Quantcast

I don't know if this is the proper place to post this, but do any of you who run flat rate shops do backflagging?

For instance, in September I did a tire rotation (pays 0.3) and then the car came back in yesterday for tires, first time back since the tire rotation in 7 months. One of the lug nuts was stripped, according to another tech who was doing the tires. The shop charges and pays 1 hour to replace a stud. So my total hours for the week got deducted by 1. Despite the whole fact that there is no way to even prove I was the last one to actually touch them (and that no one else in the shop has ever had a problem with wheels I put on, just this one tech, three times now). I had to give up an hour of pay to pay the technician who replaced the stud an hour.

Just wondering if any other shops do this...and I guess, is it even legal?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• Tires - are we competitive or low?

Hi,   I am a small auto shop owner;  I am trying to see if we are competitive or low in our prices for mounting, balancing etc.   Mounting 9.99 Balancing 9.99 Disposal 2.00 Vlave stems 2.99 tire rotation 10.00   We are in central New Jersey Thanks  Denise

By Denise Thiel, in Automotive Products & Services

• 4 replies
    • Shop Owner’s need downtime to put things in proper perspective

I am writing this on my last day of vacation in California, spending time with family. It took me a few days to totally relax, but made it a point to not look at emails or call the office. We all need downtime. I know there will be a ton of work to be done when I return, but I also know that the time away has recharged my batteries and I will be more productive. Being away from business and spending time with family puts things into proper perspective. You realize that a lot of the things you stress over, are really not as important as you think. Take time to enjoy life.  We all know how quickly time passes us by.   And remember, no one on their death bed ever said they wished they spent more time at work.

By Joe Marconi, in Joe’s Business Tips For Shop Owners

• 6 replies
    • Any small shops using Auto Repair Cloud?

Very interesting, almost seems to good to be true...
      Would like any feedback positive or negative.
      Is the customer information safe?

By RicoRepair, in Management Software, Web Sites & Internet

• 5 replies
    • Virginia Shops - PLEASE HELP!

The Virginia Automotive Association lobbies the Virginia legislature continuously in defense of our industry. They are the ONLY organization that does so. They are able to do this only through the participation and membership of shops like yours statewide. The group's current initiative is to obtain a long overdue increase in the state inspection fee. Your help is needed on this and other issues that come up before the politicians in Richmond.   VAA has been supporting Virginia independent shops behind the scenes for 50 years. Today they need your support in return. You can sit around and grumble about only getting $15 to do a 30 minute inspection or you can work to change it.   I urge you to visit the Association website and learn more, then go to the membership page and sign up! The membership benefits alone more than cover the membership fee and think about how an inspection fee increase could impact your bottom line.   If you would like to actively participate in this effort, call or e-mail the association's Executive Director, Steve Akridge and volunteer or just join!   Thanks, Mark Anderton

By flacvabeach, in South Auto Repair Shop Management

• 4 replies
    • 5 Critical Marketing Strategies for Shops

See how auto repair shop owners answer this question; “What are the most critical marketing strategies for auto repair shops, whether you’re starting out or have been in business for years?”  Click here to read their answers: http://blog.repairpal-shops.com/marketing/5-critical-marketing-strategies-for-shops/

By rmiller, in Marketing, Advertising, & Promoting

• 0 replies
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors