Quantcast

Joe Marconi

Beware Of Second Opinions

We got a call the other day from someone who asked us if we would give her a second opinion. The car was at another shop and she wanted to know if the diagnosis on the steering rack was correct. She actually wanted us the give a price and make the diagnosis on the phone based on the notes from the shops work order. We have been down this road before and we are VERY cautious on how we handle this.

I dont know how you feel, but when someone doesnt trust another shops diagnosis, it makes it very awkward for us. We want to get all the facts and try to drill down to find exactly why the customer does not trust the shop.

In this case, after a series of questions from my service advisor, we found that the callers brother-in-law checked the car before bringing it to this shop and he said the pump had failed, not the steering rack. The brother-in-law works in construction.

Seeing where this was going, the service advisor insisted on having us look at the car before any second opinion is given. He also said that he was inclined to believe the other shop, not the brother-in-law. She said she would call us back to make an appointment.

My guess? Shes probalbly calling other shops right now.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• Price Negotiations

After looking at the ICCU shop in Mumbai India, it made me wonder how the Indians deal with Indian negotiation tactics?  I need a good strategy.  My shop is among a large Indian population and it seems that they all want to negotiate pricing.  So much so that if one doesn't try to negotiate, it throws us off our game!   There are few ways to deal with this:  1) Stand firm, 2) Have a pre-made coupon that we can use to move the price a fixed amount, 3) Negotiate, 4) Prepare for the negotiation with inflated pricing, then negotiate and settle on a job price (that is often more than the non-negotiated price).   We do #2 and #4 regularly, with a little #1 and no unprepared negotiations (#3).   When we are negotiating, it's always out on the shop floor so that it can be a private conversation.  They always seem to feel better when they "get a deal"! Any better methods or practices?

By bantar, in General Automotive Discussion

• 13 replies
    • How to price business to family/main employee.

I started a business idea & funded everything to get the business going. It has boomed faster then I expected, i still own & run the shop from the outside but I have 2 family members that have grown the shop from the sales & service from the inside & have been paid a weekly check plus sales bonus checks above any local shop. I have the idea that over the long haul I will recoop my investment & time. I have told them the more we grow the more you will earn pretty simple plan. The company continues to grow every month so I'm not worried about location & all the other things that go into what is my business worth. My question is if I would sell to 1 of them how would I figure a fair price. Mind you I personally have yet to gain a profit from the business myself. I draw a small check but it goes toward bills that it took to get the company started that came out of my own pocket. My quick simple thought was Equipment+Inventory+ (Net profitx3)= Selling price to walk away. I would like to know others I feel I should gain on taking the risk & putting my personal family finaces on hold, but also feel I don't want to cause family issues that I was trying to cheat a family member that would say the business would be nothing without them. Thanks

By BNC173, in Exit Strategy, Retirement, Selling Your Repair Shop

• 5 replies
    • Article: Drain the Swamp - Sometimes you're asked to repair a car...not count the alligators along the way.

Drain the Swamp and Count the Alligators Occasionally the customer has more confidence in you than you do yourself.          The old farmer tells his hired hand, “Get down there and drain that swamp today.”          The hired hand says, “Looks like there’s a heap of alligators in there.”          “Don’t ya never mind about them gators, you just get that swamp drained!” the old farmer explains.          Some days I feel like the hired hand.  I’ll get a job in, and I already have the feeling there is going to be a whole heap of alligators between me and draining that swamp.  This time around it’s a 2004 Nissan 350z with a non-functioning convertible top.  The top was up, but wouldn’t move, other than unlatching the rear (5th bow) window section of the top.          Jim is an old customer who loves his little Z car, and was well aware of a few of the alligators lurking under that deck lid.  How did he know?  Easy, he already tried to get it repaired at a convertible top shop, but they weren’t up to the task of taking on this alligator infested swamp.   Jim’s only comment to me was, “I don’t care how many problems you find, just get it working for me.”           After gathering all the TSB’s, wiring diagrams, procedures, and any other bits of info I ventured out into untested waters to see what I could find out. All the test procedures started out by checking pin-out voltages and resistances at the convertible top ECM, and guess where that is?… under the very same deck lid that isn’t moving… hmm, imagine that.  The trunk is the only option.  You’ve got to crawl in there and find the cables to release the deck lid manually.             You could tell somebody else had already been working on it; the emergency cables were nowhere to be found.  I looked like some sort of contortionist trying to get down into the small little opening at the bottom of the trunk with my bore scope. I had to wiggle it around in there, until I found the very thin wire cables that would release the latches. (They were pushed back under the lining of the storage area, which is not accessible from the trunk area)  Ugh, I haven’t even moved the top yet and I’m already swimming with the gators… what could be next? Once I got the deck lid up I could then remove the interior trim and test the ECM to see what needed to be done.  The output voltage for the 5th bow actuator motor was coming out of the ECM, so unless the wires are broken or disconnected the motor must have failed.  Ok, now crawl out of the storage area and wrestle my way into the passenger compartment, then pull the trim piece on the back window up to expose the 5th bow motor.  The motor brushes were shot.  Lucky for Jim, I just happened to have some brushes that were a perfect fit.  Might as well replace the brushes and see if it will work.          I gave it a try.  With a flip of the control button the 5th bow swung up into perfect upright position, but the top wouldn’t move.  What now!?!?  Back to the ECM and check the stop switches and motor voltages to the top.  This time the alligator is in the ECM. Inside the ECM I found the circuit board lead to the top motors was burnt in two. Ok, fix the circuit board and try again.  The top moved smoothly through its folding process.  As the top closes the 5th bow actuator has to rotate in the opposite direction, so it will sit flush inside the convertible top storage compartment.  As the bow moved to its next position the whole thing quit again.  Oh come on… enough already… more alligators?!?!   Yes, more alligators.  Another trip back to the ECM, this time I found the stop switch for this position wasn’t working.  Somebody had bent the micro switches so far out of whack there was no way most of them were ever going to work.    By now I’ve called Jim at least a dozen times to keep him informed of what I was up against… his only answer, “Keep draining the swamp” Ok, Ok, I got it… I’ll put my waders on and crawl upside down and sideways to get this thing working… but…man these alligators… they’re everywhere.          If you counted the different movements from completely up to fully down there are 12 separate electrical/mechanical operations the top has to go through, AND they all have to work in the correct sequence.  One micro switch out of position and something else begins to move at the wrong time.           I thought I was done with my alligator counting by the time I had the last micro switch in place, but the first time I got the top to fold up and drop into the storage area, it would stop about an inch or so from completely going down.  Seriously? More gators on the prowl?  What did I miss this time?  I went thru all the electrical and mechanical diagrams again… Nothing, every step was correct, but there had to be something missing.  Then I found the answer on one page.  One short reference to some elastic straps that connect the 2nd bow to the 3rd bow.  These straps spring the 2nd bow towards the rear of the car to allow for clearance, so the canvas and all the linkage arms can drop that last inch or so into the storage compartment.           I did some more searching and found the part number 97150-CE01B “strap, elastic, convertible top”. I called the dealer and gave them the number… “Yea, it’s a good number, but we’ve never sold any.”    I’m shocked. From what I found out lots of these convertible tops had the same problem. I figured they would have changed hundreds of these.   It looks like it’s a common alligator in this part of the swamp; seems to me every top should probably have these replaced with the new part number, (know somebody with one?… give them that part number).     “Well, get me a set of them.”    Once the parts came to the shop, installing them was a piece of cake compared to everything else I had to do.  At least now I could see the bottom of this swamp.  No more alligators, no more swamp to drain… I’m done. I found 20 different problems in the top mechanisms and electrical components.  That’s a total of 20 alligators that were lurking in this swamp. What a job!          It took a lot of effort to solve all the problems that I found. It didn’t matter much to Jim how many things needed taken care of, the smile on his face as the 350z top worked like new made all that gator wrestling worthwhile.  I almost gave up on it several times, but Jim insisted that I keep at it… I’m glad I did.           So the next time I take on one of these gator infested jobs, I know exactly what I’m going to do.  Ignore the difficulties, and do just like the old farmer told his hired hand to do.  “Drain the swamp, and don’t pay no mind to all those alligators”. 
      View full article

