Quantcast

Joe Welcomes New members

Joe Marconi

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
I have programs in place that are working good. I was looking to see the details of other programs out there. I have 3 tire and automotive stores with 45 employess and am always looking for betters ways to motivate.

That is very impressive. Are you part of any tire/automotive banner programs? Goodyear, Firestone, ACCC, etc..

• 4 weeks later...
We are similar in our approach. The plan is a bit involved but I will summarize:

- “A” rated techs must book 1 hour of labor for every 1 hour they work (100% productive). They get a set hourly wage and a bonus for booking over 100%

- “B: rated techs, same as above, except they must reach 90% productivity

- Service advisors and managers are paid salary. They must reach sales goals based on break-even and last year sales. They get a percentage of the increase over that goal.

- We also team sales goals where all employees get a bonus if sales reach a second, higher sales goal.

When you folks have instituted changes in pay plans, how have you gone about the process?

Presumably you start by developing a formula based on stimulating yet proven ideas from some outside source

Then you " run the numbers" based on how this new pay plan will affect the people who work for you and your business.

Do you run the old plan and new plan simultaneously for a month let's say so that those stepping up to the plate with increased performance are rewarded and those not stepping up have the safety net of the old plan but are made aware of what the new one will be to their paycheck

Finally dump to old plan and let the chips fall where they may (i.e. risk the loss of 1 or more staff)

.Techs are paid on % of labor

Sales people are pd hrly + % of sale

Mgrs are pd hrly, % store sales + bonus for sales increase over previous yrs sales for the month

Can you disclose publicly or privately those %s? ([email protected])

Is your benefits package generous?

One seminar I attended by ATI recently (Jan 08) contended that loaded techs' GP should be 60% (Labor Income generated by the tech - [tech's wages + vacation pay + other pay + 11.5% of the tech's total wages for payroll taxes + company paid portion of Health Insurance premiums + Workers Comp premiums for that tech {which is based on the tech's wages}] = Gross Profit for this tech/ Labor Income generated by this tech = % Labor GP (Loaded)

After doing this calculation I realized how short we are on the "loaded" Labor GP even though our "unloaded" Labor GP% was above the industry target

I feel I am in a real pickle and definitely looking for some insight and solutions.

To raise our Labor Rate without raising techs' wages would help for sure. We are already at the high end in our area so we stand the risk of losing new clients who balk at the high prices. I know that we retain a lot of clients with superior quality and service but we also lose a lot because our prices are too high - they come once and never return.

To cut benefits can play out as losing or at least disturbing an excellent team and is in reality a pay cut

A more bold move is to cut techs' wages - a great way to success...

I certainly need more car count with an average RO of $ 395 but not sure about the most effective method to attain that, or cut one of my techs loose - problem is that summer will soon be here with tourists and money flowing more freely and more vehicles in the area