Quantcast

Here's a tip I preach at the Elite Fly with the Eagles Marketing course:

Study your competition in your local area, know everything about, learn what they do in your community, learn about their advertising strategy and marketing strategy, find what their strengths are, and find out what they do special for their customers. 

Ok...once that is done, here is what you do: Ready?  Don't do anything that your competition does! 

That's right, in order to stand out, be different. Don't mimic what your completion does. Tell YOUR story and build a marketing and advertising strategy based on what YOU do that the competition does NOT do. 

For example, If you are active in youth sports, then make that your community story. Promote that everywhere.  

Remember, to stand out you need tell the world what makes you different. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Topics

• By carmcapriotto
      Emily Chung is a proud mom of two energetic boys. She owns and operates AutoNiche, a family-friendly auto repair shop in Markham. She is a licensed Automotive Service Technician, and Automotive Writer with various publications. She also teaches in the Automotive Business School of Canada at Georgian College. Emily holds a degree from the University of Waterloo in Psychology and Business, and her previous jobs include Psychometrist and Human Resources Associate.
      She has appeared on various media including Breakfast Television, Cityline, and the Marilyn Denis Show. She is passionate about her work; together with her staff, AutoNiche’s purpose is to bring better communication and client service to the auto repair experience. Check Emily’s previous episodes HERE.
      Key Talking Points
      Communication with your customers-educating them about their vehicleBeing aware of different communication styles  Communicating with babies and puppies-we tailor our communication to them because we have no expectations that they will communicate to our quadrant levelYou can 100% adjust your communication style- are we intentional/aware of it Responsibility of communicator- be temporarily a part of their own quadrant  Coding clients- providing a baseline for approaching a conversationNot set in stone coding Quickly lookup communication style in shop management system for others in the business Your job is to serve the customers the best way possible  Quadrants- are they task oriented or people oriented? Structured or non structured?Controler- structured and task oriented (very direct and to the point) Analyst- structured but more people oriented (want to know details and specs) Promoter- people oriented and structured (energetic, first on bandwagon, get it done energy and fun) Supporter- non structured and people oriented (love harmony and connecting)  Each quadrant gets recharged by different things- tap into it in order to communicate efficiently  True leaderAbility to move in between quadrants and speak effectively for listener Training your staff- have each employee find out what quadrant they’re in, pros and cons of each quadrant, practice giving inspection sheet to different quandrants   Psychometry- run tests and administer surveys, analysis and recommendations  

Download for Carm Capriotto’s Chart on How To Communicate With the Four Basic Types HERE.
      Tony Robins Site Mentioned HERE.
      Link to previous Town Hall Academy episode 041 "The Value of Knowing Your Customers Observable Behaviors (DISC) from November 2017 HERE.

Thanks to Emily Chung for her contribution to the aftermarket’s premier podcast. Link to the ‘BOOKS‘ page, highlighting all books discussed in the podcast library HERE. Leaders are readers. Listen for free on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spreaker, iHeart Radio, Spotify, Podchaser, and many more. Mobile Listening APP’s HERE Find every podcast episode HERE. Every episode is segmented by Series HERE. Key Word Search HERE. Be socially involved and in touch with the show:
      Facebook   Twitter   Linked In   Email
      Join the Ecosystem – Subscribe to the INSIDER NEWSLETTER HERE.
      Buy me a coffee

This episode is brought to you by AAPEX, the Automotive Aftermarket Products Expo. AAPEX represents the $740 billion global automotive aftermarket industry and has everything you need to stay ahead of the curve.  The Virtual AAPEX Experience 2020 is in the record books. Virtual AAPEX lived up to presenting leading-technical and business management training from some of the industry’s best and brightest. Now set your sights on the homecoming in Las Vegas in 2021. Mark your calendar now … November 2-4, 2021, AAPEX // Now more than ever.

This episode is brought to you by Shop-Ware Shop Management. It’s time to run your business at its fullest potential with the industry’s leading technology. Shop-Ware Shop Management will increase your efficiency with lightning-fast workflows, help your staff capture more sales every day, and create very happy customers who promote your business. Shops running Shop-Ware have More Time and generate More Profit—join them! Schedule a free live demonstration and find out how 30 minutes can transform your shop at getshopware.com/carm

Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By carmcapriotto
      Stephane Grabina, BMW Excluservice, Rockville, MD, and Scott Pelava, Lonsdale Auto Works, Lonsdale, MN share the reasons they keep their floors clean. They use a commercial floor scrubber. Learn how and why these two successful shop owners have invested in keeping their shop floors clean.

Comment from Kevin Eckler:
      Great episode and I loved the promoting of a clean shop. We picked up two 5-year-old floor scrubbers and a floor burnisher made by minute man that retails for almost $10000 apiece through an auction where a local school was updating their equipment. We paid less than $300 per machine and the only expense that we had was to install new batteries. They all work absolutely fantastic and it was a great deal. The toughest thing was finding a place to store them but they get used very frequently and the floors are significantly cleaner than the shop feels brighter and the guys have a better attitude because of it.
      Things to consider when purchasing a floor scrubber Is to find out the proper kind of soap to use to clean your floors and what to do with the wastewater when you are done so that you are not polluting when you dispatch the dirty water. Certain soaps break down the oil too fine to be caught in an oil-water separator and oftentimes there is a large amount of sediment that collects into the machine when you are done. Emptying the machine into a smaller holding tank to separate off the settlement and the oil and then dispensing the water from there helps to not unknowingly polluted the local water sources and get yourself in legal trouble. Just something to consider. ~Kevin
      Link to the ‘BOOKS‘ page, highlighting all books discussed in the podcast library HERE. Leaders are readers. Listen for free on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spreaker, iHeart Radio, Spotify, Podchaser, and many more. Mobile Listening APP’s HERE Find every podcast episode HERE. Every episode is segmented by Series HERE. Key Word Search HERE. Be socially involved and in touch with the show:
      Facebook   Twitter   Linked In   Email
      Join the Ecosystem – Subscribe to the INSIDER NEWSLETTER HERE.
      Buy me a coffee
      Are you seeing auto shops in your area get hundreds of 5-star Google reviews and are you feeling left behind because your shop only has a few?
      Hey look, Broadly is your answer to getting more online reviews. With more reviews, your business will rank higher in search results — and that means more customers coming into your shop every day.
      Broadly helps you automatically request reviews so that your customers can promote your business with just one click.
      When you immediately ask for a review after service, when the experience is still fresh in their mind, // you’re more likely to get a 5-star positive review.
      Plus, asking for feedback makes your customer feel valued and more connected to your business. Isn’t that what you want a connected customer? See how Broadly can help grow your auto shop.  Visit www.getbroadly.com/carm to learn more.
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By Joe Marconi
      In the 4 decades as a shop owner, my number one way to have a smooth running shop is to surround yourself with the right people.
      I am interested in hearing from other shop owners. What's your opinion on how to run a smooth running operation? 
    • By mikerisich
      If you want to become a successful independent auto repair shop, it’s essential that you have your sights on not only developing a long-term strategy for expanding your customer base but also pivoting in a way that has sustaining momentum. 
      The key to accomplishing this strategy is not by focusing on gigantic steps, but by achieving a steady stream of small efforts, which means using effective and trusted tools that are specifically designed for you as an auto repair shop owner. Fully utilizing your Google My Business (GMB) page is an efficient way to grow your business and we can tell you why you need to be using it to be competitive. 
      GMB is a free and completely verified online listing service that uses best practices for getting new customers in the door. Are you the type of business owner who uses an online marketing and branding strategy? If not, you should!
      LEARN MORE about how to optimize your GMB page.
    • By bantar
      I received an email today from a Consumer stating "Your price is too high, so hell with you sir!" in response a marketing email inviting him back for his next service.   My initial reaction was uh-oh, quickly followed by "Why am I not hearing more pricing complaints?".   This is quite interesting as we were in a discussion last week, talking about our prices being too low.   We are priced competitively in the market, but with a higher service level, likely, we should be able to earn more with a higher pricing.
      I remember reading somewhere that if you don't have enough complaints of your price is too high, then you are priced too low.    There is a balance in pricing.   On one hand, we have price leaders nearby (, with prices so low that they would go broke quickly if they were honest) that will rob the price shoppers blind when they visit as well as other reputable shops with various pricing levels.   
      I operate a combo lube and repair shop.     My repair labor rate is a premium to the area and we have talented technicians that rate this premium.    I'm at a small premium on the Lube, but believe it should be higher and .    
      After having a chuckle on today's email, I figured it would make for a good conversation.   What is the right Price-is-too-high-complaint rate?  1% 5% 10%?     We might get a 0.5-0.3% abandon rate at the counter over pricing.  I'm sure that there is a silent minority that just doesn't come back, yet makes no noise.