By Gonzo, in AutoShopOwner Articles

• 5 replies
    • Importance And Price Of Having An Updated Auto Repair Website

All auto repair shop owners should know the importance at this point of having an auto repair website for the shop. This idea was brought to me by a client who sent me an e-mail letting me know that she's going to be updating her website, which is a really good idea - If your website is old or if you don't have one, you really do need to have a newer updated website. I suggest that for everybody. Her question was really to the point, how much should she spend on a website and how important, really, is having a website right now? Let me go ahead and cover the second question first: How important is having a website? It's important. You really do need to have a website. It's not nearly as important as everybody makes it seem, especially with the guys who want to sell you a website, but the reality is, you doneed to have a good website. Most people will go to your website and check you out a little bit before they choose to do business with you. It's similar to people reading reviews. Everybody looks at a review before they decide who they want to do business with. They're going to review you. If you've got good reviews, chances are they're going to check out your website. If you have an auto repair website that's made by a six year old, ten years ago, and it looks like crap - chances are that's going to turn them off. It doesn't take a whole lot of time, money, or effort to have a professional looking website, an updated website. It is important that you do have it because people will check you out online. Ever since I started doing my Car Count Daily videos, I've had a lot of people checking out my website. It just goes to show, when people find you they want to know more about you. That's why it's important you have that good, and updated website. How much should you spend and how much time should you spend doing it? Not a lot because the reality is, most people aren't going to find you by searching for an auto repair shop in their area. There's just too much competition. Unless you really want to jump into that fray and work with search engine optimizers so that you're at the top of the page all the time - most shop owners don't have the time or money to mess with that. You just need to have a good looking website. You can get a cheap website. You can get one made for $500 and that's pretty much all you need to spend. I know it will be easy for most people in the industry to argue with me on this, especially with the people who are providing websites as a service. The reality is, you want a good professional looking website, but the majority of people are never going to find it. The only people who are going to find your website are the ones that are actually typing in, doing a search for you. I wouldn't spend a ton of time on there. The reason why I talk about this in the way that I do is I find that too many of my clients are spending entirely too much time putting together the perfect website. They spend hours, and hours, and hours with their designer and back and forth, back and forth for the perfect website that the majority of people are never going to see anyway, or it will be difficult to get it in front of the right customers, at the right time. Put your time, and effort, and money where people are really going to find you. I'd suggest market more to your current clients than market to people that have never seen you before, which is what your website is essentially doing in the automotive repair industry. You're marketing to people that don't know you and chances are they're never going to find you anyway, even though you have a beautiful, well-made site. The better looking your site is, doesn't get you to the top page of Google or the main search engine. Put your money, and time, and effort in things that really matter - like your marketing. Have a good, professional looking website, but you don't need to spend thousands of dollars and hours putting that together. -- Ron Ipach (a.k.a Captain Car Count) President/Founder of Repair Shop Coach More articles and content like this and originated through Ron Ipach's Car Count Daily campaign Auto Repair Shop Owners, Managers, and Automotive Industry Professionals are invited to join 'Car Count Daily Boosters' LinkedIn group to provide resources and gain insight on boosting car count DAILY and filling up the bays in their shops.  

By Ron Ipach, in Management Software, Web Sites & Internet

• 0 replies
    • Price Objections after the sale (Car done and gone for a week)

I recently did a drivabilty repair on a 1999 Bonneville, a week after all was done the customer called to share his concern about the price of the MAF we replaced. I told him there we many out there and the only ones we have positive results with were the AC Delco new ones. He stated he could buy the same thing for less of course. The sensor cost me over $250 and my margin is 39%. Am I out of line charging this? And how do you handle price objections similar to this?

By BrianJeffrey, in The Customer Experience

• 35 replies
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors