair shops experienced a severe economic downturn, some with a drop in sales over 50%.  Without a strong cash reserve and/or SBA funding help, many shops would have gone under. 
      My 40 years as a shop owner has taught me to always have a cash reserve.  However, never would I have ever imagined a downturn like the one with COVID-19.
      So, how do we plan for the next financial crisis.  And, it will happen. Perhaps not as bad as the the virus crisis, but it will happen.
      Here are a few things to consider: Have a separate, and hard to access, cash reserve bank account that has least two months of expenses. Also, secure a line of credit for at least one to two months of expenses.  Also, know your numbers, keep payroll in line, and make sure your prices are fair to you too, not just your customers.  Keep in good standing with all your vendors and keep your credit score high! 
      The bottom line here, is truly the bottom line.  To weather the next financial downturn, you need a strong balance sheet and net profit to the bottom line.
      What other strategies are you considering or implementing? 
    • By Joe Marconi
      As part of our debt reduction, I revamped all of our usual marketing and advertising and put those dollars into customer service and social media. For example, we ramped up our shuttle pickup and delivery service, extended our hours of service, made sure we spend a lot of time with each customer and made sure we called as many customers as possible.  We also stepped up our meet and greet process and made sure will followed up with customer after the repair. Lastly, we increased our social media posts and increases ads and boosting. This has made a huge impact on our customer and already starting to pay dividends.
      What changes have you made to your marketing strategy since the Virus Crisis hit?
    • By Alex
      Has the Coronavirus (COVID-19) impacted your auto shop business? If it hasn't yet, it has the potential to do so soon. Please share what you are currently doing, how your business is impacted, what plans you have in place, etc.
      Some things to consider:
      Do you have a plan in place should you or one of your employees become ill? With school, event, and business closures, how will this affect your shop? Are you sending anything to your customers in terms of sharing your plans around keeping your customer and employees healthy and doing your part in your community? Many small and large businesses have been sending email communications to their customers. Are you marketing to your customers in terms of not delaying car repair, should there be a need to temporarily close? Are your parts suppliers sharing their plans, should the pandemic affect supply chains?  Are you stocking up on business and shop necessities? Please share your experience in this topic and stay healthy!
      In the media:
      The coronavirus and its growing tally of sick and dead victims around the world have been roiling financial markets, prompting countless hand-washing reminders and ruining more than a few vacations, and that’s before anyone knows exactly how widespread the effect will be on the automotive industry, including your local repair shop. Source
      “By mid-March, the shortage of supplies will be felt and members are projecting they’ll experience disruption through May or June,” even if operations in China soon get back to normal, said Stacey Miller, senior director of communications at the Auto Care Association, a trade group representing 150,000 auto aftermarket and service businesses. Source

• By Joe Marconi
      I know none of us wants to hear this, but there will be a next crisis of some sort.  I have lived through many downturns in my 40 years in business, the COVID-19 was the worst.  But, out of every crisis comes lessons to be learned. So create your Crisis Plan today. 
      Start by understanding your numbers and knowing your breakeven.  Then add to your breakeven a percentage of profit you want to earn. Equally important is creating a cash reserve in a dedicated bank account that will be used only in a severe emergency.  Set your financial goals and stick to them! 
      Often overlook is your staff. Assemble the best team around you.  This is a crucial part to ensure your future business sucess.
      Lower your debt, get your credit rating up and maintain a good standing with all vendors.  Lastly, talk to your bank about a line of credit that can remain inactive until you need to use it.
      What other key things can we all share to help us through the next crisis?  
    • By Jeremy Glassco
      I get asked this many times.  How would I use a custom mobile app if I had one for my shop?
      Take a moment to think about that.
      Imagine what you could do IF you had a custom mobile app for your vehicle owner customers to download, interact with, and engage with your brand?
      I'm noticing this trend in the food industry, retail industry, and now even in the medical industry.
      What about our auto repair industry niche?
      We're working on version 7.3, and part of what I love to do is get great feedback and build it into our upcoming versions.
      What about you.
      What type of features would an auto repair professional like yourself want in your dream app?
      Please share your ideas here and my hard working team of app gurus will get on it!

• AutoShopOwner Sponsors