Quantcast

Virginia Safety Inspection Program

Virginia's Governor in his 2020 budget proposal has included elimination of the state's vehicle safety inspection program.  In addition, a state legislator has introduced a bill doing the same.  I serve on the board of the Virginia Automotive Association, a group of over 200 independent shops who have banded together to lobby in the interests of our industry. VAA has ponied up a a $25000 increase in the lobbying budget to fight the move.   As a shop owner, I have mixed emotions on the subject, but if I were gambling I would bet that the program will go away.   On one hand, it's kind of nice that the state's motorists are forced to bring their cars to a shop once a year, giving us an opportunity to make them life-long customers. Also, it has created a cadre of technicians in the state who have been vetted and background checked by the state police.   On the other hand, there are a litany of negatives inluding  customer resentment, anger when their vehicle fails, uneven management by the state police who oversee the program due to limited resources.  Some shops are "by the book" while others are "sticker mills" who will pass anything.  Unfortunately, VAA and others have been unable to produce hard statistics that show that the program .makes a difference in highway safety.  The big studies I have found blame driver error for the majority of accidents.  What is ironic is that just this year VAA won a long battle to get the inspection fee raised from 16 to 20 dollars.   The legislature convenes in January to enact laws that will take effect in June.

I would like to hear how other Virginia shop owners feel and I would like to hear from other states that have witnessed termination of these programs.

Mark Anderton

• Like 2

Hi Mark,

Texas was under the gun to cancel our inspection program and before doing so, they commissioned UT to perform a study.  Their results are public.  We had on state representative in particular, who was pushing to get rid of it, living in my district, and we voted him out.  Still had more.  There were a total of 5 bills in this legislative session that were killed by our lobbying group.  I can provide a bit of data that might let you see how Texas handled it and provide contact information of our lobbying group.   Hope this helps.

Some background on our Safety inspections.  We are not that tough.  Brakes, tires, lugnuts if visible, wipers, lights, horns, power steering, 1 mirror and exhaust leaks.   No inspection of front windshield unless it is really bad.   No disassembly is allowed, which implies no racking of cars, which means that we won't generally spot and eliminate rust bucket cars.  So, braking test, then visual inspections of all other systems while on the ground.  Tires are 2/32" (we've only heard rumors of snow elsewhere).  Brakes must stop the car and no obvious safety issue noted.  Much discretion allowed to the inspector, so if something is bad, it can be called out and the car blocked from passing.  It could be over-ridden by a regional State Inspector Supervisor if protested, but they tend to do the right thing.   All of this is done for a whopping $7.   If you live in a SMOG county, then $18.50 more to get an ODB readout and a gas cap leak check.  Annual cost here $25.50.

News link:

Study Results:

And you may already know our lobbying group:  

Texas Vehicle Inspection Association
6101 Long Prairie Rd Ste. 744-240
Flower Mound, 75028 

--brian

• Like 3

The practice of ending safety inspections in NJ completely changed the business.  We saw glass guys fold within 30 days.  Because once the state ended safety inspections, they ended as part of the inspection process.  Meaning you no longer failed for a cracked windshield.

I would do a little digging on what exactly that means for you and your state, because for us it was a license to drive anything that could pass emissions.  It was more of a political move, used to trim the DMV budget and move money around.  It is the worst thing any state can do for public safety.  We see some insanely unsafe vehicles driving and there is nothing anyone can do.  As long as the check engine light isn't on, the state doesn't care.

• Like 2

Hi Mark - we’re here in VA, too. We agree with the mixed emotions. We know that inspections do lead to customer interactions and some honest repairs. But we also know that we can get bogged down in nothing but inspections, which is highly unprofitable. I would like to see the process revamped, not removed. Perhaps annual inspections are excessive; I believe there are other states where inspections aren’t required until a vehicle hits a certain age or mileage. In PA, shops have the right to charge whatever they want for an inspection - that would be wonderful! The customer can choose to pay more to work with someone they trust, would help deflect some of those customers pounding at your door at the end of the month. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/2/2020 at 9:49 AM, bantar said:

Hi Mark,

Texas was under the gun to cancel our inspection program and before doing so, they commissioned UT to perform a study.  Their results are public.  We had on state representative in particular, who was pushing to get rid of it, living in my district, and we voted him out.  Still had more.  There were a total of 5 bills in this legislative session that were killed by our lobbying group.  I can provide a bit of data that might let you see how Texas handled it and provide contact information of our lobbying group.   Hope this helps.

Some background on our Safety inspections.  We are not that tough.  Brakes, tires, lugnuts if visible, wipers, lights, horns, power steering, 1 mirror and exhaust leaks.   No inspection of front windshield unless it is really bad.   No disassembly is allowed, which implies no racking of cars, which means that we won't generally spot and eliminate rust bucket cars.  So, braking test, then visual inspections of all other systems while on the ground.  Tires are 2/32" (we've only heard rumors of snow elsewhere).  Brakes must stop the car and no obvious safety issue noted.  Much discretion allowed to the inspector, so if something is bad, it can be called out and the car blocked from passing.  It could be over-ridden by a regional State Inspector Supervisor if protested, but they tend to do the right thing.   All of this is done for a whopping $7.   If you live in a SMOG county, then $18.50 more to get an ODB readout and a gas cap leak check.  Annual cost here $25.50.

News link:

Study Results:

And you may already know our lobbying group:  

Texas Vehicle Inspection Association
6101 Long Prairie Rd Ste. 744-240
Flower Mound, 75028 

--brian

The complete study is available here: https://citainsp.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/safteyInspectFullStudy-TX.pdf

A lot of good stats in there, like the attached:

2020-01-06_14-48-50.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I started out as a technician in Virginia and I was a VSP licensed Safety Inspector for 3 years.  The program has a lot of problems as you mentioned.  Some places will put a sticker on anything.  When you reject a sticker the customer is mad.  When you require a repair for a sticker, that is almost always your best sales tool ever.  I always felt good about making the roads safer.  The price for an inspection is below what it costs to pay most technicians, but that was generally gained back in repairs to pass.

I took issue with the dealership method of inspections.  There was only 1 inspector on a team, who wrote stickers for everyone on the team, for cars he never looked at.  That was a job requirement if you were an inspector, despite it being completely against the law.  I left that job and later found out there are entire dealerships with only 1 or 2 inspectors writing stickers for more than 50 inspections in a day. 

The state police support varies by location.  In Virginia Beach, our station assigned trooper was trying to bust us and shut us down.  In Newport News, our trooper was actually trying to improve vehicle safety and would back us.

Now working as a technician in Tennessee, I see a large loss of sales for legitimate safety related repairs due to there being no safety inspection requirement.  I see many vehicles that would fail the Virginia inspection and I am horrified when I can do nothing about it.  

Whether or not the safety inspection has an impact on safety involves statistics I do not have, but I can say with certainty that while i was a Virginia Safety Inspector I rejected and repaired many unsafe vehicles and felt good about it.   

• Like 2

I'm in Minnesota which has no safety inspection program. We also are in a state that is very generous in their usage of salt for road maintenance. We get a few cars in here every year that NEED to be crushed. I've had to inform owners that their car is NOT safe to drive, only to have them drive away after I refused to do the repairs. My wife and kids are on these roads as well, and I still feel guilt about not having some way to get those cars off the road.  While a big part of me doesn't believe in expanding our government control, I do believe there needs to be some standards.  I also deal with commercial vehicles, and they all have to go through an annual inspection.  A few years ago I had a car in here in the middle of summer that was unsafe to drive. I had to decline working on that vehicle as the left rear lateral link was rusted away from the body. I could push the tire forward and back in the wheel well almost to the point of hitting the wheel well.  The customer claimed it was the only thing he had to drive and until the 1st of the month he couldn't replace it, but he would.  I had no legal recourse to keep him from driving his car. 6 month later in the middle of winter he came into my shop with his arm in a sling because the same car went out of control on icy roads and he rolled it multiple times.  He wanted me to get his other vehicle repaired. A very rusted out truck.  I stood my ground and said absolutely not, and then helped him figure out a way to buy a better car within his means.  He is now a loyal customer in a safe vehicle.  I now don't have to worry that the next time he loses control of his unsafe vehicle my wife and kids could be on the road with him.  There has to be some legal recourse us as shops have to put an unsafe car out of it's misery.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The Virginia legislature ended its 2020 session last night, wisely voting to keep the annual inspection program.  It was touch and go throughout the session with a lot of sentiment for getting rid of the program, a compromise proposal for inspecting every two years  and a final vote to leave the program as-is . The Virginia Automotive Association is entirely responsible for saving this program which benefits every citizen living in and passing through Virginia.  New proposals will come up next year to eliminate inspections and the battle will begin again.

The Virginia Inspection process is summarized here,  The irony of this thing is that last year we fought and won a battle to have the inspection fee raised from $16 to $20 signed off by the same governor who proposed eliminating the program this year.  $20 is pretty meager compensation for a job that takes the tech about 40 minutes per car.  Then the service writer has to compile the digital inspection, prepare an estimate and then spend "quality time" with the vehicle's owner.  No question it brings in vehicles and gives us a chance to make them lifelong customers.  It also makes for a busy first and last week of the month.  We can do them by appointment now which makes it a lot less hectic.

The link is private to you.  Can't click on it.

Wow, $20 for 40 minutes is terrible.  We're $25.50 for 15 minutes.   Add extra 5 minutes for failures and an extra 5 minutes if they are first time visitors (and an extra 20 minutes if I'm flapping my gums).   Our association is working on trying to get a small fee increase, but it'll be tough.

For sure, we meet many people as a result of this program.    Some become customers and some are consumers passing thru.   For as many as we fail, it's refreshingly surprising that most folks are chill about it.   But, it recently garnered me a 1 star review because "we turned his check engine light on" during the inspection.  We declined to start the inspection upon seeing it and he left owing no money, yet were graced with a review.

As a low end service, we somewhat dislike this offering, but from a marketing perspective, it's a gold mine. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Available Subscriptions

• Have you checked out Joe's Latest Blog?

0 comments
      It always amazes me when I hear about a technician who quits one repair shop to go work at another shop for less money. I know you have heard of this too, and you’ve probably asked yourself, “Can this be true? And Why?” The answer rests within the culture of the company. More specifically, the boss, manager, or a toxic work environment literally pushed the technician out the door.
      While money and benefits tend to attract people to a company, it won’t keep them there. When a technician begins to look over the fence for greener grass, that is usually a sign that something is wrong within the workplace. It also means that his or her heart is probably already gone. If the issue is not resolved, no amount of money will keep that technician for the long term. The heart is always the first to leave. The last thing that leaves is the technician’s toolbox.
      Shop owners: Focus more on employee retention than acquisition. This is not to say that you should not be constantly recruiting. You should. What it does means is that once you hire someone, your job isn’t over, that’s when it begins. Get to know your technicians. Build strong relationships. Have frequent one-on-ones. Engage in meaningful conversation. Find what truly motivates your technicians. You may be surprised that while money is a motivator, it’s usually not the prime motivator.
      One last thing; the cost of technician turnover can be financially devastating. It also affects shop morale. Do all you can to create a workplace where technicians feel they are respected, recognized, and know that their work contributes to the overall success of the company. This will lead to improved morale and team spirit. Remember, when you see a technician’s toolbox rolling out of the bay on its way to another shop, the heart was most likely gone long before that.
  • Similar Topics

• By carmcapriotto
      Thanks to our Partners, AAPEX, NAPA TRACS, and Automotive Management Network "Research has shown that people forget 90% of what they "learn" in 30 days unless it's reinforced. But reinforcement isn't enough. Today's Class training uses forced recall, a method that creates pathways in a learner's brain, helping them retain information more effectively." David Boyes, from Today's Class, discusses how daily gamification on Today's Class' app can enhance engagement and learning through individual and team-based competitions, rewards points, and prizes. “It’s microdosing of training. It’s a set of daily questions on a daily basis." David Boyes, President of ‘Today’s Class”  An online learning organization that has been supporting the automotive industry for more than 20 years. David's previous episodes HERE Show Notes
      Daily Dose of Top Tier Training: Today’s Class [THA 371]: https://remarkableresults.biz/remarkable-results-radio-podcast/a371/ Today’s Class: Adaptive Learning Technology [RR 879]: https://remarkableresults.biz/remarkable-results-radio-podcast/e879/ Training Platform (00:01:52) David Boyes talks about his training platform, Today's Class, and its relevance in the industry. Gamification and Engagement (00:02:08) The discussion on how gamification can be used to encourage engagement and learning in the automotive industry. Gamification Features (00:03:03) The various forms of gamification and its role in enhancing the overall learning experience. Rewards Points and Competition (00:04:01) The use of rewards points and individual/ team-based competition as default gamification features. Customizing Gamification (00:05:15) How Today's Class can be tailored to fit the unique needs and culture of each organization. Incentives and Prizes (00:09:06) The potential for using awards, prizes, and bragging rights to drive desired behaviors. Team-Based Engagement (00:07:13) The power of team-based engagement and how it can benefit the overall team dynamic. Training Platform Overview (00:07:54) A brief explanation of Today's Class as a training platform with a different approach to traditional online training. Variety in Gamification Goals (00:09:06) The importance of variety in gamification goals to keep the learning experience fresh and engaging. Innovative Gamification Ideas (00:10:55) Creative ideas and examples of gamification rewards and incentives used by different groups. Leaderboards and Competition (00:12:36) The visibility of leaderboards and the inter-competitive play between different shops. Collaboration and Contributions (00:17:16) The involvement of parts providers or tool trucks in providing rewards and incentives for gamification. Duration of Competitions (00:19:10) The duration of gamification competitions, whether they typically last monthly or quarterly. Gamification Reset Frequency (00:19:31) David explains the importance of resetting the scoreboard monthly for a fresh competition. Setting Up Gamification Groups (00:22:46) David explains the process for onboarding new shops into gamification groups and the 90-day training cycle. Gamification as a Benefit (00:24:16) David emphasizes that gamification is a benefit but not enough to drive the platform's usage, highlighting the importance of learning and development. Thanks to our Partners, AAPEX, NAPA TRACS, and Automotive Management Network Set your sights on Las Vegas in 2024. Mark your calendar now … November 5th-7th, 2024. AAPEX - Now more than ever. And don’t miss the next free AAPEX webinar. Register now at http://AAPEXSHOW.COM/WEBINAR NAPA TRACS will move your shop into the SMS fast lane with onsite training and six days a week of support and local representation. Find NAPA TRACS on the Web at http://napatracs.com/ Get ready to grow your business with the Automotive Management Network: Find on the Web at http://AftermarketManagementNetwork.com for information that can help you move your business ahead and for the free and informative http://LaborRateTracker.com Connect with the Podcast: -Follow on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RemarkableResultsRadioPodcast/ -Join Our Private Facebook Community: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1734687266778976 -Join Our Virtual Toastmasters Club: https://remarkableresults.biz/toastmasters -Subscribe on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/carmcapriotto -Follow on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/carmcapriotto/ -Follow on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/remarkableresultsradiopodcast/ -Follow on Twitter: https://twitter.com/RResultsBiz -Visit the Website: https://remarkableresults.biz/ -Join our Insider List: https://remarkableresults.biz/insider -All books mentioned on our podcasts: https://remarkableresults.biz/books -Our Classroom page for personal or team learning: https://remarkableresults.biz/classroom -Buy Me a Coffee: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/carm -The Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com -Special episode collections: https://remarkableresults.biz/collections                    
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By carmcapriotto
      Thanks to our Partner, NAPA Auto Care Rick White from 180Biz, discusses the importance of creating an environment where team members feel safe to express themselves, offer advice, and hold owners accountable without fear of reprisal. The conversation highlights the role of clear standards, effective communication, and trust in fostering such an environment. Rick emphasizes the need for continuous improvement and learning from mistakes, underscoring the positive impact of a supportive and psychologically safe workplace on team members' growth and business success. Rick White, President and Lead Coach for 180BIZ, Listen to Rick’s previous episodes HERE. [email protected] Show Notes
      Psychological Safety (00:00:16) Discussion on the significance of psychological safety in business and the impact it has on team comfort and productivity. Breast Cancer Awareness (00:00:57) Promotion of the Brakes for Breast program and its fundraising efforts for triple negative breast cancer research. https://brakesforbreasts.com Impact of COVID-19 (00:02:03) Observations on the impact of COVID-19 on psychological safety and the need for safe spaces and a sense of community. Standards and Safety in Business (00:05:30) Importance of creating a safe environment in the workplace, including physical safety, standards, and the impact on vehicle reliability. Leadership and Communication (00:07:37) Discussion on how leadership, communication, and trust contribute to creating a high-trust environment and psychological safety. Creating a Safe Environment (00:10:26) Discussion on creating a safe and empowering environment for employees, including the role of boundaries, values, and beliefs. Continuous Improvement and Psychological Safety (00:11:33) Encouragement for open communication, feedback, and continuous improvement to enhance psychological safety in the workplace. Promoting Psychological Safety (00:16:46) Importance of clear and consistent messaging, addressing mistakes as teachable moments, and promoting psychological safety in the workplace. Mistakes and Learning (00:17:57) Discussion on allowing mistakes, learning from them, and the importance of giving room for growth. Holding Ourselves Accountable (00:23:48) The significance of holding oneself to the same standards as others and taking responsibility for mistakes. Identity and Confidence Building (00:28:01) Discussion on building confidence, changing one's identity, and gaining encouragement in leadership roles. The Six C's for Change (00:31:13) Explanation of the six C's - choice, commit, courage, confidence in capabilities, and competence. Creating a Better Work Environment (00:34:38) Discussion on improving the work environment by taking inspiration from places like Starbucks. Challenges of the Modern Workforce (00:35:38) Addressing the challenges faced by the modern workforce, including the need to handle setbacks and the impact of parenting on work readiness. Personal and Professional Growth (00:37:03) Exploring personal and professional growth through dedication and effort. Leadership and Team Communication (00:42:18) The evolution of leadership style towards collaboration and effective team communication. Coaching and Industry Support (00:45:09) The value of coaching and industry support for business owners in the automotive aftermarket sector.
      Thanks to our Partner, NAPA Auto Care Learn more about NAPA Auto Care and the benefits of being part of the NAPA family by visiting https://www.napaonline.com/en/auto-care Connect with the Podcast: -Follow on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RemarkableResultsRadioPodcast/ -Join Our Virtual Toastmasters Club: https://remarkableresults.biz/toastmasters -Join Our Private Facebook Community: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1734687266778976 -Subscribe on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/carmcapriotto -Follow on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/carmcapriotto/ -Follow on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/remarkableresultsradiopodcast/ -Follow on Twitter: https://twitter.com/RResultsBiz -Visit the Website: https://remarkableresults.biz/ -Join our Insider List: https://remarkableresults.biz/insider -All books mentioned on our podcasts: https://remarkableresults.biz/books -Our Classroom page for personal or team learning: https://remarkableresults.biz/classroom -Buy Me a Coffee: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/carm -The Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com -Special episode collections: https://remarkableresults.biz/collections
    • By carmcapriotto
      Thanks to our Partner, Shop Boss Tom Petty discusses the critical importance of technical training in the automotive industry. By addressing the skills gap, developing young talent, investing in continuous training, and embracing technological advancements, the industry can ensure a skilled and competent workforce ready to tackle the challenges of modern automotive technology. Tom Petty, Petty Motorworks, Waretown, NJ. Tom's previous episodes HERE Show Notes
      The importance of technical training (00:00:06) Tom Petty emphasizes the need for shop owners to be engaged in creating a culture of technical training. The changing automotive industry (00:00:27) The automotive industry is rapidly evolving, and in-house training and mentorship are crucial for staying competitive. Cultivating young talent (00:02:18) Establishing apprentice programs and developing young individuals with the right skills and attitude for the automotive industry. Building a supportive network (00:05:12) The importance of collaboration and support among local automotive shops to develop and nurture young talent. Identifying and nurturing talent (00:07:21) Recognizing individuals with basic skill sets and natural aptitude and cultivating them into valuable technicians. Challenges in the industry (00:08:51) The industry's failure to focus on education and talent development leading to frustration and departure of potential talent. Thanks to our Partner, Shop Boss Shop Boss – Shop Management Software built by shop owners, for shop owners. It works the way you need it to, right out of the box. Find on the web at https://shopboss.net Connect with the Podcast: -Follow on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RemarkableResultsRadioPodcast/ -Join Our Virtual Toastmasters Club: https://remarkableresults.biz/toastmasters -Join Our Private Facebook Community: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1734687266778976 -Subscribe on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/carmcapriotto -Follow on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/carmcapriotto/ -Follow on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/remarkableresultsradiopodcast/ -Follow on Twitter: https://twitter.com/RResultsBiz -Visit the Website: https://remarkableresults.biz/ -Join our Insider List: https://remarkableresults.biz/insider -All books mentioned on our podcasts: https://remarkableresults.biz/books -Our Classroom page for personal or team learning: https://remarkableresults.biz/classroom -Buy Me a Coffee: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/carm -The Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com -Special episode collections: https://remarkableresults.biz/collections  
    • By carmcapriotto
      Thanks to our Partners, NAPA TRACS, AutoFix Auto Shop Coaching, and Today's Class Tenise and Weston Chapman, owners of Black Hills Tire in Rapid City, South Dakota, discuss their initiative, Camp Drive. This hands-on camp introduces young people to the automotive industry through engaging activities like brake and alignment modules, electrical scans, and engine performance sessions. The Chapmans discuss the Camp's positive impact on participants, support from local schools and businesses, and plans for expansion. They highlight the importance of inspiring the next generation of automotive professionals and the enthusiastic feedback from both kids and parents. Tenise and Weston Chapman, Black Hills Tire, Rapid City, SD. Listen to previous episodes HERE Show Notes
      Camp Drive Concept (00:01:50) Introduction to Camp Drive initiative, its purpose, and the importance of skilled trades for young people. Camp Drive Activities (00:03:08) Description of the activities and sessions at Camp Drive, including the waiting list for participation. Engaging the Participants (00:05:19) Discussion on the hands-on activities and the excitement of the participants during the camp. Parent and Community Feedback (00:08:31) Feedback from parents and the community regarding the impact of Camp Drive on the participants. Support and Sponsorship (00:11:02) Support from aftermarket suppliers, tool companies, and businesses, as well as the non-profit status of the initiative. Expanding Camp Drive (00:12:14) Expansion of Camp Drive to include more stations and activities, including welding and HVAC modules. Logistics and Community Support (00:14:01) Management of time and community involvement in providing additional experiences for the participants. Engagement and Participation (00:15:02) The engagement of participants and the approach to ensuring their focus and involvement during the camp activities. The smiling and excited kids (00:15:42) A discussion about a young participant's enthusiasm and transformation during the camp. Interviewing students and industry encouragement (00:19:13) The importance of encouraging young people to pursue careers in the automotive industry. Dane's experience and career aspirations (00:24:28) An interview with a student, Dane, who shares his experience at the camp and expresses his career aspirations in the automotive industry. Savannah's interest in welding and automotive technology (00:31:44) An interview with Savannah, who shares her interest in welding and her experience at the camp. The competition (00:33:22) Discussion about an upcoming competition and the number of teams participating. Exploring different stations (00:33:39)The various stations at the camp, including HVAC, alignment, scanning, engines, welding, changing tires, and changing oil. Learning about automotive skills (00:34:10) The participant talks about learning to change oil, spark plugs, and brakes, and gaining knowledge about suspensions and spark plugs. Impact of the Camp (00:35:24) A participant shares their positive experience at the camp and how they learned about it through radio advertising. Career prospects (00:36:27) Discussion about the potential career opportunities in the automotive industry and the high-tech nature of the field. Experience of a 12-year-old participant (00:38:09) An interview with a 12-year-old participant who shares their excitement about welding and other activities at the camp. Engagement and hands-on learning (00:42:49) A station leader discusses the engagement and excitement of the young participants and the hands-on learning approach at the camp. Community involvement and career prospects (00:45:17) Discussion about the importance of community involvement and events like Camp Drive to introduce young people to the automotive industry as a high-tech career option. Success of the Camp and future plans (00:46:30) Reflection on the success of the camp, the engagement of the young participants, and plans for future editions, including potential additions like a plasma cutter. The importance of engaging young people (00:49:42) Discussion on the need for the automotive industry to engage with young people to secure its future workforce. Thanks to our Partner, NAPA TRACS NAPA TRACS will move your shop into the SMS fast lane with onsite training and six days a week of support and local representation. Find NAPA TRACS on the Web at http://napatracs.com/ Thanks to our Partner, Auto-Fix Auto Shop Coaching Proven Auto Shop Coaching with Results. Over 61 Million in ROI with an Average ROI of 9x. Find Coach Chris Cotton at AutoFix Auto Shop Coaching on the Web at https://autoshopcoaching.com/ Thanks to our Partner, Today's Class Optimize training with Today's Class: In just 5 minutes daily, boost knowledge retention and improve team performance. Find Today's Class on the web at https://www.todaysclass.com/ Connect with the Podcast: -Follow on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RemarkableResultsRadioPodcast/ -Join Our Private Facebook Community: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1734687266778976 -Subscribe on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/carmcapriotto -Follow on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/carmcapriotto/ -Follow on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/remarkableresultsradiopodcast/ -Follow on X (Twitter): https://twitter.com/RResultsBiz -Visit the Website: https://remarkableresults.biz/ -Join our Insider List: https://remarkableresults.biz/insider -All books mentioned on our podcasts: https://remarkableresults.biz/books -Our Classroom page for personal or team learning: https://remarkableresults.biz/classroom -Buy Me a Coffee: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/carm -The Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com -Special episode collections: https://remarkableresults.biz/collections                                  
    • By carmcapriotto
      Thanks to our Partners, AAPEX, NAPA TRACS, and Automotive Management Network Matt Fanslow and Carm Capriotto share their experiences at the NAPA Autotech Training Research Center in Canton, OH. Matt highlights the importance of safety and professional training in handling high-voltage systems in electric and hybrid vehicles. Both emphasize the need for shops to invest in ongoing education, advanced tools, and equipment to stay ahead in the evolving automotive industry, particularly with the rise of ADAS and EV technologies. Matt Fanslow, Senior Technology Specialist and shop manager, Riverside Automotive, Red Wing, MN. Matt’s previous episodes HERE Matt Fanslow Podcast: Diagnosing the Aftermarket A to Z Show Notes
      Watch Full Video Episode Buffalo Wing Challenge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRNmpKMNcCg Kansas City Chicken Wing Challenge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gblPWsIA3A4 Advanced Fundamentals of Krispy Kreme Waffles with Isaac Rodell: https://youtu.be/7v1PwWYHPFA?si=0ZgIyXLtNNinslZO The Brakes for Breasts initiative (00:00:01) https://www.brakesforbreasts.com/ Arrival at the NAPA EV Ready Training Center (00:01:22) Carm and Matt Fanslow arrive at the NAPA EV Ready Training Center in Canton, OH and discuss their impressions of the facility. Impressions of the EV training (00:01:44) Matt Fanslow expresses his initial skepticism about the EV training but is impressed by the curriculum, presentation, and passion of the instructor Bill Weaver. Importance of safety in EV training (00:03:19) Matt Fanslow emphasizes the importance of safety in working with high voltage systems and the need for a healthy respect for the dangers involved. Learning and reinforcing knowledge (00:06:35) Matt Fanslow discusses the importance of learning and reinforcing knowledge. Understanding electrical safety (00:08:05) Matt Fanslow and Carm discuss the importance of understanding electrical safety, including concepts like ghost voltage and arc flash. The need for respect and preparation in EV business (00:16:28) The need for respect and preparation in entering the EV business, urging shops to be proactive rather than reactive. The Evolution of Technology in the Automotive Industry (00:21:56) Highlighting the significance of staying updated with technological advancements and the impact on the automotive industry. Preparing for the Future of EVs (00:25:45) Discussion about the proactive approach to preparing for the future of electric vehicles and the need for specialized equipment and training. The Complexities and Responsibilities of Working with EVs (00:28:16) Addressing the complexities and responsibilities involved in working with electric vehicles and the need for specialized knowledge and training. Safety and Standards in EVs (00:31:55) Discussion about safety precautions and standards in dealing with electric vehicles and the differences between regions. Tools and Equipment for EV Maintenance (00:33:20) Exploring the necessity and benefits of specialized tools and equipment for maintaining electric vehicles. Respecting High Voltage Systems (00:36:09) Emphasizing the importance of respecting and being cautious around high voltage systems in electric vehicles. Thanks to our Partners, AAPEX, NAPA TRACS, and Automotive Management Network Set your sights on Las Vegas in 2024. Mark your calendar now … November 5th-7th, 2024. AAPEX - Now more than ever. And don’t miss the next free AAPEX webinar. Register now at http://AAPEXSHOW.COM/WEBINAR NAPA TRACS will move your shop into the SMS fast lane with onsite training and six days a week of support and local representation. Find NAPA TRACS on the Web at http://napatracs.com/ Get ready to grow your business with the Automotive Management Network: Find on the Web at http://AftermarketManagementNetwork.com for information that can help you move your business ahead and for the free and informative http://LaborRateTracker.com Connect with the Podcast: -Follow on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RemarkableResultsRadioPodcast/ -Join Our Private Facebook Community: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1734687266778976 -Subscribe on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/carmcapriotto -Follow on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/carmcapriotto/ -Follow on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/remarkableresultsradiopodcast/ -Follow on Twitter: https://twitter.com/RResultsBiz -Visit the Website: https://remarkableresults.biz/ -Join our Insider List: https://remarkableresults.biz/insider -All books mentioned on our podcasts: https://remarkableresults.biz/books -Our Classroom page for personal or team learning: https://remarkableresults.biz/classroom -Buy Me a Coffee: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/carm -The Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com -Special episode collections: https://remarkableresults.biz/collections                    

• Similar Tagged Content

• Our Sponsors