Quantcast

New From NC

Chris_NC

Hi all,

I'm located in Advance, NC and just opened a new shop with a partner specializing in Mercedes Benz and other European makes. Both of us are Master techs with a combined 25 years experience. I have relieved myself of technician duties(hard to do, but after reading the E-Myth I realize it is needed). We have a 1,600 sq. ft air conditioned facilty located a mile from Interstate 40. So far we have been open for three months and are seeing sales gains every month.

I will definately have questions as the business grows and will frequent this forum I'm sure. I've been cruising the forums and have been impressed by some of the businesses you guys have built. I plan on getting there with you, as I didn't open this shop to go broke and give the farm away. The shop was started on a shoestring budget, but I just got tired of non-professional staff being in control of my earnings, so we stepped out on a wing and a prayer. So far, we have been successful with controlling our expenses and are building a nice working capital. We have also had some great shop owners coaching us on budgeting so far from a couple of towns over. I look forward to gaining some more knowledge from you folks and I appreciate any advice good or bad.

Thanks a lot,

Chris Ward

Exact Auto

Edited by [email protected]

Grammarly Writing Support

The #1 Writing Tool

Welcome to AutoShopOwner.com! As cofounder of the site I can promise you that this site will become a valuable resource for you. I am glad to see that read the E Myth. One thing that I know, if you want to suceed, you need to grow your business skills. I struggled for many years, mostly due to the fact that I was a great tech, but a poor business man. Once I began learning the Mechanics of Business, things started to fall into place.

I look forward to future posts and will help in any way I can.

Joe Marconi

Glad to have new faces on board. Owning my own shop was something I always wanted to try, but when I started there was no place to ask those important questions that I needed to ask. ASO is "that" place that I wish I knew about when I started. (OK, it was nearly 30 years ago... LOL) There's a lot of knowledge and experience in dealing with every aspect of owning and operating a repair shop here at ASO.

I'm glad to be a part of it, and I hope you stop by often. Hopefully some of the things some of us old timers will help your adventures into shop ownership.

Looking forward to your comments and posts. Keep us informed. Gonzo

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Topics

• By Joe Marconi
      Before I started my auto repair shop, I worked for a Ford Dealer way back in the late 1970s, and my goal before leaving that dealership was to become an A-rated Master Tech. Their definition, at that time, was that a Tech had to be able to repair everything and anything from bumper to bumper.  Is that definition even possible? Can someone become proficient in every area of automotive service, repair, testing, and diagnosis? 
      About 10 years ago, I hired a technician that grew up in Greece. He was trained in one area of the automotive; Undercar. He was highly skilled in brakes, suspension, steering, wheel alignment, wheel balance, axles any issues or problems related to undercar. He was the best in his class, and I considered him an A-rated Master tech....in that area.
      With technology changing at light speed these days. Is it time for techs to specialize or narrow their scope of skills? 

• By carmcapriotto
      Daniel Griffith, Wally's Precision Auto Care, Las Vegas, NV
      Key Talking Points
      Finding, identifying, and connecting with the ideal customer and naming them (Jennifer and Clara)- what books are they reading? Who are they following on social media? What are their expectations?  Build out each phase of the customer experience process, and look at the highs and lows What parts of the process are easy and what parts are hard? Simplify that down as much as possible If something's not working, change it. It's that simple Hiring new employees- asked his current employees what they like about their job, then used their words on the job descriptions “Culture eats strategies for breakfast.” The average tenure of his current team is over 12 years  
      Connect with the Podcast:
      Aftermarket Radio Network

Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partners:

Set your sights on Las Vegas in 2022. Mark your calendar now … November 1-3, 2022, AAPEX - Now more than ever. And don’t miss the next free AAPEX webinar. Register now at AAPEXSHOW.COM/WEBINAR.

More Time. More Profit. Transform your shop at getshopware.com/carm

Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By Mike DelaCruz
      A topic that I’ve become more and more interested in is the future of our industry, specifically when it comes to Technicians.  I returned from the Spring Leadership Days in Orlando by Auto Care Association with an entirely new outlook, continuously reminding myself:  What can I do to help strengthen our future?
      As I scroll through my Facebook feed, reading through various forums and private group comments, I constantly hear about the Technician shortage and have been over the past few years.
      Does that raise any concern that we’re still talking about this after several years?  
      As I read through the comments in hopes to find solutions, regrettably the majority of the comments are not solutions to the problem.  So, my hope is to find a solution and identify what action I can personally take to help strengthen our future and do my part.  I don’t want to spend anymore time talking about what we already know (tech shortage), and watch our industry reduce to rubble in the years ahead.  Not on my watch… and I know a lot of you are with me!  Days turn into weeks, weeks turn into months and months turn into years.  Let’s not wait!
      As I visit shops around the country, which is my favorite thing to do, I notice a common pattern in the workflow.  Nearly 70% of the shops that I have visited in the past year have empty bays.  For example, a shop in the Bay Area I visited recently had 8 bays, but 4 were empty.  They had 2 Technicians, who both told me they’re extremely busy and this has become the “norm” until they hire more Technicians.  
      Of course, the owners have “tried everything”, but what does that mean?  Have they really tried “everything”, or are they looking for a band-aid to fix the short-term problem and not thinking about a long-term solution and preparing for the future?  
      Shops are busy right now and business is booming for most.  So even though they have the Tech shortage issue on their minds, it’s less of a priority right now because they’re busy!  It reminds me of what one of my favorite industry coaches (and friend) told me one time about “Panic Marketing”. Business slows down, then we expect our marketing company to step up some SEO or Ads and get cars in today, when in reality you have to plan out your marketing 6-months or a year in advance.  
      So what do we do when we have empty bays and a Tech shortage?  Many will simply place an Ad on Indeed, cross their fingers and hope for immediate applicants! That quick-fix strategy will never work.  But what will?  
      There are shops out there with effective strategies that actually work well.  Look at what they’re doing and get some ideas.  Joe Marconi has some awesome tips on hiring great people.  Having worked directly with Joe, I’ve seen the success firsthand.
      But for me personally, I’m more interested in the long-term and getting the “younger generation” interested in our trade.  I think this will help shape our future.  But how do we do this?  Someone once told me, if every shop ran an Apprenticeship program, this would help solve the problem.  
      Is that the silver bullet?  If not, what is?  

• By Transmission Repair

Premium Member Content 

This content is hidden to guests, one of the benefits of a paid membership. Please login or register to view this content.

• Heavy Duty Parts Fleetcross
    • By Joe Marconi
      According to studies from Northwestern, Birdeye, and other companies, people are most influenced by reviews with an average rating of 4.2 to 4.5 stars out of 5 — making this the ideal average star rating for purchase probability.
      Having all 5-star Google reviews can work against you.  People may not trust a company with all 5-star reviews. No business is perfect, and you cannot please everyone. Also, people make mistakes.
      Having negative reviews is not the end of the world, in fact, it may actually help your business. 
      Thoughts? Comments? 

• Our Sponsors

The #1 Writing Tool