Quantcast

Broken Parts

ADP

Are you guys charging your techs for parts they break? In the past we have never made our techs pay for something they broke, the shop did and talked to the tech about what they need to do to prevent this in the future. It's getting old though. 2 weeks ago one young tech back a mirror into a pole so we bought a new mirror. This week, a different tech while removing a fuel tank, didn't discount the fuel lines on top first and ended up dropping the tank too fast and broke the fuel sending unit. On this truck that is a $300+ part that we are now eating on a $500 ticket. I want to tell the tech he is responsible, and will have to pay the shop back for the part. What say you? 

That would destroy morale at your shop IMO.

Hold the techs responsible with reprimand in private, give them first a verbal write-up and let them know that if it happens a few more times they would be formally written up then possibly terminated.

There are consequences to your actions, even if it is a mistake, but hitting your techs with deductions to their pay should not be one of them.

Damages like this are a cost of doing business unfortunately. Things will sometimes get damaged. Check with your accountant, there might be a tax loss provision you could claim on something like this as well.

• Like 1

I agree with bstewart, unfortunate cost of doing business. Everyone makes a mistake occasionally hence erasers on pencils. Most people learn from their mistakes but some do not. If a tech is constantly making mistakes that is a sign of being careless. I would then be worried about the mistakes that go under the radar and are not noticed, sooner or later they will surface. I don’t know if requiring payment for something like this is legal so I would investigate that further if you choose to go that route. Documenting the mistakes, private meetings with the employee with eventual termination for chronic offenders would be my route.

Mistakes happen. Small, sub-$200 stuff, I'll eat if it's a once every few months kind of deal. I tell my techs when I hire them - If they damage a customers car, or break something due to their negligence  - first time, it's on me. 2nd time, it's on you. If there's a 3rd time, you won't be here.

First off, you would need to check with a lawyer to find out if you could even do that.  Second, its a cost of doing business.  Your technicians should not be breaking parts to the point its seriously costing you money.  Stuff happens but when it's consistently happening, there's a training issue at hand.  I have to agree with bstewart, your techs need to be reprimanded.  If they continue to break things, eventually you will have to let them go.  Don't put up with carelessness but also don't jump to conclusions.  Handle the situation with a calm and level headed demeanor.  Protect your business and yourself.

1 hour ago, ATSAutomotive said:

First off, you would need to check with a lawyer to find out if you could even do that.  Second, its a cost of doing business.  Your technicians should not be breaking parts to the point its seriously costing you money.  Stuff happens but when it's consistently happening, there's a training issue at hand.  I have to agree with bstewart, your techs need to be reprimanded.  If they continue to break things, eventually you will have to let them go.  Don't put up with carelessness but also don't jump to conclusions.  Handle the situation with a calm and level headed demeanor.  Protect your business and yourself.

that's what I've always done. Just wanted to hear from others

• 1 month later...

I watched this happen to a fellow tech before I was an owner. We were working at a good year shop. This technician leaned a wheel against the building. The wheel then fell over (on its face) when he turned around. Of course this was an expensive aftermarket wheel. It scratched the finish, and the customer demanded a new wheel. The manager pulled the tech aside to talk with him. I later found out that they made him pay for this wheel (couple hundred dollars) and were docking his paycheck for it. I was furious. The tech was kind of a push over, and didn’t want to make waves so agreed to pay for it. I remember telling him : if we are taking all the risk, then we should be getting all of the reward. It gave me a bad attitude, and I wasn’t even the one taking the hit. As an owner, it is very frustrating watching $ go up in smoke for careless mistakes, but as long as I see some remorse from the technician, I try to shake it off and make money on the next one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with pretty much everyone here it’s the cost of doing business but if it’s a daily thing guys need to be let go. Another thing to remember is your techs are the most important part of your business, you start docking guys pay they will find another way to get it back, I.e. charging your customers for things they don’t need and not doing them, just my thoughts here in a shop owner now but never left my flat rate dealership mindset 

• 2 weeks later...