Quantcast

UsedTireShop

Is there a trick to getting the car?

Since I have switched from used tires to more NEW tires and service I have struggled getting people to leave me their cars. Why does everyone think that getting their vehicle repaired is like buying a gallon of milk? Do they really think they will be in and out quickly? I am in no rush to repair vehicles. My belief is that when it's right, it's ready.

I have worked for many shops and it is always the rush jobs that never get the attention needed. I remember some schmuck service adviser yacking my ear off to hurry the oil change up. When this happened I would be forced to drain, fill and ship.

I was at a Dodge dealership today dropping off a customers car for a clock spring recall and I heard this women go out into the shop and yell "waiter here". I felt kind of bad for the customer getting a drain, fill and ship or a set the toe and let it go. You could hear by her voice that waiters are hurry, hurry, hurry.

Don't people want a good job done and if so don't they know better to drop it off?

Quick lubes? Who the hell would want a quick lube. This is not pizza delivery. I would want a long lube. Change my oil and filter, grease the complete chassis, vacuum my floors, lube my doors, clean my windshield, check my air pressures and so on.

Maybe I will be the first shop to offer the "Long Lube".

I can't stand the pressure of the customer getting up out of the chair and looking out the window into the shop and then looking at his or her watch. I am real close to taking the chairs out of the waiting room and placing stickers of foot prints on the floor against the wall. LOL

Please tell me your word track.

post-1819-0-58118400-1423282329_thumb.png

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• Customer's buying their own parts

Hey guys. I'm new to the forum and was looking for this subject but couldn't find it. Sorry If I'm posted something that's already been discussed. I own a brake shop in Austin, TX. We do anywhere from 10-20 brake jobs a day. We only do brakes so I don't know how much full service auto shops deal with this problem but... Customers are constantly calling in claiming they've bought the best parts or they want to provide their own parts because they've done research and know what is best. This drives me crazy. First of all they don't know whats best. Then after being told no they get offended and act like tons of shops allow this. What is the best way to handle these customers? Just send them away? I'll quote them a price using our parts and they act as though its a rip off. What shops are doing this for their customers? I feel like I'm letting jobs get away from me. Any experience with this?

By Jonathan Ganther, in General Automotive Discussion

• 78 replies
    • Rare Openings in Elite's Pro Service Peer Group

Elite Pro Service is a peer group made up of 90 of the most successful shop owners in North America, and is always full, but as of 11/14 we have a couple of rare openings! "Rare" isn't an exaggeration, as well over half of the 90 shop owners in this peer group have been members since Pro Service was started over 10 years ago. In a world where information is everywhere, it is the quality of the information you have access to that will separate you from the competition, and at Elite we feel there's no equal to the quality of real-time data and best practices that come directly from 90 of the industry's top shop owners. Pro Service is more than a “20 Group” process; it is a community. Not only do our Colleagues believe that 90 minds are better than the standard 10-20 that are most groups, but just about every colleague will tell you that Pro Service has connected them with lifelong friends. There have been several occasions where a Colleague was in trouble with their business, and other Colleagues would “jump on a plane” to help them in any way they could. Pro Service is a caring culture. It’s not only about increasing profits, but about becoming better leaders who create better lives for their employees, take better care of their customers, and make more meaningful impacts on their communities.  It’s about achieving personal and business success, but also about elevating our great industry and every life it touches. It is worth your time to visit the Pro Service web page to learn more. Pro Service Benefits 90 successful, business savvy shop owners working with you to improve your shop’s performance One-on-one coaching from a nationally recognized business coach with over 20 years of coaching experience and over 40 years spent in the Automotive industry Comprehensive host shop meetings performed twice a year, including onsite shop visits, collaboration and training to provide immediate solutions to current issues Yearly Pro Service Conference with training from outside the industry addressing leadership, marketing, recruiting, employee retention, succession planning and more! Monthly online meetings to keep you tuned up Information-rich financial Dashboard with charting, trending and analytics to benchmark performance Extensive library of information resources developed for owners, service advisors, managers and technical staff Support 24/7 To learn more or to find out if you qualify, visit the Elite Pro Service web page: https://www.eliteworldwide.com/20-group.html 

By Elite Worldwide Inc., in Shop Management Coaching, Business Training, Consulting

• 0 replies
    • Tires - are we competitive or low?

Hi,   I am a small auto shop owner;  I am trying to see if we are competitive or low in our prices for mounting, balancing etc.   Mounting 9.99 Balancing 9.99 Disposal 2.00 Vlave stems 2.99 tire rotation 10.00   We are in central New Jersey Thanks  Denise

By Denise Thiel, in Automotive Products & Services

• 4 replies
    • Enhanced your vehicle multipoint inspections with Video

Has any signed up or know of this product? "Truvideo" BG has partnered with a company called Truvideo.  The process allows you to take a short video of the car and document any issues. The video is then sent to the customer, either thru a text message or email. The tech or service advisor narrates the video.  The customer can see on video things like worn brakes, worn tires, a leaking hose, etc.   I think that this has its place in the multipoint process. Below is a link for more information. Your thoughts? https://www.bgprod.com/programs/truvideo/  

By Joe Marconi, in The Customer Experience

• 7 replies
    • Workshop for service writer training?

Anyone know or recommend a company that offers a 3-5 day workshop to train a service writer/manager to learn how to SELL and manage tech workflow? Not looking for a consulting firm wanting thousands of dollars. We have an awesome personable approachable person who was one of our techs and wants to move up front but needs help. Thanks so much for your input

By babyhydro, in Workflow Management

• 14 replies
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors