Quantcast

The ATM - a fantasy story about robots taking over for mechanics... or is it real?

The ATM

A bunch of the higher ups at a corporate owned big city dealership were looking at their end of the year numbers and were trying to figure out where they could save a few bucks. It wasn’t hard to find the largest expense in their operation. It was the mechanics salary. Now all they had to do was figure out a way to keep more of the gross profits in their pockets instead of spending it on those grease covered employees down in the service bays.

It was up to the R&D department to come up with a concept and get back to the higher ups. They talked to a guy fixing his own car out in the parking lot. They asked around at the nearby discount auto parts center. They even discussed how they could provide repair services at all hours of the day and night without having to hire a single mechanic. As for the diagnostic side of things, the general consensus from the DIY’rs they talked to was that if they knew what was wrong, they could fix it themselves. Their plan was sounding pretty good on paper. Funny thing though, the only people they didn’t talk to was… the actual customers and the mechanics.

They compiled their analysis, ran it through a computer simulation and came up with this conclusion. The mechanic/technician field is a highly skilled trade that requires a great deal of mechanical aptitude as well as advanced knowledge in electronics and hydraulics. As well as knowing how to use sophisticated tools and computer systems. It also requires continual training in new equipment, procedures, and even newer systems. The investment into maintaining a top notch technician is quite expensive. (All of which the higher ups wanted to avoid.)

The R&D report was sent to the higher ups. The higher ups came to the conclusion that as long as you could diagnose a problem the rest of it is just changing a part. “This car repair stuff is easy to do. Why don’t we get a computer to do all of this? It could work 24-7, what a concept!”

So the plan came down to this. Devise a way to not only diagnose a car, but be able to repair it at any time of the day or night without having to pay for any high priced mechanics. How? Simple, they invented the ATM. The “Automated Technician Machine”. A 24 hour, credit card operated, self-serve, automotive diagnostic and repair center for the DIY’r. This machine had a diagnostic hook up for the car, with complete diagrams and all the needed tools at their disposal. These service bays would be capable of dispensing the needed fluids, parts, and the tools too. It didn’t take long before the higher ups threw even more money at this project and converted all the service bays into these ‘coin-operated’ contraptions and all the ‘human’ mechanics were given ‘the’ pink slip.

For the first month or so, the higher ups were smiling from ear to ear with their pet project. Gone were all those high paid technicians in the service bays. The DIY repair mode was in full swing. But, it wasn’t long before problems started coming up. First it was a stuck ball joint that the computer couldn’t help with. Next it was an electrical problem where it advised replacing everything even though it was just a broken wire in clear view. Then, it was a broken stud that the computer couldn’t figure out, and more than once, some character got upset and didn’t understand the information provided, and took their frustration out by damaging the machine. Even though the info was as accurate as possible, there was still something missing.

The answers were the ‘by the book’ type answers and it would only work properly if the car was as it was from the factory. Any deviation from the original … any at all… and the ATM would go berserk, causing even more chaos. The problems just kept adding up.

Soon, it wasn’t only their customers that were having issues with these ATM’s, it was the city who was on their backs now. Seems, they didn’t consider the fact that they needed a license to operate vending machines in the city limits, and there were additional taxes owed to the city too. The cost of operating these ATM’s kept climbing. The higher ups started to think this wasn’t such a good idea. “We didn’t have these kinds of problems when we had mechanics!” they told each other. So, what do you think these white shirts did now? Well, they spent even more money. They hired in a bunch of other white shirts to examine the problem.

Soon, there was more money going out the door than there was coming in. After several months of research, more broken machines, more upset customers, and tons of none returned tools that had to be replaced, and cars abandoned in service bays after the owners had given up on the repairs, the evaluation team had their answers. A meeting was set up for the next afternoon in a large suite on the top floor of a huge skyscraper, miles from the chaotic scene at the dealership. The number crunchers were there, as well as the vice-presidents, the vice-vice presidents, and the executives to the vice presidents. All the white shirts were leaning back in their overstuffed office chairs waiting for the answer that would lead them to an even higher skyscraper and more dividends. The higher ups asked the team of evaluators, “We expect something worthy of your six figure fee for evaluating all of this. So, what’s your grand solution to this mess?”

They answered,

“Hire the mechanics back!”

The moral of this story;

When it comes to repairing your car, it still takes the human touch. The kind you’ll find with an experienced mechanic. Things like a stuck ball joint, a broken bolt and other problems that are associated with automotive repair are all part of the daily routine. With practice and a bit of mechanical know how, mechanics find ways of getting around the so called ‘by the book’ repairs and solve a lot of issues that can’t be solved any other way. Those higher ups are smart guys and gals, but their training in what they know isn’t acquired in the same manner as the way a mechanic’s skills are. There’s a lot more to repairing something than reading a book or hooking a computer up to it. Seriously, if it was easy… anybody could do it…but it’s not as easy as it looks.

Consider this; it takes a lot of OJT to be an ATM. Oh, and I don’t mean one of those ‘Automated Technician Machines’, that acronym has a completely different meaning down here in the service bay. There are a lot of people out there who admire the skills of a good technician, who understand the complexities of this job, and are more than thankful such guys and gals are out there. As a customer or a fellow technician, you may know of one of them… one of those ATM’s that is, an “Appreciated Technician-Mechanic”.

View full article

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • Similar Topics

• By Joe Marconi
      Last October the doctors found a large infection and abscess in my large intestine that perforated into my abdomen. I required emergency surgery to remove the abscess; removing about six inches of my large intestine.  That was step one: This past January, I needed an additional surgery to remove another 4 inches, and repair other areas of my intestines.  Thankfully, I am fine, with no lasting issues.  It will take about a year to fully recover, but all is well.
      I am telling you this for one reason: What if something were to happen to you?  Will your shop survive? What about your family?  These were the things I thought about when I was laid up in the hospital.
      Create a continuity plan to prepare for a crisis. Make sure you have a will and enough life insurance. Build a business where it can be run by the systems and procedures you out into place.  
      Lastly, ENJOY the fruits of your labor! When I woke up after the surgery with tubes inside me and in my arms, It became clear that the things we worry about in business are really not that important. 
      Take care of yourself ! 

• By ncautoshop
      Many of us were once techs, but now hold the management role within our facilities - and as much as we'd love to say we're as technically proficient as we once were, the reality is technology is changing SO quickly that it's tough at times to stay on top of it! 
      Scan tools are being released at a dizzying pace, and the features required aren't what they were 5 years ago!
      In this episode of the ASOG Podcast, David and I talk with Brandon Dills of Jarhead Diagnostics about just that! 
      Brandon shares his scan tool choices and what tool, if he could choose only one, that he would purchase!
      We also talk some techncian perspective and there's even some dealer perspective in there! 
      Make sure you listen to the whole things, as there's some killer information mixed in 😉
      You can listen on your favorite listening app here:
      https://www.buzzsprout.com/1182755/7851337-asog-podcast-ep-21-is-your-shop-under-equipped-with-brandon-dills-of-jarhead-diagnostics
      There's also a live premiere on YouTube currently! Go and share your opinion with other listeners!
      Please considering liking, subscribing, sharing, reviewing or commenting on your favorite platform! It really helps us know how to better serve this community!
      https://youtu.be/J7Wu29AA_FM
    • By ncautoshop
      We all have this idea starting out that owning a business is the same thing as having the keys to the building, turning the lights on, and getting to work....in our case, getting to work fixing cars. 
      But as most of us have figured out by now, it's not what it seems from the outside looking in.
      In my business, one of the toughest challenges I've faced is creating a culture that I can be proud of. Conveying to our people the WHY behind the what. 
      While it took years to build, a realization I had no clue what my "WHY" was, and a number of missteps - in the past few years the culture of my facility has begun to develop....and in many ways, it develops itself now through the amazing team we have in place. 
      This episode of the podcast is titled "How to keep talent from leaving" but in it's entirety this episode is much more than keeping talent from leaving... It's some of the fundamentals one of the greats of the business, Dwayne Myers, uses daily in his business. 
      I know David and I both gained a ton of knowledge from this chat, so take a listen and let us know your thoughts on culture and going a step above for your staff.
      It's also worth noting that those of us who are patrons got quite a laugh out of what's become quite a running joke with David - It should be noted that this is the first time David hasn't edited out the jokes about the banner or the beaver......
      Speaking of patrons..... We'd love to have you as a patron of the channel. It's the patrons who make the podcast and all of the great offerings within ASOG possible. It's the subscribers and those of you who like or share the podcast that has shown us the hard work is worth it! 
      So if you don't mind, take a few minutes and become a patron! Maybe like and share the podcast? 😁
      The podcast can be heard on all major listening apps here:
      https://www.buzzsprout.com/1182755/8089854-asog-podcast-ep-24-how-to-keep-talent-from-leaving-with-dwayne-myers-of-dynamic-automotive
      It can be viewed on YouTube (Along with ASOG Shorts and AMA's) here:

And if you'd like to become a patron (which includes access to the full AMA videos, early releases and live participation in the AMA events) you can do so here: https://www.patreon.com/AutoShopOwnersGroup
    • By carmcapriotto
      Part one of a 7 part series.
      Barry Barrett, a Certified EOS Implementer
      As an EOS Implementor in his company, Business With Purpose brings dedicated support to Leadership and Sales teams in all types of organizations, helping them structure the six key components of their business to make it operate with the best processes for their specific industry, using the EOS Model.
      Barry’s energy is contagious no matter if he is in a session with a client, giving a keynote address, or rolling up his sleeves in a workshop. Barry is a business coach with his positive mental attitude, incredible work ethic, and determination for excellence, his results-oriented approach is matchless.
      Barry is driven, caring, and passionate; traits that he uses to help his clients grow their businesses in a positive way. Find Barry’s other episodes HERE.

Key Talking Points:
      EOS (entrepreneurial operating system)- helps entrepreneurs get what they want from their businessVision People Data Issues Process Traction  Vision traction healthyGet your leaders on the same page- where you are, where you’re going, and how you will get there Traction- helping leaders become more disciplined and accountable. Executing well to achieve the vision Healthy- healthy and functioning leadership team  Turning people into leaders LeadershipNot born to do- people decide to become leaders Research great leaders and implement step by step processes Function chartStart with writing the function, list the 5 roles and responsibilities, and add the name to the seat  Roles shouldn’t always be based on seniority- instead, who is the most capable? Getting started90-minute meeting- EOS history, introduce ourselves to you, learn about you, about the EOS tools and processes  Focus day after that- if it’s not a right fit or you don’t get value you don’t pay   “Traction” “Get a grip” “What the heck is EOS” all by Gino Wickman Resources:
      Thanks to Barry Barrett for his contribution to the aftermarket’s premier podcast. Link to the ‘BOOKS‘ page highlighting all books discussed in the podcast library HERE. Leaders are readers. Find every podcast episode HERE. Every episode segmented by Series HERE. Key Word Search HERE. Be socially involved and in touch with the show:
      Facebook   Twitter   Linked In   Email
      Listen for free on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spreaker, iHeart Radio, Spotify, Podchaser and many more. Mobile Listening APP's HERE
      Join the Ecosystem - Subscribe to the INSIDER NEWSLETTER HERE.
      Buy me a coffee
      This episode is brought to you by AAPEX, the Automotive Aftermarket Products Expo. AAPEX represents the $740 billion global automotive aftermarket industry and has everything you need to stay ahead of the curve.  The Virtual AAPEX Experience 2020 is in the record books. Virtual AAPEX lived up to presenting leading-technical and business management training from some of the industry’s best and brightest. Now set your sights on the homecoming in Las Vegas in 2021. Mark your calendar now … November 2-4, 2021, AAPEX // Now more than ever.

This episode is brought to you by Shop-Ware Shop Management. It’s time to run your business at its fullest potential with the industry’s leading technology. Shop-Ware Shop Management will increase your efficiency with lightning-fast workflows, help your staff capture more sales every day, and create very happy customers who promote your business. Shops running Shop-Ware have More Time and generate More Profit—join them! Schedule a free live demonstration and find out how 30 minutes can transform your shop at getshopware.com/carm

Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By MINI4U
      We are in desperate need of techs. I tried Indeed and was very dissatisfied with the "talent" they sent us. I am considering Find A Wrench they post on Indeed as well as Zip Recruiter and some 90 other companies as well as social media. Has anyone tried them or ACT Auto Staffing? 

• Our Sponsors