• Similar Tagged Content

• By Joe Marconi
      The common buzz in business is to market to new, potential customers. This is a smart strategy given that every business losses customers each year, and we need to replace those lost customers.
      However, we also need a marketing plan that takes care of our existing customers.  It is cheaper and easier to retain your customers, than to market for new ones.
      What strategies do you employ to retain your existing customers?
    • By CAR_AutoReports
      The best advertising comes in the form of referrals, which are usually free but don’t happen overnight.
      Advertising is perhaps the most confusing part of owning any business, not just an auto repair business. Advertising is, to take your marketing materials and broadcast them in mediums where you anticipate your target audience. The internet has drastically changed advertising as most understand it. We used to think of advertising as the “yellow pages” and newspapers. However today, the yellow pages comes in many different forms these days. All of which promise you the world and few of which will deliver.
      We recommend taking a broad approach to advertising to test what will draw in the most amount of new business to you. When thinking about how to advertise for your business, below are some suggestions to consider. First, establish a yearly/monthly budget, then to execute a plan. The most important part of your plan is to follow through on asking your new customers how they found you, that way you know what advertising is working.
      Our advertising model assumes you have a few things in place, as we also discussed in Part 2: website with contact module, Google Business Page, and a Facebook Business Page.
      We are firm believers that Google’s vast grasp on search is what makes it the king of advertising for now. Most people start their searches on Google, and if you’re not on Google maps and your website hasn’t been crawled by Google… you may not exist. We can argue this until the cows come home, but the truth is they hold a grasp on nearly 80% of all search in the US. Picture 10 people searching for “auto repair in my town”, nearly 8 of them are using Google. It’s much easier and fruitful to advertise to 8 out of 10 than 2 out of 10.
      We are going to assume you have a $250 budget, the starter plan would be something like this:
      Google Business Page – Free Facebook Business Page - Free Adwords Campaign through your Google Business Administration Page – Budget Dependent - $100 per month recommended Local Paper Advertising – Prices Vary – Assuming $100 per month This leaves you with $50 left over. Personally, we recommend a service called Yext, however we are unsure of their price these days as they have gone into a "Demo mode". This means  they likely introduce you to the price after you’ve demo’d their product. For a one location auto repair business, we believe their estimated price may be over $600 a year, which kind of busts the budget a bit. But once you see how much time their platform can save you… you may reconsider.
      Yext does a few great things that stand out:
      They broadcast your correct business information to well over 100 directory systems, including Google and Facebook. They also allow you to make business updates from their platform and broadcast it to all the directories in the network. They manage your inbound reviews from your customers on all those platforms and immediately inform you when you receive them. They allow you to broadcast messages of specials you may want to promote. They link your business website from 100 different directories, instantly giving your business credibility online. The most underrated thing they do… is save you time from trying to log into 100 different directories and fix errors, omissions, and broadcast them all at the push of a button. Can you imagine the time it takes to create 100 different accounts and to regularly check and manage them? We did, so we tested Yext at our founder’s facility and have been a subscriber for well over 5 years now. This article originally published in CAR's News Section

View full article
    • By Joe Marconi
      Got your attention? Good.  That's the power of advertising and marketing.  I know many of you are affected by COVID and experiencing a downturn economically.   Studies have shown that the businesses that maintain advertising during downturns do better with market share and sales when the economy returns to normal. 
      Maintaining your marketing presence is a lot easier and less expensive than playing catch up when things get better. 
      I know the reality of tough times.  Do your best to maintain your advertising during tough times.  You will get back what you invest. 
    • By Joe Marconi
      Most of you probably already know what I am about to say:  The Service Advisor position is the most crucial position in the shop.  I know, I know, what about the mechanical work done by the techs?  Well, that's important too, of course. 
      For the most part, customers spend their hard-earned money and most of time don't really know or see what was done to their car.  Let's face it, the customer can't see the water pump or T-belt. And most of the time, the customer does not feel any difference with the car as they drive out of your parking lot. 
      What the customer does see (or experience) is how she was treated.  And that makes all the difference in the world.
      Plus, great service advisors also motivate the technicians, because great advisors are also great leaders of people. 
      Think about this...Six months from now, your customer will not remember the fuel injection relay or the mass air sensor that was replaced....but she WILL remember how she was treated. 
      And trust me, that OE-quality fuel injection relay install by a certified A-level Master tech using Snap On tools and a Launch Scanner IS NOT the reason WHY your customers return to you....She returns because of the level of service your provide.

• By Joe Marconi
      I know it's not going to be Back to School as usual this year, but there will be increased traffic on the road as more people perform school-related errands.  It's your obligation to your customers and the community to make sure the roads are safe.
      Many people have neglected their cars the past few months, making a lot of opportunity for your shop.  
      Get your Fall/Back to School marketing plan in place today!
      Want to share ideas?  Even Better! 

• Our Sponsors