You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• Consider Joining Family Service Day!

At the Ratchet + Wrench Conference last month, I met Charlie Marcotte, owner of Amerian Pride Auto in Virginia and the founder of Family Service Day. After doing a little research, I joined the organization.   Family Service Day originated in 2009 with a Williamsburg, Virginia based company, American Pride Auto. The idea was simple: offer support to single parent families and deployed military by offering the gifts and talents we have been given, the ability to repair vehicles, for free. There are really no limitations — if you have desire to make an impact in your community, Family Service Day is a great way to get involved.   Getting involved in your community is the best way to make your shop stand out as the business that cares about people. Plus, it will get your staff involved which will boost morale. You can reach out to your vendors for help with parts and also get major businesses in your area to help sponsor the event.   Shop owners, I recommend that you find out more about Family Service Day. Below is a link for more information:   http://www.familyserviceday.org/

By Joe Marconi, in Banner Programs & Franchising

• 18 replies
    • Dealing with family & friends?

This has kind of been a hot topic here lately...how do you guys deal with family and friends? I am trying to run a business, as are the rest of you, how do you deal with people wanting "friend discounts" or family not paying their bills. It seems I try and separate business and personal relationships and in the process end up being the "bad guy". How do you deal with close friends as customers and try to give them a deal but not go out of business by them expecting it every time? Do you just not do business with family or friends?

By PARKSINDUST, in Auto Repair Shop Management Help? Post Here!

• 25 replies
    • How to price business to family/main employee.

I started a business idea & funded everything to get the business going. It has boomed faster then I expected, i still own & run the shop from the outside but I have 2 family members that have grown the shop from the sales & service from the inside & have been paid a weekly check plus sales bonus checks above any local shop. I have the idea that over the long haul I will recoop my investment & time. I have told them the more we grow the more you will earn pretty simple plan. The company continues to grow every month so I'm not worried about location & all the other things that go into what is my business worth. My question is if I would sell to 1 of them how would I figure a fair price. Mind you I personally have yet to gain a profit from the business myself. I draw a small check but it goes toward bills that it took to get the company started that came out of my own pocket. My quick simple thought was Equipment+Inventory+ (Net profitx3)= Selling price to walk away. I would like to know others I feel I should gain on taking the risk & putting my personal family finaces on hold, but also feel I don't want to cause family issues that I was trying to cheat a family member that would say the business would be nothing without them. Thanks

By BNC173, in Exit Strategy, Retirement, Selling Your Repair Shop

• 5 replies
    • How the cheapest oil change in town chased off a bottom feeder

As I've said in another thread, I've been advertising the absolute cheapest Full Synthetic oil change in town. $29.95 for a domestic/asian 5 quart synthetic LOF. No one in town can touch it. In fact, that's a pretty good price for a non synthetic oil change. As a marketing piece, it's working great.

I used to do $19.95 coupon oil changes with great success, but there was always a few people who were in it for the cheap oil and that's all. Way more upside to the program than downside, so I put up with them. We made the change to full synthetic and $29.95 at the first of the year. We had a guy in today who informed us that we had lost his business for good due to us raising the price on the coupon oil change. $29.95 was clearly out of line. He's been a customer here for 4 years, and brings us 2 cars. The ONLY work he's ever done with us is the oil change, in four friggin' years!  I was heartbroken to say the least. 😀

By AndersonAuto, in General Automotive Discussion

• 43 replies
    • What is the best and cheapest way to advertise

What is the best and cheapest way to advertise? I have been finding that I have been spending a lot of money with poor results? Let me know what is working for you?

By KMS, in Marketing, Advertising, & Promoting

• 24 replies
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors